need advice

JULAKA

Why not just learn it for the very least that it keeps your sup. of your back? My 5th grader can identify all 50 states but we can't write the 8 keys to lifting an lowering?

Good grief![/quote]

Because we don't have to learn it and they can't do a damn thing about it.

screamin chicken

1) How were you selected for this harrassment.

2) What were the road conditions on this rolling stop. Were you approaching an interesection of two crossing roads or turning onto a street when you made your rolling stop?

3) Are you the only person in the center being told they have to learn the ketter questions?

4) Have you ever done any honest soul searching and ruled out the possibility that you may be the real problem?

1.) I have been here for 18 yrs. the last 4 yrs. my center manager, and both FT SUps. were fired and new ones that replaced them have there fav. I have been called out in front of my co workers at PCM's for only having 135 stops and working pat 9 PM as both of the FT laughed. I have also on the same day was asked to go into the office (yelled at) in front of my co-workers and once the FT Sup. got me there the first thing was said was to roll my sleeves down, while at the PCM there were alot of others there that had theres rolled up, once I told him that he told me not to tell him how to do his job. I have documented everything from the last 2 years my avg. stp is 140-160. Eveytime I call to let them know that 9.5 is not going to happen and someone has to get my air it's an agrument. I have had my wif, and mom hear this FT sup. yell at me from the phone across the room, he has also said he would ride with me and LOCK MY ROUTE AT 150 EVERYDAY. When EDD has a stop out of order and I ask for it to be fix the FT sup. will say what do you want me to do about it, I tell them fix it, then I am told to scroll through edd, with a neg. responce and that eat crap look. This same FT has told other drivers that he slams me with work and I get it done, so after slamming me and I get tired of it and stand up for myself he gets mad because I will not work my butt of and do the extra work, THAT IS HARRASTMENT. Thanks to the ones that do understand and I can recite the questions I may get some of them mixed up in there key phrase but if I do not score a 100 then can kiss my butt, because there are alot of people that did not score 100 and I should not have to either. I know more of it now just by going over it then the day I got asked only because I personally have not thought of the questions since the last audit so I was rusty, I do know most of it now.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Because we don't have to learn it and they can't do a damn thing about it.

You are a class above all us regular drivers. I should have told my center manager, JULAKA said this was bull and you can't do anything about it. Your philosophy will get other drivers in trouble or worse, FIRED.

Most if not all drivers don't want to be in management's bullseye. There's no way you can win, so just TRY to learn them and worry about saving the Teamsters in a different way.

tieguy

Banned
Some idiot off the street gets hired by UPS and comes up with the idea to force the employees to memorize a bunch of crap and that will help them to avoid accidents and injuries. I here that guy has now put out the 10 keys to having sex and the 14 keys to eating a hamburger. I better get to memorizing! (Even though I have been doing both successfully for a long time!)

I should probably leave the sex alone but I suppose that performing the act inappropriately could lead to a variety of issues including diseases, damage of yours or your partners genitals and possibly a dissatisfied partner. You may want to ask your partner if you are performing the job correctly. You may find out that you do require the additional education. :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
How many people who driver safely even know what the 10 point commentary is or the 5 seing habits? Tell us to be careful, to obey the speed limits, to do any number of things that will contribute to a safe day, but don't ask us to memorize and recite. That is ridiculous and ineffective...a complete waste of time.

your argument is totally illogical. Are you saying they maintain a six to 8 second following distance but don't know they should do so?

Are you saying they automatically count 1,2 3 when the car in front of them starts moving before they move but don't know they should do so.

Its real simple. Does knowing the ten point commentary and practicing it help you drive safely. If so then why beat your head against a wall and fight it?

UPSLP0001

Let me say this, I don't post often but I like to give advice when needed. If you are going to work, doing your job, working safe etc. then you are fine. There are rules and regulations that UPSers are meant to follow in the course of doing their job, follow them. There are things that you MUST know as part of your job, its simple, KNOW THEM.

Your management team isn't asking you to come in on your own time and learn the questions. Your management team wants you to come in on UPSs time to learn. If it's not enough time tell them you need more time and more help, I can assure you that they will be receptive to your wanting to learn.

Sometime things are worth fighting for when you have been wronged, it sounds like you are getting upset because your management team is asking you to be a leader among your peers (is that really a bad thing). With being a senior driver you should not only take on this reasonability but accept the leadership and guidance you can provide to the younger drivers, just by showing that knowing these questions and answers all important. Isn’t Safety Important?????

