Need DIAD III and DIAD IV Training Docs!

Magnus

Can anyone help me out here? We just got EDD and it’s turned my DIAD know-how upside down on both boards. It’s just not working “by doing” for me. I need a training manual for both boards which also covers the 'new' (for us at least) EDD screens, functions and options to be able to engrave it in my mind for this, the next and all future Peaks.

Both myself and my Driver are getting irritated over this and so you would REALLY be helping us out!

Thanks.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm going to say UPS doesn't allow such information to be posted on the internet, best bet is to get hold of a supervisor and ask to look at the training material. I'm not sure if that will really help in the short term though.

There's tons of drivers here that know their diad stuff so if you have specific questions I'm sure someone will know what to do.

Magnus

I'm going to say UPS doesn't allow such information to be posted on the internet, best bet is to get hold of a supervisor and ask to look at the training material. I'm not sure if that will really help in the short term though.

There's tons of drivers here that know their diad stuff so if you have specific questions I'm sure someone will know what to do.
I realize that, but I know some people here have access to the training docs... was hoping they could save me a trip to the center (email them or whatever to keep them out of public view of course), where they would probably just make an excuse about not wanting to print the damn thing out to save $0.50. I'm going to try to ask at some point when I can spare the time to get there, but I already know what they'll say "have your Driver show you". That's hard to do when we don't even have time for a bathroom break most days... let alone to conduct DIAD training on the job with twelve other things going on at once too.

Yeah I know, I learn visually... hard to learn without a sheet breaking it down that I can study at my leisure for as long as it takes to sink in. I have the DIAD III manual, HOWEVER it doesn't cover EDD at all because we didn't have it last year. I don't have DIAD IV documentation at all, but I can work that better than III (go figure)... except for EDD.

The less you know the better.
Not from where I'm stranding. My Driver has me use both boards on my own while he goes off to do other things simultaneously and I have to be able to navigate them both on my own to keep doing a good job without frustrating the both of us. I know HOW to do things without EDD, but as I said it just changed everything and now I can't do half of what I could before. PreRec isn't the same because it's not used anymore, the start screen is my biggest issue because it's not right there but in some other screen. Can't do a damn thing if I can't get the start screen to get me from point A to point B. It just gives me the "BEEEEP" when trying to do what I need to do right now. Every button.

I know how to put the address and street in manually, I know how to Big Arrow down to get to the scan screen and I know how to get a signature, confirm and stop complete (alpha-numeric shift doesn't trip me up on IV either) - that's all great, what's really holding me up is GETTING into EDD's list to be able to get to the OTHER screens I need that I just mentioned. It's almost like it's hidden, I just can't find it.

Your center implemented EDD during Peak?!
Just before Peak, probably four months ago. All I know is we didn't have it in '08 or '09 and they didn't feel the need to train us at-all with either DIAD. No manuals, no hands-on - nothing. Just like my first Peak, but I had two months before December to get it down and without time being so crunched like right now, so I picked it up quickly then. Not going to be the case this Peak it's moving too fast.

I just want to kick ass at my job and make my Driver and myself happy. That's all. DIAD III and IV with EDD documentation can help me regain my footing here.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it.

evilleace

To get to the EDD screen on DIAD III, when you punch in and Big arrow up to get back to the main screen the last soft key on the right is for EDD, it will just be a list of adresses. Just take the package you want to deliver scan it and the information should pop up, if it doesn't it will say package info not found the you will have to key enter. Then big arrow down it will tell you how many packages should be left and will show you the ones you have scanned. the just driver release or get a sig.

BrownArmy

I started with EDD, so some of your questions don't make sense...if you are used to using a DIAD and are used to entering everything in manually, then EDD should be a bit easier...

If there are training docs on DIAD III and IV, they're likely useless. The only way to learn the boards is on-road. I went through UPS boot-camp before becoming a driver: DIAD training consisted of a bunch of computer-based-training modules about the DIAD. We were supposed to have actual DIADS to train with, but I guess we ran out of time or that trainer-guy called in sick or something. This is the real UPS training method: sink or swim.

