Need Drivers

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Been sitting back watching the same thing happen in this area. We have a 75% failure rate for new drivers and they've gone thru most of the inside people who've been willing to try. Can't imagine trying to qualify with the way the numbers are now. We have people doing 22+ stops per hour running more than an hour over allowed. How's a new guy got a chance to beat that route following the methods. Word gets around fast in the hub it's not worth the effort to try.
I'm not so sure this isn't their plan. Make numbers unattainable So it's a revolving door. Nice cheap labor that way.

I'll bet 90% of the buildings in the western conference has or will look for transfers between 2012 and 2015. Many multiple times since 2010.

TheFigurehead

My building has posted flyers everywhere begging for drivers. I know it is a tough job. I truly believe this is a reflection of our society. Everybody wants to complain, but they do not want to work for anything. Our part-timers seem to only want to work about 3 days a week. Just enough for gas, cell phone, and probably some weed.

I believe we are seeing first hand just how lazy the work force is here in the USA.

I am also sick of hearing our Union and others preach about a living wage. It is here at UPS. Put on your big boy pants and go get it.

Look... I'm actually a perfect candidate to become a PC driver. I'm in my 30's, in good shape, a current UPS employee, am very comfortable driving a manual transmission, have an exemplary driving record, and I'm not a complete maroon...

and sure, the money is good... perhaps even great?

But there is no way I would ever subject myself to that. I can assure you, I am not lazy. I am not adverse to working. I am not just looking to pay my phone bill and buy weed.

I have a 3 year old daughter, and a wife... both of which I like very much. No amount of money UPS would offer would make me miss raising my kid. I could get over the extra bull:censored2: that goes with being a driver at UPS. I could handle the work. I could do very well at it, I think... but I'm not giving my whole life over to them. I'm not willing to not see my daughter until she's old enough to stay up past 9p.

It's ridiculous. If UPS stopped profiteering, and started employing enough people to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, there would be part-timers lined up out the door for a shot at it. As it stands, most anyone who has worked there for any amount of time knows exactly what kind of cluster:censored2: UPS is these days.

As I see it, for the time being at least, working pt is a much better deal for me. I work a few hours a night, they insure my family, throw me a few bucks, and I save 1k+ a month in daycare.

TheFigurehead

The figure head only LIKES his wife and daughter! Shoot then you really are the perfect candidate.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Well, lots of people "love" their families, but don't like them all that much. I've raised my kid full time since the day she was born. I'm not giving that up so that the bunch of heartless, thankless, and greedy morons that make up the business end of this fine company can line their pockets and the pockets of their friends.

Perhaps (...and I know it will never happen) UPS should see this for what it is. Money aside, UPS has stripped away all of the things that made the job tolerable / desirable. If no one is taking them up on the job they're offering, they should take a second look at what they are offering.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Look... I'm actually a perfect candidate to become a PC driver. I'm in my 30's, in good shape, a current UPS employee, am very comfortable driving a manual transmission, have an exemplary driving record, and I'm not a complete maroon...

and sure, the money is good... perhaps even great?

But there is no way I would ever subject myself to that. I can assure you, I am not lazy. I am not adverse to working. I am not just looking to pay my phone bill and buy weed.

I have a 3 year old daughter, and a wife... both of which I like very much. No amount of money UPS would offer would make me miss raising my kid. I could get over the extra bull:censored2: that goes with being a driver at UPS. I could handle the work. I could do very well at it, I think... but I'm not giving my whole life over to them. I'm not willing to not see my daughter until she's old enough to stay up past 9p.

It's ridiculous. If UPS stopped profiteering, and started employing enough people to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time, there would be part-timers lined up out the door for a shot at it. As it stands, most anyone who has worked there for any amount of time knows exactly what kind of cluster:censored2: UPS is these days.

