Need advice

UPS Lifer

I like this responce! A soup should be able to do it, 100%. If not, then the job is too hard to do. I've seen soups try and do sets on preload, with a huge fail at the end, almost 100% of the time. I would want to believe this could hold something of value, but here at UPS, there is no honor.

Yet, performance doesnt matter here, missloads also. Theres nothing in the contract that details these things as a punishable offence. The OP can file for harassment, or for production as well. Try both as well. Well, first you should threaten to file if it goes on. Just do the job at a safe pace and what is comfortable to you. Ask for a shop steward whenever you need one. Detail whats going on, infront of the soup if need be, their always trying to listen in. If they write you up for this/ that, then file back and it will be tossed out. You dont have to take that, no one does.

I want to preface my statement with another post I had on a thread titled "3 Day Ride". Here is the link --> http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/3-day-ride-my-experience-238736/index6.html#post821206

Locker Room Lawyers tell you a lot of different things. Some things might have worked for these lawyers based on extraneous factors such as intimidation, sheer size, supervisor experience or lack of, their own confidence, etc., etc!!

There are a lot of stewards, business agents and drivers who will tell you that you can not be fired for performance and technically I would not refute that. BUT, the company can fire you for failure to follow instructions. I said it was hard but it can be done... it HAS been done.

Simplified version of how you lose your job. - (very simple)
1. Supervisor points out what you are doing wrong (OJS)
2. Supv - shows you how to do it
3. Supv makes you demonstrate it (train, re-train)
4. You demonstrate you can do it
5. Supv documents that you can do it - and documents your level of performance
6. Supv holds you accountable for that performance level based on your demonstrated level of performance
7. You fall back
8. Supv talks with you - retrains you
9. Again - You demonstrate you can do it by following the supervisors instructions
10. You fall back - the supv is back on car and you are not following the instruction(s) he gave you
11. Discipline starts for failure to follow instructions - Everything is documented
12. You either comply with the instructions or you will eventually be fired and eventually it will stick.

The one real unknown is - Does the manager and division manager have the stamina and fortitude to continue the process to conclusion???

But PLEASE don't write a post saying you can not be fired for performance and the other locker room talk that can bite you in the arse is insubordination.
Happy New Year!

mitchemracing4

As I promised here is an update after a few days since my OP . I did talk with my Manager and My District Mngr. Although briefly with district . It was very positive and the outcome I feel is beneficial to all of us involved . I have been offered help during the last hour when I need it , if the help is available . My district Mngr. Told me I was doing an excellent job and to not get so stressed , that sometimes things happen that are beyond my control as well as my immediate sups . Time will tell if this statement will hold any water . I think most of this problem does indeed come from the fact that I do care , not only for myself but my part timer and my full timer , and the company as a whole . I have devoted my life to UPS and they have always treated me with respect . Except for the hurry up attitude , but that's UPS for you and we have all been there . Hopefully I can find someone that has the work ethic that I have to train in my area to help out should the need arise .

I also wanted to comment on my back condition , since I did talk a little about that . I have been told that I have scoliosis . Which has set in within the last year . Its good news and bad , depending on how you look at it I guess . I have no crazy disease , but im severely limited in what I can do as far as moving fast at times . But im loading at my required PPH or close , and im going through physical therapy to try and correct it . Hopefully I wont have to have any surgery .

Again thanks for your input and I just want you guys to know , just having someone respond took alot of stress off of me . Sometimes you just need to know that other people have been in the same situation as you . Hope all of you have a safe and productive 2012 and for you drivers , treat your preloaders with the respect they deserve . Sometimes its not as easy as it looks .

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
While this would make perfect sense, and be the correct thing to do, we cant have the preload eat that time. (sarcasm)
we are not allowed to.

Exactly why I don't put in S&L. It ticks off the preload supe, and I get paid the same regardless of how I code my time.

UPS Lifer

We aren't allowed to, either in this district. For some reason, those rules don't apply up in the Bubble o' Goodness.

Not being able to use the "sort & load" code goes back a long way. It really is related to manipulation of time cards rather than anything else. It is extremely hard to control an accurate accounting of time and covers or masks a preload problem also. It affects the SPORH in the center statistics by making that number "look better" than it may be. A supervisor or manager may be more prone to "throw" some time into sort and load for ANY excuse they can find. An example used to be that a driver was complaining of a poor load so the supervisor or manager would code out "sort & load" so the driver could go through the car and line it up stop for stop and not have it affect his production.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not being able to use the "sort & load" code goes back a long way. It really is related to manipulation of time cards rather than anything else. It is extremely hard to control an accurate accounting of time and covers or masks a preload problem also. It affects the SPORH in the center statistics by making that number "look better" than it may be. A supervisor or manager may be more prone to "throw" some time into sort and load for ANY excuse they can find. An example used to be that a driver was complaining of a poor load so the supervisor or manager would code out "sort & load" so the driver could go through the car and line it up stop for stop and not have it affect his production.
Thank you.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

In other words, falsifying records.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I used to unload my entire pkg. car, in a parking lot several times a month......and then reload it.......I always informed MGT., when this was necessary.......no problem, it's just a cost of doing "business"