Need advice-got fired!

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I think a discharge would be extreme but the cell phone can be a distraction that keeps you from accurately recording the delivery and does not look very professional. One of the advantages we have is our neat professional looking drivers.

Have you seen the drivers lately, baggy pants down to there ankle's, hats on sideways and they don't even know what shoe polish does. .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you get warning letters for voiding Pkg's in your center, not in my center, This is the first that I heard of someone being fired for it.

No and I have to admit I was stunned when I first read this thread. Data entry errors will occur and if this indeed was the case with the OP than his termination was not justified IMO. I think there may be more to this than he is telling us.

Stran

Holy Toledo
We had a case of a driver being accused of unprofessional conduct by one customer. Happened several times but only with this customer and included different drivers. The regular driver after getting talked to multiple times asked what he could do to prove he was professional and it was the customer that was a concern. The center management told the driver to call a supervisor when making the delivery so they could listen in on the delivery. So I guess its not always unprofessional to be talking on a cell phone and delivering.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assume that in the case that you descibed that the driver would not be talking on his phone but would instead have the phone hidden in his pocket and would in essence be recording the conversation without the consignee's permission.

I can just imagine the supervisor trying to follow up with the consignee based upon what he had heard during the delivery.

This would backfire on the driver if the consignee acted appropriately during the delivery.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This thread is going in two different directions.

Cell phones--it is not safe to use a cell phone while driving, contract language notwithstanding. In our area, using a cellphone while driving is not allowed, and as of Jan 1 in Oregon it will be illegal under state law.

Getting fired for making a data entry error---ridiculous. If the driver made the delivery on time (which can be verified via GPS or calling and asking the customer) and then mis-keyed the type of delivery which prompted a "late air" then we are not talking about dishonesty and there is no basis for termination or any discipline at all.

The company's decision to disable the "edit" feature on the DIAD was idiotic. It is comparable to clipping the eraser off of a pencil to eliminate spelling errors.

bumped

Cell phones may be unsafe while driving, but so is smoking and drinking liquids while driving. UPS doesn't want us drinking while we drive, but the cup holders haven't benn taken out, yet.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I don't know anything about delivering packages, but I do have some advice:

Don't run with scissors.

I hope this helps.

wornoutupser

You would think that everyone would be told you can no longer void a pkg after you hit stop complete, but at UPS nothing surprises me.

We also had drivers fired and suspend during peak, a easy way to get a day off, just be seen driving without two hands on the wheel, guarantee the next day off. There was two drivers suspend last week one was driving while smoking a cig and the other was using his cell phone while making a del.

UPS pulled that crap about two hands on the wheel down here in Florida.
The driver blew them out of the water on the protest letter- because he cant shift gears, put on a turn signal,turn on his wipers or headlights without removing a hand from the wheel. I was told that the center manager was purple at that hearing and the driver was reinstated on the spot.

upsman68

I think a discharge would be extreme but the cell phone can be a distraction that keeps you from accurately recording the delivery and does not look very professional. One of the advantages we have is our neat professional looking drivers.

How about are neat and professional package cars that now only get washed once a week because of cutbacks.

It is embarrassing to our company when you see wash me written on one of our package cars.

Jim Casey would be very upset.

Look at the section applicable laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving will be followed my all employees while driving Company vehicles. If its not against the law grieve it. Sometimes you have to check in your pants to see if theres any balls in there and grieve it.Thats why the grievance procedure is there. Men and women have fought hard for this sometimes you have to use it.

Many years ago I attended a 407 union mtg and a union rep pulled out a gun to let us say re-enforce his point of view on a subject. I can't remember what the topic was about anymore but, that convinced me that it would be the last mtg I would attend. Looks like the attitude hasn't changed.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I del a nda/saver pkg to residential apartments-customer signed for. from habit I push reciever it show late, so I voided stop and retyped address & shipper #, customer resigned. Since I retyped info it was red flagged and loss prevention say 2nd signature doesn't match 1st. so I was terminated

I attempted a resi around 730 pm last summer during a very bad heat wave. I sheeted it NI1 and not realizing it in my haste, after hitting stop complete, I hit the 2, comm. instead of 1, resi. Two days later my on car asks my about my "service failure"?? I asked what service failure as I knew I had none. He shows me no paperwork to support the incident, but claims I had a closed after 5pm at such and such address,(apartments) and that Friday I get a warning letter. This was a result of a district zero tolerance policy on closed after 5 pm commercial stops that should have been sheeted missed. Another ridiculous distribution of UPS "justice" that has no effect whatsoever on the bottom line, causes unnecessary extra BS work for management, and furthers the divide between common sense and the real world.

Dagoof

How about are neat and professional package cars that now only get washed once a week because of cutbacks.

It is embarrassing to our company when you see wash me written on one of our package cars.

Jim Casey would be very upset.

once a week? We barely get ours washed once every 3 months.
:surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You have nothing to complain about. I'm lucky if my truck is washed once per quarter. It doesn't bother me.

...and that is part of the problem. There used to be a UPS where the employees took pride in their jobs, their appearance and the appearance of the pkg cars. I miss that UPS.

I still think that there is more to this than the OP is telling us.