National Sick Day

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The Purple People will never go for it, but the rest of us equipped with brains need to send a message. Will it change anything? No. But it will ruin their day.

BrownBlue

New Jack
You outa organize a wildcat strike. They should do this at Ground to. I mean what the heck do you have to lose anymore, Fred has taken nearly everything away. And for the Groundies, jeez you guys never had anything to take away, what the H are you waiting for?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You outa organize a wildcat strike. They should do this at Ground to. I mean what the heck do you have to lose anymore, Fred has taken nearly everything away. And for the Groundies, jeez you guys never had anything to take away, what the H are you waiting for?

What incentive is there for an employee of a independent contractor to participate in a wildcat strike? This person has absolutely no protection and would be fired on the spot.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You can only have a wildcat strike if you have a union. It simply means an unannounced, sudden strike.

Ricochet1a

Wildcat strikes are by definition, strikes which are taken on a local basis, WITHOUT authority from the main union.

If Express employees were to take a "work action", they would be handed a Warning Letter for the first day they didn't come into work, and their employment would be terminated on the next day if they didn't come in. It would be considered to be a "voluntary resignation" on the employees' part, and they would have NO RECOURSE to get their employment back.

The RLA exists PRECISELY to prevent such a thing if a covered company were to experience a "wildcat strike" (presuming its workforce was already organized and recognized). The RLA provides employers with protections that include the ability of the federal government to ORDER employees who are engaging in strikes that fall outside the "procedures" of the RLA, to be ordered back to work. Companies which are covered under NLRA rules, DON'T have this capability to get the federal government to order employees back to work.

Do some research into the RLA and you'll see why Express has paid so much over the years to keep itself under those rules.

hypo hanna

Forget an organized sickout. Just be the kind of employee THEY created. At all cost avoid doing anything that can be construed as above and beyond. By just doing the minimum at a service oriented business like fedex, you are sending the loudest message possible.

CJinx

The day iphone 5 comes out. That's a perfect day!
Oh dear. Apple is a big enough pain in the ass shipper as it is. Part of me thinks that if you were going to do something like that, an event such as the shipping of a hot new product would be the perfect day to do it; another part of me begs you not to stir up that hornet's nest.

check6ii

Jimmy Burke and Tommy DiSimone and crew PLEEEEZE Come hijack my truck tomorrow and monday!!!! "Back to the hideout and split up the loot"......

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Forget an organized sickout. Just be the kind of employee THEY created. At all cost avoid doing anything that can be construed as above and beyond. By just doing the minimum at a service oriented business like fedex, you are sending the loudest message possible.

The kind of employee THEY created is precisely the kind of employee that calls-in sick on a critical day. Screw them.

MaineGroundDriver

Why would we call in "sick" or "strike"? Our work is increasing, and so is our pay. We have JOB SECURITY.

DontThrowPackages

Anyone hear about AA? Enough pilots are calling in sick causing AA to cancel over 300 flights? Conflict is over contracts and how the company wants to out source some RTEs to non company pilots and such. When I fly,I want a skilled pilot. I don't want to be better at flight simulator that he/she is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why would we call in "sick" or "strike"? Our work is increasing, and so is our pay. We have JOB SECURITY.

Go right on believing, OK? What are you pulling down...11 or 12 dollars an hour? That's some big money!! Fred likes people like you, because you don't know any better. The more Homer Simpsons he has working for him, the better he likes it.