need advice

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Tell us your training plan in your company to train all drivers how to drive safely. Keep in mind the training has to be uniform to ensure all drivers get the same information.

I'll again await your superior training plan.

I start by providing all my drivers with safe equipment. I start by dispatching all my drivers with realistic workloads. And I start by providing all of my employees with safe working facilites.

Once I have proved by my actions that I take the safety of my people seriously, I can then count on them to listen to me and take me seriously when I teach them safe methods because I have put my money where my mouth is on the subject of safety rather than insulting their intelligence, being a hypocrite, and talking out of my ass.

tieguy

Banned
I start by providing all my drivers with safe equipment. I start by dispatching all my drivers with realistic workloads. And I start by providing all of my employees with safe working facilites.

Once I have proved by my actions that I take the safety of my people seriously, I can then count on them to listen to me and take me seriously when I teach them safe methods because I have put my money where my mouth is on the subject of safety rather than insulting their intelligence, being a hypocrite, and talking out of my ass.

Its your battle to fight and your anger to handle my outspoken brother.:happy-very:

JULAKA

Another poor example as you desperately try to come up with a reason as to why you do not need to know that you should have a six to 8 second following distance when driving 30 or more miles an hour. You keep grasping for something to discount this training. I asked you before I'll ask again.

Tell us your training plan in your company to train all drivers how to drive safely. Keep in mind the training has to be uniform to ensure all drivers get the same information.

I'll again await your superior training plan.

DON'T HAVE ACCIDENTS OR YOU WILL BE TERMINATED.

That's pretty much it. I'm glad we don't have to memorize that hazmat video.:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

STUG, you mentioned how not knowing the exact date for your injury could delay or invalidate your comp claim. This is not necessarily true. My comp claim for my bilateral ulnar nerve damage in both elbows was approved based upon the repetitive nature of our job, not a specific date.

tieguy

Banned

Ok good lets take this one to extremes you have now given all your people Mercedes package cars and sent them all out with 4 hours of work. You have now told them all that you love them and care about them. If someone so much as asks for any equipment modification you immediately throw billions at it because survival of your business is not important as long as your people know you love them and care about them. At this point you still have not trained them.

So tell us how you will train them.
what you will teach them.
how you will verify that the actually learned it.
how you will continue to recertify them.

All without using any of the evil empire UPS's information or methods.

You guys are talking a lot of good Bullshat here but you're struggling with the actual training questions here.

tieguy

Banned
Ive been waiting 22 years for my Safety Committee to make one tangible accomplishment. I'm still waiting.

We had a serious issue with egress, overcrowding and a slippery walk surface in one of our MDU's. I brought it to the attention of the Safety Committee. They talked about it for about 9 months and nothing happened. I filed a greivance and threatened to call the Fire Dept and the problem got fixed in a week.

Safety Commitees at UPS were never intended to accomplish anything. Their only purpose is to comply with an OSHA mandate and to allow the company to abandon its obligation to provide a safe work enviornment by shifting all responsibility for safety back onto the employee.

In another thread, our friend STUG shares about how he learned this fact the hard way and chose to resign as the Safety Committee chairman rather than continuing to participate in the stupid and dishonest games.

probably quit when he could not get the mercedes package cars ordered.

point again learn something about those things you criticize.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you honestly believe fatigue is an issue then do you apply the same rules at home. Do you measure how much work you do around the house and stop all activity and lock yourself up in a padded room once you complete a specific amount of honey do's? No you do not you still have to function and you still better think about what you're doing or you will hurt yourself at home.

Tie do not compare lawn mowing, pulling weeds, washing windows, painting a bed room, etc. None of these tasks should take too long by themselves and i can even knock out the yard work in an hour once a week.

And to be honest with you, if i start feeling tired or run down i do stop! And i am still married! Sometimes i threaten to organize the kids and tell my wife we will vote in a union for representation!:happy2:

Since you bring up the workload you also work with people that burn the candle at both ends. If fatigue is a legitimate issue and to some degree it is then what do you do to encourage people to get the proper rest. If you as a steward constantly encourage people to get the proper amount of rest and sell them on the importance then you could be a valuable wellness champion on our safety committees.

