National Security

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
bilde

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Oops, I just "liked" your last two posts....I'm going to go out for a while...I'll make sure I lock the front door before I go....Maybe you should come with me, what about the dogs??:sick:

I really believe the government is in the business of just making **** up and crushing our personal freedom all in one fell swoop...But what do I know?

roadrunner2012

Troll
Google 'Pressure Cookers' and 'Backpacks,' Get a Visit from the Cops - Atlantic Wire

Michele Catalano was looking for information online about pressure cookers. Her husband, in the same time frame, was Googling backpacks. Wednesday morning, six men from a joint terrorism task force showed up at their house to see if they were terrorists. Which prompts the question: How'd the government know what they were Googling?

Maybe I'll get a perm ban instead of just having to have my posts approved, but you do realize that's not the whole story,? Right?

The blogger in question was actually searching for 'pressure cooker bomb' from her work computer. Her employer was the one who gave the tip.

I don't approve of what the present administration is doing on the 'violating my Constitutional Rights' front, but it is a continuation of the powers given to the last administration.

Consistency = honesty.

I only heard the allowed Left Wing posters and wkmac complaining before. The Negro, Marxist, Fascist, Muslim is only doing what has been done for at least a decade, likely two. It's that goose=gander thing.

It's one thing when a member posts some made up from a biased site. It's shameful when a site owner, who people want to trust as objective, posts a biased view of a regrettable incident.

I guess if the guy/gal you work for thinks he should report you to the secret police, you have more than 99 problems.

roadrunner2012

Troll
I really believe the government is in the business of just making **** up and crushing our personal freedom all in one fell swoop...But what do I know?

Do you believe "making stuff up" is something that has changed in the last, say, 40 years?

Is this a recent phenomena, or a long term plan reaching fruition?

When is the last time , outside of swimming in the ocean, did you ever have 'personal freedom'?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Maybe I'll get a perm ban instead of just having to have my posts approved, but you do realize that's not the whole story,? Right?

The blogger in question was actually searching for 'pressure cooker bomb' from her work computer. Her employer was the one who gave the tip.

I don't approve of what the present administration is doing on the 'violating my Constitutional Rights' front, but it is a continuation of the powers given to the last administration.

Consistency = honesty.

I only heard the allowed Left Wing posters and wkmac complaining before. The Negro, Marxist, Fascist, Muslim is only doing what has been done for at least a decade, likely two. It's that goose=gander thing.

It's one thing when a member posts some made up from a biased site. It's shameful when a site owner, who people want to trust as objective, posts a biased view of a regrettable incident.

I guess if the guy/gal you work for thinks he should report you to the secret police, you have more than 99 problems.

In her own words with an update that was posted after the article I posted was written and posted here:
pressure cookers, backpacks and quinoa, oh my!

Do you believe "making stuff up" is something that has changed in the last, say, 40 years?

When is the last time , outside of swimming in the ocean, did you ever have 'personal freedom'?

Unfortunately it's not as simple as blaming one party or administration. If you're interested you can see some more diverse povs by watching Empire of Secrets:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/empire-of-secrets.351223/

roadrunner2012

Troll
Cheryl,
Thank you for letting my original post appear, and taking me out of the queue.

She was turned in by her boss though, right? Not some NSA spying thing?

wkmac

True enough but the irony is who pushed the prosecution and seems like you were defending the Manning prosecution so your posting the cartoon above have a tinge of hypocrisy to it.

If you like you can just "negative" rep me and save time from being in the que. Besides, I need a good laugh!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Cheryl,
Thank you for letting my original post appear, and taking me out of the queue.

She was turned in by her boss though, right? Not some NSA spying thing?
The following is the text of her update added to her blog after I posted the article here:

CLARIFICATION AND UPDATE

We found out through the Suffolk Police Department that the searches involved also things my husband looked up at his old job. We were not made aware of this at the time of questioning and were led to believe it was solely from searches from within our house.

I did not lie or make it up. I wrote the piece with the information that was given. What was withheld from us obviously could not be a part of a story I wrote based on what happened yesterday.

The piece I wrote was the story as we knew it with the information we were told. None of it was fabricated. If you know me, you know I would never do that.

If it was misleading, just know that my intention was the truth. And that was what I knew as the truth until about ten minutes ago. That there were other circumstances involved was something we all were unaware of.

Thank you.

wkmac

The following is the text of her update added to her blog after I posted the article here:

CLARIFICATION AND UPDATE

We found out through the Suffolk Police Department that the searches involved also things my husband looked up at his old job. We were not made aware of this at the time of questioning and were led to believe it was solely from searches from within our house.

I did not lie or make it up. I wrote the piece with the information that was given. What was withheld from us obviously could not be a part of a story I wrote based on what happened yesterday.

The piece I wrote was the story as we knew it with the information we were told. None of it was fabricated. If you know me, you know I would never do that.

If it was misleading, just know that my intention was the truth. And that was what I knew as the truth until about ten minutes ago. That there were other circumstances involved was something we all were unaware of.

Thank you.

It is true the husband was searching on his employer's computer and from other parts of this larger story, I understand he was searching backpacks at it related to camping. The wife was the one searching for pressure cookers so did someone else, say an employer, see her search history and turn her in as well? How was the husband's searches for backpacks connected to the wife's searches for pressure cookers?

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

I said Government not democrats?:knockedout:

40 years ago we didn't have the internet... Also there have been a plethora of these types of stories lately...

Some people just don't care about their liberties being taken away, I do!

roadrunner2012

Troll
I said Government not democrats?:knockedout:

40 years ago we didn't have the internet... Also there have been a plethora of these types of stories lately...

Some people just don't care about their liberties being taken away, I do!

I never mentioned Democrats.

Could you please enumerate your liberties that have been taken away?

wkmac

Michele Catalano: Pressure cooker search was not due to NSA surveillance.

“At a time where we’re treated almost daily to new revelations about covert government surveillance, it’s easy to see why this story found traction,” wrote Wired’s David Kravets and Kevin Poulsen. “But bogus claims of secret data mining and 'profiling' detract from the real news. So please let’s stop.”

Fair enough. So let's just get this all out in the open and on the table. Is your position that the NSA or for that mater, no one from the gov't at all is data mining, gathering data or in any way collecting digitized information from the population at large? I'm just asking about collecting as in storage and not about processing or even reading collected information.

Are you saying this very post I'm making right now is not in any way shape or form, nor ever will be as conditions are at this very moment collected and stored by any gov't entity or any private entity on behalf of the gov't?

Is this your position?