need advice....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Nope. That's their problem. I've learned after 10 years, that if you really need a day, you don't ever ask to be put on the calendar, and under no circumstances do you ever request an 8-hour dispatch.

When you call in saying that you need help your OMS will ODS drivers in your area to see if anyone can help. If I were one of the drivers who said yes and picked up your slack only to find out that you were punched out and gone while I was still out there I would be pissed and would be reluctant to help you again.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
When you call in saying that you need help your OMS will ODS drivers in your area to see if anyone can help. If I were one of the drivers who said yes and picked up your slack only to find out that you were punched out and gone while I was still out there I would be pissed and would be reluctant to help you again.

Firstly, I never ask for help. Now I know you may find that unbelievable, but it's the truth. I give them my ETA based on the amount of work that they dispatched me with, if they are unhappy with the ETA, then the onus is on them to get me in earlier, but you'll never catch me requesting assistance. I work at the same speed every day, regardless of what route I'm doing and I have no reservations about working past dark, so load me up if you want to, cause I'm your man!

Two, because I never ask for help, 98% of the time I refuse to help anyone else. If I'm told that I must, it's one thing because it's on me to work as directed. But those cute little messages like "can you take 10 off of so and so" get a big fat "NO" if I have been dispatched with at least 8 hours of work.

Three, if I do have to go out of my way to help you, your a-double-s better be back in the building before me, because otherwise it's a waste of my time. If I have to cut into what should be my personal time to come help you, you better make it worth my effort and get done before I do.

My OP had nothing to do with having others help you. The point is UPS will screw you if given the opportunity. For example, if your route takes out exactly 120 stops in an 8 hour day and you request that 8 hour day, come in and see that you have 126 and you get that done in 8 hours, guess whose optimum stop count just increased by 6 stops? These people will go out of their way to get over on you. My OP was another way of saying "call out if you really need to be out of work early". I'm sorry if it went over your head.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem with the requesting an 8-hour day is what really is 8 hours? It's not what you think is a fair amount of work to complete in 8 hours, it's what they think is fair.

Salvation is always a phone call away. If you absolutely need to be out of work for something important in the late afternoon, the best bet is to dial those magical numbers and tell them you can't make it in.

Firstly, I never ask for help. Now I know you may find that unbelievable, but it's the truth. I give them my ETA based on the amount of work that they dispatched me with, if they are unhappy with the ETA, then the onus is on them to get me in earlier, but you'll never catch me requesting assistance. I work at the same speed every day, regardless of what route I'm doing and I have no reservations about working past dark, so load me up if you want to, cause I'm your man!

Two, because I never ask for help, 98% of the time I refuse to help anyone else. If I'm told that I must, it's one thing because it's on me to work as directed. But those cute little messages like "can you take 10 off of so and so" get a big fat "NO" if I have been dispatched with at least 8 hours of work.

Three, if I do have to go out of my way to help you, your a-double-s better be back in the building before me, because otherwise it's a waste of my time. If I have to cut into what should be my personal time to come help you, you better make it worth my effort and get done before I do.

These two posts seem to contradict themselves. In your second post you say you don't ask for help but in your first post you say that if you need to be somewhere simply dial those "magical numbers". I'm confused.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
These two posts seem to contradict themselves. In your second post you say you don't ask for help but in your first post you say that if you need to be somewhere simply dial those "magical numbers". I'm confused.

Right. I've read the horror stories on this board, so I guess where I'm at they somewhat have their act together because unless you are pulling a route with an air-run attatched to it or a 5:30 or later pickup, there's no reason anyone should have to work past 5:30.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I think he talking about taking himself out of service with a call off.

Congratulations, you're our grand prize winner!

I like Upstate, I think he's knowledgeable and brings some great points to the board, but outside of people like Socks (who I think is just acting and is a proud card-carrying member of the Teamsters :happy2:), he's the only one here that strikes me as a hard-core brown-bleeding company man, and IRL, I typically don't mix with people like that. Nothing personal at all. :peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think he talking about taking himself out of service with a call off.

OK, you're going to have to explain that one to me as I have never heard of a call off. Even with this "call off", someone has to either cover your pickups or finish your deliveries so someone is picking up your slack so that you can get done early.

Please explain this "call off". Dave.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
OK, you're going to have to explain that one to me as I have never heard of a call off. Even with this "call off", someone has to either cover your pickups or finish your deliveries so someone is picking up your slack so that you can get done early.

That's where you call the center an hour before your start time and let them know you won't be working that day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

My impression was that he was talking about calling in sick.