I could show you all you need to know about either DIAD in ten minutes if you were my helper...

In any case, just let us know specifically what you need to know and we can answer clearly. Maybe you'll end up training your driver.

The DIAD III's and IV's are mostly similar in the way they handle EDD, but the action is a little different (and the DIAD III is definitely slower...). The user interface in both boards isn't very user-friendly, but the decision-tree for both is actually quite limited.

Specific questions yield specific answers!

Remind your driver to download EDD in the DIAD III as late as possible (just like he/she should do with their DIAD IV), because EDD gets updated up until the last minute, not just during PEAK, but all the time now with the Add/Cut madness.

Good Luck!

Magnus

To get to the EDD screen on DIAD III, when you punch in and Big arrow up to get back to the main screen the last soft key on the right is for EDD, it will just be a list of adresses. Just take the package you want to deliver scan it and the information should pop up, if it doesn't it will say package info not found the you will have to key enter. Then big arrow down it will tell you how many packages should be left and will show you the ones you have scanned. the just driver release or get a sig.
I went over it a few times on each board and I think I have it down good enough to do what I need to now. Though honestly, I don't see the benefit of EDD on Helper boards... it just results in dozens of annoying "found in another location" notices and that just wastes time I could have been spending entering them the way I knew/know how too anyway because of: accepting... and accepting... and accepting and you get the picture. :knockedout:

But anyway, thank you very much!

Magnus

I started with EDD, so some of your questions don't make sense...if you are used to using a DIAD and are used to entering everything in manually, then EDD should be a bit easier...

If there are training docs on DIAD III and IV, they're likely useless. The only way to learn the boards is on-road. I went through UPS boot-camp before becoming a driver: DIAD training consisted of a bunch of computer-based-training modules about the DIAD. We were supposed to have actual DIADS to train with, but I guess we ran out of time or that trainer-guy called in sick or something. This is the real UPS training method: sink or swim.

I could show you all you need to know about either DIAD in ten minutes if you were my helper...

In any case, just let us know specifically what you need to know and we can answer clearly. Maybe you'll end up training your driver.

The DIAD III's and IV's are mostly similar in the way they handle EDD, but the action is a little different (and the DIAD III is definitely slower...). The user interface in both boards isn't very user-friendly, but the decision-tree for both is actually quite limited.

Specific questions yield specific answers!

Remind your driver to download EDD in the DIAD III as late as possible (just like he/she should do with their DIAD IV), because EDD gets updated up until the last minute, not just during PEAK, but all the time now with the Add/Cut madness.

Good Luck!
I hear you and I see what you are saying now that I've spent more time analyzing both board's EDD. However, it's really difficult to ask the right questions when I don't even know half of what to ask about. Honestly, I just can't remember what my biggest problems are - just goes by so fast and I have to ask my Driver what to do, he just does it and tries to show me but it's hard to see. My Driver is taking the time to show me, but he's done it so much that he goes pretty quick. He told me not to worry about trying to get it down SO good, all is forgiven, but still... I feel bad having to ask this and that again. I just want to make him happy and do a damn good job here.

If I think of anything I really, really need to know I'll go ahead and shout it out in here. I did just sort of learn how to enter in pickups, but it's clean gone out of my mind already. Ugh. I think I'm just trying to learn too much in too little time here. There are several different methods for the SAME keys and screens and it's just tripping me up, but that's MY fault not the DIAD's. :knockedout:

So far I know:

How to manually enter/scan packages (Non-EDD)
How to scan in packages (when in EDD).
PreRecord stops (EDD/Non EDD)
Obtain Signature/confirm signature.
Stop Complete - Business
Deliver - Stop Complete resi.
Scan info-notice in package scanning screen.

The rest needs some work, like entering in pickups and COD and then when a package can't be delivered. He lets me do some advanced stuff, but I think that's because he knows I want to be a Driver if I ever make it inside and so yeah... he's a good guy.