Need help/advise for being fired for so-called "dishonesty."

PHN4U

So Thursday morning this package car driver is let go for "dishonesty" ; for an alleged accident happening on Monday (all of this past week). Being blamed for knowingly backing into a basketball back-board and not reporting it...Here's how it goes...a delivery is attempted on a cul-de-sac...upon viewing the "big picture", there is no room to turn in the cul-de-sac due to snow, parked cars and a man shoveling. The house number is not clear on the house, so the package car is pulled forward to verify number on house, just past driveway...to avoid hitting the man shoveling and other vehicles, the package car is backed into the driveway, only after mirrors are checked, horn is honked, flashers on; well, all required safety measures. After determining the driveway is not long enough to park, the package car is then pulled forward to park on the street in front of the house; now facing the direction to get out...

Finding out on Thursday the customer witnessed to package car back into to back-board, the customer did not say one word to the driver...the driver did not noticed damaged to the package car upon return to the center that Monday evening...in-fact, the driver is not aware of this until his "firing" on Thursday...

Can someone please offer guidance to this driver, with a 3-year safe-driving record until now...only been driving 3 years, but been with the company for 13 years; 10 part-time...dishonesty is hardly the truth in this matter.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
After determining the driveway is not long enough to park

That I find somewhat disturbing. You back into the drive without determining that it will not accommodate your package car?

Secondly, are you writing this as a third person, or the driver that is fired? There are things you state in the first and third person, so it is a bit confusing.

As for the dishonesty, that might be harder to prove on the companies part.

Bottom line, there was an accident, and the UPS driver left without notifying anyone of it. And that can be a discharge offense.

d

Hangingon

Ask your shop steward to talk to the witness. Did he see you stop and get out and look at the backboard? Did he see anything that made him think you knew you had hit something? Tell the truth, and if they can't prove you knew it had happened they will probably be satisfied with a suspension and safety class for the next few weeks. Personally I hate where people put those backboards sometimes. Good luck.

PHN4U

Why should it matter who is writing this? Just trying to get some advise from other drivers who may have or have known of someone with a similar experience. Sure, you are right...should have known the depth of the driveway...but it also doesn't help to have different routes everyday; as well as different trucks.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Why should it matter who is writing this? Just trying to get some advise from other drivers who may have or have known of someone with a similar experience. Sure, you are right...should have known the depth of the driveway...but it also doesn't help to have different routes everyday; as well as different trucks.
i think you would get more information if you was striaght forward is it you or another driver

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I would have asked the man shoveling to spot me as he was a contributing factor to leaving myself an out. Just maybe one of the cars were his & he could have moved it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If there is only slight damage you will probably be able to make the case that you were not aware of it. If your center manager (or whoever) looks at the damage and decides there is no way that you could not have known you hit something, you've got a problem. Posting some pics would help us decide....Just kidding, don't do that.

How bad was the damage though?

browndevil

He didnt follow all the safety measures, he shouldve not back one and if he needed to he should of GOAL
GOAL you mean like shot a basket? Seriously, the economy is in the toilet there are too many drivers for business. It seems really easy to start firing drivers for anything and everything. From what I read its his word against customers. What ever happend to innocent until proven guilty? Why did this take 4 days for customer to report? I think someone saw the brown truck and saw $$$$$$$$$$$JMHO:happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Good, now to help you if we can.

As has been posted, what damage was done to the goal, and to your truck?

Was the accident seen by anyone besides the customer? Did the customer hear it or was she just looking out at the pretty day and happened to just see you do it.

There are things that you might not think are important that will help.

d

drewed

Shankman
GOAL you mean like shot a basket? Seriously, the economy is in the toilet there are too many drivers for business. It seems really easy to start firing drivers for anything and everything. From what I read its his word against customers. What ever happend to innocent until proven guilty? Why did this take 4 days for customer to report? I think someone saw the brown truck and saw $$$$$$$$$$:happy2:
Get Out And Look

Hangingon

Drewed, hindsight is 20/20. If he'd known he was going to have an accident he could have just called in sick and never worried about it at all. He is asking for help at this point.