Need Help with Fed Ex policy in 90's

hypo hanna

He could have already and been stonewalled by legal. FedEx isn't likely to help anyone out unless there is no risk and a solid payoff to be had.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He could have already and been stonewalled by legal. FedEx isn't likely to help anyone out unless there is no risk and a solid payoff to be had.

I would suggest putting an ad on Craigslist requesting a former employee to make the required statement regarding delivery methods and practice circa 1991. I strongly advise current employees to not provide a statement as FedEx can and will use it against you, especially if this case has any liability for them.

Ricochet1a

Guys I appreciate all the info...I realize that you are saying the obvious. Really need a simple declarant. I certainly can not fault somebody for NOT wanting to break anonymity but we can really use a simple signed paragraph or two. Believe it or not the residency case involves 8 figures. Happy to give info to whomever can or would like to discuss. Embarrassed even having to go to this board for help but frankly this is the best place to find retired Fed Exer's who could do a simple signed paragraph. It is important.

If anyone can help it will be treated confidentially of course.

Reference my previous post in regards to 'something that is motivating this inquiry that hasn't been disclosed'.

And who 'said', "Meh"????

Unless you offer up some serious cash, NO ONE here is going to sign an affidavit and risk their job.

Something that involves litigation coming up to at least $10,000,000 (if it had already been filed), would've shown up in Express' financials with regards to potential future liability. I don't think anything of that nature has shown up - so either the suit hasn't been filed yet, or the firm trying to dig up info is on a wild goose chase.

JK111

Mr. Fed Ex, your idea on Craigs list is good. Thank you. Again, it's not something that puts anyone in any jeopardy, it's simply a two paragraph declaration saying in '1991 I recall the actual delivery routine to be....' that's it. I do agree that if someone is active Fed Ex no reason to get involved but outside of that it is NOT a big deal at all. We just need to find a former Fed Exer from that time period which is not easy to do. The case is NOT about Fed Ex and has NOTHING TO DO WITH FED EX. This is just a comment on showing that a package going to an address does not mean the addressee was in CA to receive the package. THAT'S ALL. I just need someone to tell how it goes. The case is 17 years old and fascinating. Happy to disclose case caption to anyone who is even interested. They will understand that it is about a landmark residency case and NOT ANYTHING to do with Fed Ex. Thanks in advance if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Mr. Fed Ex or Richochet1a?

JK111

And just to make crystal clear...see my last post it has NOTHING to do with Fed Ex. This is about a millionaire who moved out of California. California in trying to prove that he was still a CA resident pointed to a Fed Ex package received at the client's old house with his name as addressee. Just looking to show...as Mr. Fed Ex and Richochet1a (and thank you for the guidance) have said, the recipient does not need to sign and it could have been signed for by anyone at address and Fed Ex does not check ID's...That's it.

Really can use the help.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Mr. Fed Ex, your idea on Craigs list is good. Thank you. Again, it's not something that puts anyone in any jeopardy, it's simply a two paragraph declaration saying in '1991 I recall the actual delivery routine to be....' that's it. I do agree that if someone is active Fed Ex no reason to get involved but outside of that it is NOT a big deal at all. We just need to find a former Fed Exer from that time period which is not easy to do. The case is NOT about Fed Ex and has NOTHING TO DO WITH FED EX. This is just a comment on showing that a package going to an address does not mean the addressee was in CA to receive the package. THAT'S ALL. I just need someone to tell how it goes. The case is 17 years old and fascinating. Happy to disclose case caption to anyone who is even interested. They will understand that it is about a landmark residency case and NOT ANYTHING to do with Fed Ex. Thanks in advance if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Mr. Fed Ex or Richochet1a?

And what is your relation to the case, no offense, but you can't be the attorney right?

Are you just a friend or family member trying to explore every option?

Be as vague as you need

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
And who 'said', "Meh"????

I said it. Put your tin foil hat back on.
Not everyone in the world is looking to do you harm.

