NDA scams

upscorpis

Great job by all of you who have sniffed out these scams. The work at home scam is a big problem as are ASD scams. In general, a large amount of NDA/EAM just springing up out of nowhere is suspicious. Not only is UPS losing money, often those that are shipping end up being victims as well. I really hope this thread has raised the awareness level for this type of activity.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If I had been in our other drivers position I probably would not have thought twice about the situation. This has been an eye opening experience, to say the least. I basically trust people until they prove that they can't be trusted.

eds

Hello everyone, i was referred here by a friend because i almost became a victim of one of these scams.

Long story (as) short (as possible)

The lady sent an im to me through Yahoo, said she would ship me a printer that prints checks (with the MIcR ink) and i would basically be doing payroll for her.

skipping details here but she gave me what turned out to be an invalid (UPS)account number, when a wonderful man at the UPS center near me tracked the number for me, he said the number belonged to someone in another state, of another gender, with a different name. and the account has been cancelled.

either way, there is a printer on its way to my house. my buddy said i should refuse it and have it sent back...there are alot of reasons why i feel weary about this and i havent given her anything but my address.. which, anyone can get anyones address. i will NOT give her anything more than that trust me.

she told me to go to all the local UPS stores and get as many blank ASD as possible so she could "train me" on how to fill them out before the printer arrived.

she kept dancing around the questions i was asking her (by the way this is all taking place on yahoo messenger, she claims she is in paris atm, but she lives in fresno california. i am keeping a log of all conversations.)::::

"What about a w-4 so i can file my taxes next year?"

she says: 'the w-4 will have to wait till i expand my business, you are only my 2nd employee!'

"Well, i at least need a company name"

she says: i have not named the company yet, i suppose you can just put "****Printing Co. (**** was her name)"

"How am i supposed to file my taxes without all this information?"

she says 'think think think now dear, this is something you should be able to figure out without my help.....'

i guess give me your opinion if you like and thanks in advance. i love UPS you're the best shipping EVAR!

some1else

she need you to do payroll for a company with two people in it? you and her? lol

id say if she will give you a 2 week pay advance go for it :)

eds

and of course she said i would be paid $1000 exactly one month after i start doing work. i am dreading talking to her today, i want to tell her off so bad but at the same time i want to prosecute. i am working on a way to get her IP address or some type of real information. i don't even know if its a she and if thats her name!

edit:
oh no she 'said' she does payrolls for large companies.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
and of course she said i would be paid $1000 exactly one month after i start doing work. i am dreading talking to her today, i want to tell her off so bad but at the same time i want to prosecute. i am working on a way to get her IP address or some type of real information. i don't even know if its a she and if thats her name!

edit:
oh no she 'said' she does payrolls for large companies.

initiate a file transfer and then you can grab her (or more likely HIS) IP address in DOS.

tieguy

Banned
report her to the local internet crime task force or the fbi. they should be able to track her. Printer should have some tracking information when it arrives that can help pin her down.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
report her to the local internet crime task force or the fbi. they should be able to track her. Printer should have some tracking information when it arrives that can help pin her down.
Also try the Attorney Generals office for you state.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The problem with these scammers is they know how we work and how to beat the system. They use our Letter Boxes for letters so they can't be tracked back. They probably drop off boxes to Customer Counters and drivers on the street using false shipper numbers and return addresses.

bluehdmc

When they start calling you "dear", think Nigeria.

Then there is the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

SmithBarney

We just caught a guy here shipping FedEx the same scam, 60 Letters in the drop box right in front of the station... Stolen CC# account opened that same day... closed the account and had local PD and FBI already notified...
It would have equated to about $900 in lost revenue.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
for some made up reason, and they ask you to wire the difference back to them after you cash it. After they have your money, your bank figures out the check is fake and you are responsible

Recently my son received in a mail a check for $3,994.00 from a company he says was located in Texas. I drove over to look at the check and yes, the check is looks real. This is what accompanied the letter.

"You have been chosen as a mystery shopper. Please fill out this survey after picking any one of these stores (Big names) and spending $50.00. Deposit this check and keep $250.00 for your services. Please send the balance via Western Union and advise transfer number. (Attached were names of people he could choose to send it to)".

So, I asked my son why would a company send an exorbitant amount of money only to ask you to send the balance back? You have to recognize a scam when you think you'll get something.

So I ask him how'd they get your address. He said he filled out an car insurance survey and I'm sure they "sold" his address.

upser_J

Recently my son received in a mail a check for $3,994.00 from a company he says was located in Texas. I drove over to look at the check and yes, the check is looks real. This is what accompanied the letter.

"You have been chosen as a mystery shopper. Please fill out this survey after picking any one of these stores (Big names) and spending $50.00. Deposit this check and keep $250.00 for your services. Please send the balance via Western Union and advise transfer number. (Attached were names of people he could choose to send it to)".

So, I asked my son why would a company send an exorbitant amount of money only to ask you to send the balance back? You have to recognize a scam when you think you'll get something.

So I ask him how'd they get your address. He said he filled out an car insurance survey and I'm sure they "sold" his address.

the saddest part of this is that,the only reason why people use this scam, is that people are dumb enough to actually send them back the money.

rod

Retired 22 years
the saddest part of this is that,the only reason why people use this scam, is that people are dumb enough to actually send them back the money.

These are the same dimbulbs that got all excited when Ed Mcmahon sent them a letter stating that they could be the winner of 10 million dollars in the Good House Keeping or Readers Digest sweepstakes

under the radar

A Trained Professional
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that all of the next day air supplies from one of my drop boxes were disappearing as fast as I could replace them. Then on a Monday there were over 100 letters in there with an out of town return address. I was intrigued by this but scanned them all and picked them up. The same thing happened again the following week and this past Monday there were another 100 or so letters. I started to smell a rat and had the clerk look up the shipper number and it turned out to be fraudulent. She opened one of the letters up and it was a check. The next day the supplies were gone again so I only replaced them with about about five of each. Today, the supplies were still there so they know that the jig is up. Unfortunately, they will find another box (not one of mine) to scam from. If you pick up boxes beware!

Overpaid Union Thug

Are there NDA Call Tag scams going on now? Lately I've had lots of them refused by customers for being scams. I still haven't stuck around long enough to let them explain how they know they are scams or how the scams work.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I'm curious,were they handwritten waybills or computer generated?

I've been getting them for a few weeks now. At first they were hand written ASDs. Last week they switched to internet labels.

They're fairly easy to identify.
  • Return address is usually out state. Never from the area where they are picked up.
  • Return addressee is a person, not a business name.
  • Sent to residences/people, not a business.
  • Envelope feels empty. The only thing inside is a check (fake).
  • Usually ship 20 or more at once in a UPS dropbox.
  • They use cancelled/fake/stolen account numbers.
Once you start holding them, they will switch to another drop off location. The person printing the checks and shipping them is probably innocent and believes they are sending out real payroll checks.

CYA and have someone with some authority make the call on whether or not to hold them.