As I see it, for the time being at least, working pt is a much better deal for me. I work a few hours a night, they insure my family, throw me a few bucks, and I save 1k+ a month in daycare.
And this ladies and gentlemen is one of the main reasons we get paid very well. Imagine if we paid FedEx wages and demand the production and hours we do now, this place would be a ghost town. Our wages reflect what we give up, family time, our free time, our bodies.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Well, lots of people "love" their families, but don't like them all that much. I've raised my kid full time since the day she was born. I'm not giving that up so that the bunch of heartless, thankless, and greedy morons that make up the business end of this fine company can line their pockets and the pockets of their friends.

Perhaps (...and I know it will never happen) UPS should see this for what it is. Money aside, UPS has stripped away all of the things that made the job tolerable / desirable. If no one is taking them up on the job they're offering, they should take a second look at what they are offering.
They are offering a 6 figure career that you have to make a lifestyle change for. Only an individual can put a price on their time and try to make everything work out in their own life. Some see value in what UPS offers, some as yourself, value other things over that, to each his own.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They are offering a 6 figure career that you have to make a lifestyle change for. Only an individual can put a price on their time and try to make everything work out in their own life. Some see value in what UPS offers, some as yourself, value other things over that, to each his own.
Very few 6 figure jobs are you not asked to give up something. We have a generation of kids under 25 that I would say 90% of them could use a good ass kicking.

I get more vacation and make more money than anyone I know other than my wife. She went thru 7 years of school, lived hours away from me, put off having kids, and her decisions during surgery could directly lead to someone's death. She deserves it all but has sacrificed a lot along the way.

Sad state America is in right now. We cry that manufacturing jobs are leaving this country but yet can't find people who want to make 80k plus to deliver packages. We'd be hard pressed to find the workers to fill the factories.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I hated this job when I started. But I could see the future. Our center services at least 5 cities and a huge rural area. Although I started on a bulk city business route, I could see that someday in the future I'd be able to deliver nice rural routes and resi routes. I would never be a UPS driver in an urban center that services one large city. That would suck. I need to somewhat enjoy what I'm doing.
Me too id rather be out in the country chillin doing my thing than running bulk in real busy areas.

These newer drivers we have at our center can't find 2nd gear, let alone 4th or 5th. But they miraculously make it through their 30 days. I don't think management has the gumption to send them back to part time. They'll just deal with the headaches that come with them. Glad I'm closer to the end than the beginning. I'm tired of cleaning up after them.

What'dyabringmetoday???

One thing is for sure- no other job makes people give up what a UPS employee does. Nobody else misses soccer games, dance recitals, tucking kids in, and nobody else has to work every weekend. The place is awful.

oldupsman

We need over 40 feeder drivers in our hub.......I may have to fill one of them. We'll see.

Just my humble opinion Cementups but I think you should give it a shot. Looking back, I wish I would have
at least tried. I was 45 with 22 years in and my center manager actually suggested I give it a try. Not because he wanted to get rid of me,
because he really thought it was the right move for me at my age. And it was. But I turned it down. I'm a sun person
and worried about working nights. But I only would had to work nights for a short period of time with my seniority.
I lasted 10 more years in package but those 10 sure would been alot easier in feeders.

We need over 40 feeder drivers in our hub.......I may have to fill one of them. We'll see.

I think you'll only regret not going to feeder someday if you don't. I had an awesome PC route and didn't hesitate to make the jump at the first opportunity.
Some talk of working nights. I point out that when would you want to be at home. During the night when everyone's asleep? Or in the day when you can get chores acomished , eat dinner every night, etc?

I think you'll only regret not going to feeder someday if you don't. I had an awesome PC route and didn't hesitate to make the jump at the first opportunity.
Some talk of working nights. I point out that when would you want to be at home. During the night when everyone's asleep? Or in the day when you can get chores acomished , eat dinner every night, etc?
I do not want to go into feeders, myself!

rod

Retired 22 years
One thing is for sure- no other job makes people give up what a UPS employee does. Nobody else misses soccer games, dance recitals, tucking kids in, and nobody else has to work every weekend. The place is awful.

What the heck do you do at UPS? I worked there for 30 years and 27 days and NEVER ONCE worked a Saturday or a Sunday.