This is just my take on it and I don't know all the personal history involved but change has to start somewhere and it's hard to throw a pea through a wall.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't know what the problem is !!

Every driver needs to know the answers to all the Keter questions. They are even paying you to come in early and learn it on the clock. It is managements job to make sure all their employees know them. Do yourself a favor and learn them, then find a way to get yourself off their radar.

Chance you have in trying to beat UPS on this? 0 %

Please show me the contract article that specifies successful regurgitation of stupid acronyms and buzz words as a condition of employment.

There isnt one.

I didnt ask UPS to let me come in early and memorize this drivel on the clock. If they choose to compel me to do so I will report for work as instructed, but I am not a 4th grader and I am not a parakeet and I do not enjoy being treated like one. If they are not happy with my lack of effort towards helping them pass a stupid audit they are free to leave me alone and find someone else to bother.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have to agree with "Heff" 100% here. They're asking you to come in early to learn the answers. This means they are paying OT which is somewhere in the vicinity of $44/ hour. Its the easiest OT you will ever get for heavens sake!

We work for a company that made a business decision that our lives were not worth the additional $40 expense of a 3 point seat belt and that our health was not worth the additional expense of basic ergonomic features such as power steering and adjustable seats in the older package cars.

Why then should we as employees make any effort at all towards helping that very same company get a passing grade on a stupid audit so that they can pretend to care about our safety?

As far as I am concerned they should take that "$44 an hour" and use it to make meaningful improvements to the equipment and facilities we work in. Or, they can take that $44 and shove it up their collective asses. At this point I dont really care. But please... dont waste it on trying to turn me into a parakeet.

over9five

Staff member
<sigh>

First, let me say that IMHO all these safety commentaries are a bunch of horse....poop. Memorizing that will NOT make you a safer driver.

They have been trying to get me (us) to memorize it for a couple years. I've had EXTREME disinterest in doing that, and even told myself there's no way I even could memorize all that.

And then one day maybe a month ago I thought, "What if that's true?" Have I really gotten so old and stupid that I could no longer learn things? I decided to find out for myself.

I started with the 5 seeing habits. All Good Kids Like Milk. I think we all know what that stands for, right? Five habits, five days in a week.
Monday I did Aim High in Steering. During my day driving, I said the whole thing over and over. Nothing else, just Aim High in Steering.
Tuesday I did Get the Big Picture. Over and over all day, just Get the Big Picture, nothing else. At the end of the day, I said the whole Aim High and Get the Big Picture.
Did this all week, one habit per day, ON THE CLOCK. I didn't just say it to myself, I said it OUT LOUD. I found it to be easier if I imagined someone was asking me, "Whats is Habit 1, Over?" "What does it do for you?" "Key phrase?", and then "I" would answer.

You know what? I may be old, but I'm not stupid. I did it to prove to myself that I could do it. I now know the Five Seeing Habits, 8 keys, and 5 keys completely. Have not tried the 10 point yet.

We get physical exercise every day at our job. Exercise your brain for a week. Don't do it for UPS, do it for you. You can learn it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree with Heff and tie. The questions are not hard.
To you they are not hard. Not every body is wired the same. Some can learn at faster then others. Some can know them 100% verbally and on paper but can not demonstrate on the job. While others can demonstrate while on the job but not verbally or on paper.

No where does it say that this is a job requirement. However ups is willing to pay you to learn it. If it takes 3 days, 2 weeks a month etc. Take your time if they want to pay you to learn them.

I am not saying milk it, but if you need more time to learn them then others do, take the money!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know them, maybe not in order. I learned them just to keep the harrassment away. I have never had a vehicle accident. I havent had an injury in 10 yrs, I think I know them.
I also have learned that other than these pointless commentaries safety issues of larger proportion are totally ignored.
I am not impressed with UPS concern for safety. When push comes to shove, other than lifting, lowering, stepping, driving, there are many, many issues which they turn a blind eye to.
Been there, done it, seen it, have documentation.
MY view will be called bitter by many. Dont care. When it happens, you will know it and feel the same way.
Preach to me all day about how I do my job, condemn me for trying to do my best when they know I am, and its still never enough. AT least I try. But when it is turned around on them, they fail miserably. Sit with their thumbs up their behinds when it comes to them doing their job. Afraid to make a move, for fear of acting out of their jurisdiction.
Good place to work, you bet.
Do they really, really, care about your safety? No, only the things they can charge you with, such as not using your handrail or lifting wrong.
Work safe, it only makes sense.
And dont expect them to protect you, or support you at any time. As for the advice, learn them and use them. The best advice is look out for yourself, they wont.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not sure if you're refering to my post, but I did say "During my day driving...".