And just to make crystal clear...see my last post it has NOTHING to do with Fed Ex. This is about a millionaire who moved out of California. California in trying to prove that he was still a CA resident pointed to a Fed Ex package received at the client's old house with his name as addressee. Just looking to show...as Mr. Fed Ex and Richochet1a (and thank you for the guidance) have said, the recipient does not need to sign and it could have been signed for by anyone at address and Fed Ex does not check ID's...That's it.

Really can use the help.

That seems pretty cut and dry.
Just because a pkg. is addressed to Mr. T at xyz St. in CA. and got signed for by Michael Jackson doesn't mean that Mr. T lived there at the time.

Like I said about us not checking I.D.'s, we don't care who you are as long as you open the door at that address. But, I've only been working at X for 6 yrs.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It was the same then as now. Whether you signed your name with an X, signed in Chinese, Arabic or English, that was all we needed. Good luck with your search.

Ricochet1a

...I highly suspect this inquiry has something to do with another issue altogether. If the supposed item were of extraordinary value, a claim would've been put in back when the shipment went 'missing' and would've progressed to civil litigation if the shipper thought they had some further option for relief. If the item were of nominal value, who in the hell in their right mind would be retaining an attorney 20+ years after the fact?

There is something that is motivating this 'inquiry' which hasn't been disclosed.

Really can use the help.

Now it does make sense. See... there was indeed something else motivating this inquiry OTHER than a supposed package (tax liability is the reason...).

Without going into any real detail about myself, I will state that I lived in California in the past, and the tax authorities in CA will go to ANY LENGTH to attempt to levy taxes on both former residents AND individuals who had a 'residence' in CA but who were legal residents of another state. So the 'reason' given for the inquiry now makes PERFECT sense.

So....

I'd recommend the OP ask any Courier that was working for Express in '91 (and has some method of proving employment at that time), to get them to set up an exchange of Private Mails to facilitate obtaining a sworn affidavit for this firm's attempt to prove to the tax authorities of CA that the 'fact' that a package was sent in the client's name to the client's old address, in NO WAY denotes that the client was an actual resident of CA at the time - and the fact that someone may have signed for this package (in error), in no way proves that the client maintained residency at the time the package was delivered.

I'd recommend that the OP provide through Private Mail, the name of the law firm, address and land line telephone for any Courier interested in providing an affidavit to prove this client's assertion. This would enable the Courier to check (Google) that the firm is indeed legit (to ensure that FedEx PR isn't trying a fast one) - then place a telephone call to the land line (NOT cell phone) to be connected to who (I'm presuming) is a paralegal gathering facts to prove the client's assertion. I would have to assume that the paralegal would then set up an 'appointment' with either an attorney or possibly even a notary public near where the responding Courier resides, to take the affidavit, notarize it and forward it to the firm representing the 'client'.

The firm representing this client should be willing to pay for any expenses incurred by the individual providing this affidavit, including time spent in correspondence, traveling to provide the affidavit, writing the affidavit an any other needs requested by the firm - to be determined by a mutually agreeable rate.

I'll leave it at that.

JK111

Richochet1a. You are absolutely correct. Happy to give case info to anyone privately and they will understand. We do have a staff available. May I email you a simple case caption (privately) and you can give me your opinion on a potential declarant?

thedownhillEXPRESS

My question is who has this "evidence" of a FedEx package being signed for all the way back in 1991.
Unless I'm wrong we can't provide information that far back.
So where is this proof?

JK111

State found doc for doc being delivered at the CA address from 1991. Obviously an old record but that is what they have. We acknowledge a package WAS delivered but that does not mean client was at his former CA residence. That what we are looking to show through policy. Just important to have someone in the know do a simple declaration about what everyone knows is the policy. 'Don't check id's,' and 'will deliver to anyone who looks over 18.' Really as simple as that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
State found doc for doc being delivered at the CA address from 1991. Obviously an old record but that is what they have. We acknowledge a package WAS delivered but that does not mean client was at his former CA residence. That what we are looking to show through policy. Just important to have someone in the know do a simple declaration about what everyone knows is the policy. 'Don't check id's,' and 'will deliver to anyone who looks over 18.' Really as simple as that.