I am a steward not doctor phil! I do not tell people how to live outside of work. I am here to make sure that they are being treated accordingly to the contract!

Safety committees help us encourage safe lifestyle habits on a peer level.
Safety committees are a joke! They sit around and discuss issues, thats all they do! Those issues never get resolved and this is why we are forced to call in osha!

We have a problem in the palatine building, all the trucks do not have a clear path to the diesel pumps, so they must back in to fuel. The safety committee has had this on their plate for 2 years. But we are only to make necessary backs, i cant wait until one of these pumps gets tagged by a truck backing up! This is what it will take to fix it!

As I previously said. All those people on all those safety committes out there just are not blessed enough with your superior intelligence. Just a bunch of ships floating in the dark all wishing they had your light.
They are not giving the power to resolve anything! Only to make it look like they are addressing it!

tieguy

Banned
Its a pity when an otherwise intelligent poster is no longer able to debate the facts and must instead resort to personal insults and sarcasm.

I dont consider myself to have superior intelligence, just a modicum of common sense.

How much intelligence does it take to equip a vehicle that has a projected 30-year lifespan with basic safety and ergonomic equipment?

How much intelligence does it take to build adequate facilities and staff them properly?

How much intelligence does it take to comprehend the fact that safety begins with suitable equipment, facilites and time allowances? And how much intelligence does it take to realise that you cannot make up for blatant shortcomings in these areas by throwing acronyms, buzzwords and doughnuts at them?

As I previously its not a personal insult its an honest opinion of how you act here based on your posts.

You asked for a modification did not get it and now rant and rave and insult many fine safety committee members who are dedicated and trying to make a difference. Every donut comment is a direct insult that you make against them but that does not seem to bother you. Only when someone directly questions your comments do we now have you pouting about being insulted.

You know so little about safety committees you have to reference STUGS comments as a rebuttal because you don't have anything else.

I'll say it again. Your posts drip with a certain arrogance as if you have all the answers and the safety committee members are all beneath you.

tieguy

Banned

I am a steward not doctor phil! I do not tell people how to live outside of work. I am here to make sure that they are being treated accordingly to the contract!

that would be known as a cop out my friend.

Another grenade lobber has been identified. Talk the good smack but don't do a thing to make a difference. When I then go out and at least try to correct unsafe behavior you will then give me nothing but excuses as to why the guy can't do his job.

You my friend are doing your part to get people hurt by lobbying excuses and refusing to get off your but and help fix anything.

soberups

Ok good lets take this one to extremes you have now given all your people Mercedes package cars and sent them all out with 4 hours of work. You have now told them all that you love them and care about them. If someone so much as asks for any equipment modification you immediately throw billions at it because survival of your business is not important as long as your people know you love them and care about them. At this point you still have not trained them.

So tell us how you will train them.
More sarcasm and exaggeration which fails to address the underlying lack of credibility of a company that professes "safe by choice" while dispatching its employees in vehicles that were intentionally designed to injure them.

Lets skip the silliness about 4 hrs days and Mercedes pkg cars and loving the employees, and stick with the real world.

When I taught my daughter how to drive, I used the 5 seeing habits. I also provided her with a vehicle that had a functional seat belt.

soberups

You asked for a modification did not get it and now rant and rave and insult many fine safety committee members who are dedicated and trying to make a difference. Every donut comment is a direct insult that you make against them but that does not seem to bother you.

I do not insult the members of the Safety Committee who have the best of intentions.

I criticize the system...imposed by UPS... that prevents them from ever accomplishing anything.

UPS believes that safety begins---and ends---with Keter audit compliance, and will not allow the Safety Committees to act in any capacity beyond this narrowly defined role.

