Need Help with Fed Ex policy in 90's

JK111

Hi,

Need comments on the Fed Ex delivery in 1991. For an interesting case. Question, would the driver just deliver to any adult? Was there a stylus computer pad in 1991? Would the driver ask for ID?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

JK111

hypo hanna

Any adult at the designated address would do for a signature. Driver would not ask for an ID. In 91 most locations were still on paper delivery records.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Hi,

Need comments on the Fed Ex delivery in 1991. For an interesting case. Question, would the driver just deliver to any adult? Was there a stylus computer pad in 1991? Would the driver ask for ID?

JK111

Can't even imagine what this could be about, but my take in order is:

Yes

No

No

JK111

It's about a residency dispute. Believe it or not involves lots. Long story short is CA says that a package was delivered to client in CA. He was not in CA. Need someone to say (what is agreed above) that driver would deliver to anyone at house and that they did not check id's or anything. Anybody able to help? I would like to email you.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's about a residency dispute. Believe it or not involves lots. Long story short is CA says that a package was delivered to client in CA. He was not in CA. Need someone to say (what is agreed above) that driver would deliver to anyone at house and that they did not check id's or anything. Anybody able to help? I would like to email you.

I can't imagine FedEx would have a record of that, never mind a system in place to research it...

My guess is an attorney would need to subpoena or get a statement from someone in Memphis confirming the policy of the time , again good luck with that...

hypo hanna

And hopefully nobody here would be foolish enough to risk their anonymity. You would have to contact FedEx legal but I wouldn't expect much help from them either.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Most urban FedEx locations were using SuperTrackers during the 90's, along with paper Delivery Records. The tracker didn't have signature capability. The recipient signed the paper delivery log and the courier punched-in the first initial and last name along with scanning the package barcode. Nobody ever asks for ID unless the person signing is suspected of being a minor. My biggest concern is getting rid of the package. I have never cared who signed for it and I suspect most couriers are the exact same way.

We don't do personal deliveries, the only exception to that being methadone-type shipments where a certain group of specified people are the only ones allowed to sign.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I would imagine any paper delivery logs, especially from the early 90's have long since been destroyed.

JK111

Mr. Fed Ex, that is exactly what I need. The matter is from 1991 and involves a 20 year old residency determination. Just need a quick version of how a package was delivered at that time. I know, I know it is a pain for anyone to be involved. I just work for the person's team and have tried to find a Fed Ex ex-employee for comment. I can give you info about the matter (which involves a US Supreme Court decision btw). Thoughts?

Ricochet1a

Mr. Fed Ex, that is exactly what I need. The matter is from 1991 and involves a 20 year old residency determination. Just need a quick version of how a package was delivered at that time. I know, I know it is a pain for anyone to be involved. I just work for the person's team and have tried to find a Fed Ex ex-employee for comment. I can give you info about the matter (which involves a US Supreme Court decision btw). Thoughts?

​What was the decision?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'm not breaking my anonymity to give it to you, but I summarized a typical delivery for the early 90's. Even if someone specifies "deliver only to Joe Blow" or whomever, everyone ignores that and delivers to the first person that will sign for the package. Courier scans package with SuperTracker, obtains signature, scans line barcode and enters "J. Blow" in the tracker. It's been awhile, so the order might be off.

Couriers were often told by customers to "sign for them" if they weren't home, and some dumb ones often did so. A package could be released if there was a Signature Release on-file or if the release block was signed on the AWB.

Last edited:

Ricochet1a

What most people outside the 'package delivery business' don't realize, is that package carriers DON'T deliver to INDIVIDUALS, they deliver to ADDRESSES. Any responsible individual (as determined by the carriers agent) at the address may 'sign for' a package - and that is it, the carrier has completed the terms of the carriage contract.

Even in the instance where an "Adult Signature" option is offered, ANY adult that meets the criteria of the carrier can sign for the package - AS LONG AS they are at the delivery address specified on the package.

There is no such thing as 'person-to-person' delivery service, where the carrier can ONLY release the package to the individual specified on the package. Carriers would go out of business if that was available, since trying to find that specific individual would be prohibitive in terms of time commitment.

I would have to recommend that whatever 'firm' is trying to litigate an issue with a package delivery, that they obtain a copy of the 'terms of carriage' that were in force at the time the package was tendered for shipment. That would outline the liability of the carrier in the event of mis-delivery or loss of the package.

I highly suspect this inquiry has something to do with another issue altogether. If the supposed item were of extraordinary value, a claim would've been put in back when the shipment went 'missing' and would've progressed to civil litigation if the shipper thought they had some further option for relief. If the item were of nominal value, who in the hell in their right mind would be retaining an attorney 20+ years after the fact?

There is something that is motivating this 'inquiry' which hasn't been disclosed.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
^^^ Meh,
I believe the OP, you can speculate all you want.

To the OP.
As far as I'm concerned, not matter what "level" of signature is required, as long as you answer the door, you can sign. (of course, I'm not gonna let a 10 yr. old sign for an "over 21" pkg. but, I don't care who you are, never ask for I.D. and, if your last name is convoluted, I just type in whatever I think I heard)

Hi,

JK111
You got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Where do you people come up with these questions?

vantexan

What most people outside the 'package delivery business' don't realize, is that package carriers DON'T deliver to INDIVIDUALS, they deliver to ADDRESSES.

True, almost everyone who stops me on the street asks if I have a pkg for a specific person, not an address.

JK111

Guys I appreciate all the info...I realize that you are saying the obvious. Really need a simple declarant. I certainly can not fault somebody for NOT wanting to break anonymity but we can really use a simple signed paragraph or two. Believe it or not the residency case involves 8 figures. Happy to give info to whomever can or would like to discuss. Embarrassed even having to go to this board for help but frankly this is the best place to find retired Fed Exer's who could do a simple signed paragraph. It is important.

If anyone can help it will be treated confidentially of course.

MAKAVELI

Guys I appreciate all the info...I realize that you are saying the obvious. Really need a simple declarant. I certainly can not fault somebody for NOT wanting to break anonymity but we can really use a simple signed paragraph or two. Believe it or not the residency case involves 8 figures. Happy to give info to whomever can or would like to discuss. Embarrassed even having to go to this board for help but frankly this is the best place to find retired Fed Exer's who could do a simple signed paragraph. It is important.

If anyone can help it will be treated confidentially of course.

I don't think any " courier" is going to be able to help you.

STFXG

None of this makes sense. FedEx could answer your questions. Why do you need an ex employee? I call bull**** on this guy.