Nothing's simple at FedEx. Even though what you're asking is a simple request, it is a potential landmine for a current employee. Like I said, find a former employee (there are lots of them, especially now) who can attest via declaration to what you're needing.

FedEx will fire you for talking to anyone or making a statement without their permission, especially pertaining to legal issues. It's as simple as that.

JK111

That is my worry Mr. Fed Ex. Not easy finding ex-employees from that time frame. Hoping this forum would be a good place. Any thoughts?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That is my worry Mr. Fed Ex. Not easy finding ex-employees from that time frame. Hoping this forum would be a good place. Any thoughts?

Keep looking. I suggested CL, but there might be a few lurkers on here or someone that now works for UPS that is ex-FedEx. You might try posting on the UPS side of the forum looking for ex-FedEx Brownies.

JK111

Thanks for all your help Mr. Fed Ex. Actually I did have luck with Fed Ex Legal. They had a copy of a twenty year old service manual and also put in writing a lot of what we were looking for. So thank you. Again, we are only looking for people to say the truth. Client wants a couple of more letters. The one thing legal did not know about was 'did fed ex delivery people ask for id's and or verify signatures to id's.' Because it was 'silent' in the manual. Can you help? Pretty obvious to anybody that Fed Ex does not ask for id's or verify signatures. Let me know anyone.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for all your help Mr. Fed Ex. Actually I did have luck with Fed Ex Legal. They had a copy of a twenty year old service manual and also put in writing a lot of what we were looking for. So thank you. Again, we are only looking for people to say the truth. Client wants a couple of more letters. The one thing legal did not know about was 'did fed ex delivery people ask for id's and or verify signatures to id's.' Because it was 'silent' in the manual. Can you help? Pretty obvious to anybody that Fed Ex does not ask for id's or verify signatures. Let me know anyone.

Nobody asks for ID's unless they suspect someone is not of legal age to sign for a package, nor would they typically verify signatures to ID's. I might possibly verify an ID, but only if the age didn't match the person, and it would have to be very obvious. Again, the real priority is to get rid of the package so you never have to deal with it again. Before Residential Release, customers could also sign a "Release Block" on the airbill that allowed you to leave a pkg. without a signature. This would be noted on the Delivery Record as a DEX02, and the peel-off section with the signature would be placed on the appropriate line of the log. As I've said before, a lot of couriers also used to forge the signature of regular customers because they were requested to do so by the customer. The customer could also have a signed release on-file with FedEx, and the courier could refer to the list to see if the recipient had such a release. Release notes left on doors were also OK.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I was a courier during that time period. I would have let a cadaver sign for a package just to get rid of the damn thing and be on my way. I never once ID'd anyone. I don't recall ever being instructed to. Literally anyone who could scrawl their name was good enough for me. I used to always think of packages as though they were live grenades - something to get out of my possession just as expediently as possible (without actually lobbing them over a fence).

vantexan

If someone stops us on the street and asks for a pkg we are supposed to verify their identity. But when we go to the door of a residence and someone answers we don't care if they are the recipient or not as long as they are old enough. Awhile back I had an Adult Sig Req pkg that was signed for by a woman who walked up to me confidently at a residence in the country, smiling pleasantly and thanking me. Turned out to be some serious drugs and the recipient was the only person who lived there and he wasn't home. Had to answer a bunch of questions about that one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If someone stops us on the street and asks for a pkg we are supposed to verify their identity. But when we go to the door of a residence and someone answers we don't care if they are the recipient or not as long as they are old enough. Awhile back I had an Adult Sig Req pkg that was signed for by a woman who walked up to me confidently at a residence in the country, smiling pleasantly and thanking me. Turned out to be some serious drugs and the recipient was the only person who lived there and he wasn't home. Had to answer a bunch of questions about that one.[/QUOTE

How is that lady signing for the package your problem? Sounds like she was an adult...and signed. Requirement met. I guess you should have administered an oath, asked for a blood and stool sample, and her passport.