So what we wind up with is well-intentioned people such as our friend STUG who join with the sincere desire to make a difference, only to discover that "making a difference" is the LAST thing that UPS will allow the Committees to do.

So they resign, leaving the Committees in the hands of the doughnut-pushers who are in it for the easy overtime and preferential treatment that is afforded to those who toe the line and dont make waves.

The result? 10 years of regurgitating the same acronyms and catch phrases while bona fide safety issues are repeatedly ignored.

soberups

You my friend are doing your part to get people hurt by lobbying excuses and refusing to get off your but and help fix anything.

Sounds like we are talking about the automotive manager who wont allow the old trucks to be upgraded to power steering and 3-point belts because of "liability" reasons. Protecting the employees from injury or death is less important than protecting the company from lawsuits or lost profits.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
More sarcasm and exaggeration which fails to address the underlying lack of credibility of a company that professes "safe by choice" while dispatching its employees in vehicles that were intentionally designed to injure them.

Lets skip the silliness about 4 hrs days and Mercedes pkg cars and loving the employees, and stick with the real world.

When I taught my daughter how to drive, I used the 5 seeing habits. I also provided her with a vehicle that had a functional seat belt.

I admit I get dramatic in my posts.

BUT

If you can prove this true, then grab your lawyer, your briefcase, and sue them for all the hapless victims of the faulty equipment. YOU CAN'T because it's your opinion. You see what you want to see because you ARE pissed at UPS.

Like I said earlier, the government OK'd the original equipment. IS it bare minimum? probably. Nowhere in the contract does it say they have to retrofit every truck with the 3-pt. If you want added security, you should have steering wheels with airbags. Like TIE said, UPS is not going to buy up Mercedes and Volvo safety trucks.

I do agree with your view on safety committees !

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG, you mentioned how not knowing the exact date for your injury could delay or invalidate your comp claim. This is not necessarily true. My comp claim for my bilateral ulnar nerve damage in both elbows was approved based upon the repetitive nature of our job, not a specific date.
Did you say that your injury happened at a certain date? I could not, as I complained about the issue several times to my supervisor, who said, try the chiropractor or get a massage. This went on for 2 years and now I have a numbness in my back. I relayed all of this info to WC and was denied. I just went to my chiropractor and got the original date I saw him. I'm going to tell WC that this is the date of my original injury.

Steve I don't understand your question. Unless you work a satallite route you work around others every day and have this opportunity every day you go to work.

First off tie, I joined the safety committee in January, after much thought, thinking I would make a difference. If you go to the Safety Compliance thread, you'll get the whole story.

I was never trained, though I did go to the initial 8 hour safety seminar. I listened in on safety conf calls, drilled drivers on the keys and DOK. When I made suggestions, they were rebuffed. MGMT has their agenda at our center, which is not a satellite, and will not budge. Accidents and injuries have gone unreported, and runners/gunners, of which I was one, remain without scrutiny. On the other hand, the drivers that are more careful, do the methods and run over allowed, are the ones being written up, as I have been, since changing from runner to method man.

Though the opposite should be happening, it's not. Therefore, if UPS is thinking so much about safety, why is mgmt still getting away with this?

705red

Browncafe Steward

that would be known as a cop out my friend.

Another grenade lobber has been identified. Talk the good smack but don't do a thing to make a difference. When I then go out and at least try to correct unsafe behavior you will then give me nothing but excuses as to why the guy can't do his job.

I am a representative of the contract no more no less. Ups does not pay me to preach bs!

When an employee gets brought in for working unsafely as in not wearing a seat belt i do address this with the employee.

What an employee does off the clock is no way my responsibility nor yours! You do not tell us what to do for the hours between our shifts.

You really should be explaining why our safety committee can not make changes!

I believe it is because ups never is proactive in any of its stances, only reactive when some thing happens. Why must we wait for the worst to happen before we address it?

tieguy

Banned

now I'm confused. I thought we were all screwed up with having you memorize training information and yet here you are using the same info.