need advice dealing with fulltimers

browntroll

i understand fulltimers have the most seniority but im sure they are not allowed to tell me what
to do. i had 2 incidents today.
1. i had a full timer tell me to that i needed to go tell a supervisor that there was a belt off, he insisted i walk sever hundred feet because his supervisor wasnt around. i told him "nope" i texted one of the sups and issue was fixed.

2. i got to my area early around the same time they have a few guys start up to "prepare stuff".
so a newer employee shows up early saying he didnt know the start time and conversation when like this.

new guy: they didnt tell me the start time and i thought it was gonna be like last week.

shop steward: if they didnt tell you the start time then you can start early and i will tell them you started early today because they didnt tell you the start time.

new guy: ok cool ill start up then.

shop steward:asks me "do you want to work? ill tell them you didnt know the start time either."

me: hell no, im ok ill just sit here.

shop steward: well you have to leave then, that way the wont believe he didnt know the start time. trust me im a steward.

me: fine i have to go take a :censored2: anyway.

so im wondering next time someone tells me what to do that isnt a supervisor what can i tell them? i felt like telling them to friend off but i dont want them to complain about harassment since i know these 2 are known for being managements pets. by the way i heard the new guy wasnt gonna get paid for working 20 minutes before start time.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Tell them I work for (insert supervisor's name)....not for you. (Insert supervisor's name) told me to start at ____am....I'm working as directed.

J

jibbs

[EDIT: Yeah, what bb58 said.]

The only full-timers that can direct the way in which you work are part of management.

Drivers you load for can indicate how they'd prefer their trucks set up, but without management telling you then it's a moot point. You load by the methods, and if you've got the time/feel like custom loading the way the driver said he would like it, feel free. I don't see you getting in trouble for loading in sequence and keeping bulk stops/stops with multiple pieces together.

If a co-worker is directing you how to work, you can kindly tell him to :censored2: himself. You could also be like "Yeah, dude, I'll get right on that" and just keep doing your thing in front of your trucks or unloading or whatever it is you do.

Now, the steward issue is a little trickier. I don't know how I would handle an obviously shady steward that's more than willing to manipulate the rules provided he can ensure he doesn't get caught. That's a :censored2:ty position to be in as a Teamster "under" that steward.

I might be in the dark and most stewards may act like this, I don't know.... I just know that I, personally, wouldn't trust that steward.

If a anyone other than management tells you to do something shake their hand and congratulate them on their promotion to manager. When they reply they're not say "Oh" and walk away.

Inthegame

If a anyone other than management tells you to do something shake their hand and congratulate them on their promotion to manager. When they reply they're not say "Oh" and walk away.

Browntroll, Don't listen to anything cachsux says, he's full time.

browntroll

Wait, you texted a supervisor at the other end of the building?
yup i only have a few sups numbers(3) and they dont work where i was at today but i know they have walkie talkies and can
communicate better than me walking who knows how many hundred feet this guy wanted me to.