Yeah, I was talking to the thread author. He/she says that they are giving 5 minutes per day before start time to memorize the methods verbatim. In the past I have asked (not as a driver but inside) to learn them on the clock and management basically laughs at me.

they say "take them home, it's quick and easy"....

I say...no way Jose....and if it's that easy, pay me on the clock. That is one thing that I will NOT do - take work home with me - or work off of the clock -and they can gladly discipline me or fire or whatever they want if they don't like it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Please show me the contract article that specifies successful regurgitation of stupid acronyms and buzz words as a condition of employment.

There isnt one.

I'm still trying to find in the contract where the 3-point belt is mandatory.
I went through it 3 times and can't find it.
Don't worry, I'll keep looking. :anxious:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I didnt ask UPS to let me come in early and memorize this drivel on the clock. If they choose to compel me to do so I will report for work as instructed, but I am not a 4th grader and I am not a parakeet and I do not enjoy being treated like one. If they are not happy with my lack of effort towards helping them pass a stupid audit they are free to leave me alone and find someone else to bother.

You are a respected member of the board, so I'm not trying to flame you here. But it seems you are using your own personal hatred for management's safety agenda to make your point.

First off, we understand the $40 3-point belt controversy. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it was an oversight, maybe it was a way to save money. Either way it goes, UPS can not retrofit the belts because they would be liable for a lawsuit for EVERY SINGLE INCIDENT the belt was involved in. The government and the company feels the belts are safe for use. So be it.

So obviously, you are fed up with UPS for not giving enough thought to this safety area. Now UPS wants you to memorize different safety commentary lists. Honestly, all these driving safety lists should be taught in drivers ed, if not already. Lifting and lowering plus walking are more for the UPS driver's environment, but keeps our minds on the goal of working safely.

Now, you feel that UPS is OVERTHINKING this safety area, so you don't feel you should do it. Please give a list of your safety requirements to UPS Corporate in Atlanta, so all of us drivers will know what is right and wrong.
You have your right to vent, no problem here, but if you are not happy with the UPS safety agenda as it is now, then I don't think anyone will ever figure you out.

JULAKA

your argument is totally illogical. Are you saying they maintain a six to 8 second following distance but don't know they should do so?

Are you saying they automatically count 1,2 3 when the car in front of them starts moving before they move but don't know they should do so.

Its real simple. Does knowing the ten point commentary and practicing it help you drive safely. If so then why beat your head against a wall and fight it?

I'm saying that instead of trying to impose these neat, tidy little lists of things to keep you safe, why not ask the drivers who have gone 30 plus years what they do to accomplish such a feat. They didn't do it by couting 1, 2, 3 at an intersection. They didn't do it by maintaining 5-8 second following distance. How many drivers here honestly count, "OK 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand, OK, imaginary target, dartboard, look left, right, left, OK what now, DAMN, what is number 6 on the 10 point commentary, oh CRAP, uh, I better pull over and get my little laminated card so that I can continue safely on to my next stop." These 30 year drivers have thousands upon thousands of tips and suggestions to share, and it can never be memorized. It all boils down to being extra alert and attentive. I haven't had an accident in 17 years, but I think my manager would rather I did have an accident each year, as long as I could recite his little saftey list.

JULAKA

<sigh>

You know what? I may be old, but I'm not stupid. I did it to prove to myself that I could do it. I now know the Five Seeing Habits, 8 keys, and 5 keys completely. Have not tried the 10 point yet.

We get physical exercise every day at our job. Exercise your brain for a week. Don't do it for UPS, do it for you. You can learn it.

The sad thing about it is that in a few months, you will have forgotten it. You won't remember which seeing habit helps with smooth stops and turns and which key phrase goes with what and then you will have to memorize it all over again.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Honestly
There is a 2 way street with these lists and memorizations.

1) They keep you aware in all situations and using them will keep you safe and sound

and THE BIG ONE

2) UPS FINDS THAT YOU HURT YOURSELF OR CAUSING AN ACCIDENT BY NOT FOLLOWING ONE OF THE STEPS WILL MAKE IT YOUR FAULT.

UPS isn't stupid. Because they make you learn this, YOU become liable. The system is setup for you to fail, not UPS. Do it for yourself. Don't risk your job or safety because you want to prove a point.