Need help with P/T Package Handler pay rates?

705red

Browncafe Steward
With all due respect, Cino, your post was spoken like a dyed in the wool Teamster. I don't need the union to represent me with management, unless its a termination. I fight my own d*mn battles! If I pick 'em, I'm d*mn sure gonna fight 'em! I don't dispute the health benefits thing, though. I've been non-union and I know the benefits would cost a bundle, if they were even offered. -Rocky
Rocky the union is there to insure that no side agreements are made. To many people attempt to better themselves at the costs of others, which is unacceptable. If you only use the union for a termination and never when your being talked to thats not good either. The company will document every conversation you have had with them and without a steward there to argue against it, it will go into your file and eventually with enough documentation you just might get that termination hearinf with the union. You pay the dues let the steward be there to see if its on the up and up and making sure everyone is being treated equal!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky the union is there to insure that no side agreements are made. To many people attempt to better themselves at the costs of others, which is unacceptable. If you only use the union for a termination and never when your being talked to thats not good either. The company will document every conversation you have had with them and without a steward there to argue against it, it will go into your file and eventually with enough documentation you just might get that termination hearinf with the union. You pay the dues let the steward be there to see if its on the up and up and making sure everyone is being treated equal!

See, Red, once again we're back to a conversation we had months ago. I don't get in management's way, I don't file grievances and I don't appear on radars. If I do my job, show up on time and work hard, chances are I won't have a problem with management. If I'm talked to, its because I screwed up. As such, the documentation goes into my file. I'm not going to fight something that I was at fault for. I've never been a discipline, or an attitude problem, much more an attendance problem, which is what many people need the union for. -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
See, Red, once again we're back to a conversation we had months ago. I don't get in management's way, I don't file grievances and I don't appear on radars. If I do my job, show up on time and work hard, chances are I won't have a problem with management. If I'm talked to, its because I screwed up. As such, the documentation goes into my file. I'm not going to fight something that I was at fault for. I've never been a discipline, or an attitude problem, much more an attendance problem, which is what many people need the union for. -Rocky
Rocky its the law ( weingarten act ) if any interview can lead to your discipline you must have a steward present. Look we all make mistakes here and there, but what they can discipline you for is in question. Let me ask you what have you been disciplined for in the past?

Ups holds everyone to unrealistic goals, preloaders must load 1600 pcs in 3.5 hours=bs, your not allowed to have missorts at all=you should do your best but understand it will happen and you shouldnt be disciplined for it! Theres things the company will let certain employees get away with while holding the feet of others to the fire for it and thats unequal treatment! Not looking to get in heated argument with you, but understand its our jobs to UPHOLD and honor the contract. Be glad you have a go getter union steward for we are the few!

W

westsideworma

Ups holds everyone to unrealistic goals, preloaders must load 1600 pcs in 3.5 hours=bs, your not allowed to have missorts at all=you should do your best but understand it will happen and you shouldnt be disciplined for it! Theres things the company will let certain employees get away with while holding the feet of others to the fire for it and thats unequal treatment! Not looking to get in heated argument with you, but understand its our jobs to UPHOLD and honor the contract. Be glad you have a go getter union steward for we are the few!

I agree red. Its funny to me that while I'm doing the same job, the expectations of how much we're supposed to do keeps going up. When I started they wanted at least 170 PPH (I know there is no set standard in the contract, just saying what they told me). Then when PAS first started they wanted 180 PPH and lately I've learned they're looking for 210PPH and aspen has told me its even up to 228 at her building. Its all amusing to me, they want it faster and faster and are confused as to why we are making more mistakes (ie: misloads). Especially since some of (actually a great deal of) the misloads are a result of their ingenious creation (PAS) itself.

I have yet to be taken aside for anything other than when they go up and down the lines whining about misloads (basically a mini pep talk or whatever). Its funny though, when you get a balance of the right volume and no misloads, they change it all up on you (meaning give you more work). Before it was unacceptable to change a persons trucks, now it happens all the time. They say it doesn't matter just read the labels, I think thats a crock of BS. Just because they are numbered the same doesn't mean they're ALL the same. One truck of mine the 8000 section (all 1 stop) takes up half the truck. A newbie would not know that and PAS surely wouldn't tell them and it also wouldn't tell them on Tuesdays and Thursdays the FL1 and 3238 stops blow up in addition to the 8000. Another truck the 2000 section takes up just about the whole FL1 and FL2 sections (because for some reason they won't PAL it to a bulk position....and there are two open). You know what goes on the truck eventually (I learned using the alpha charts and still try to memorize things even though we're on PAS). THAT was how I got my misloads down, not their stupid gimmicks that they've been trying. One of my drivers was livid when he found out I wasn't his loader and he had a new hire instead. When I asked why they do this I got "to keep you on your toes, make sure you're reading the labels" and I responded I hadn't had a misload in 3 weeks and was wrapping maybe you should learn to leave well enough alone...I got no response.

Actually Tie or any other management poster on the board: why do our expectations for the same job keep increasing? the job doesn't get any easier (PAS actually creates more work for us verifying labels then peeling them for driver view, checking multiple PALs etc), we aren't engines you can add a turbocharger to, I'm just really curious how and why this happens. I personally don't load any faster than I used to and I'm not going to run my butt off and increase the chance of getting hurt just so someone can make their numbers, my work was fine before PAS and now its not? gimme a friggin break.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky its the law ( weingarten act ) if any interview can lead to your discipline you must have a steward present. Look we all make mistakes here and there, but what they can discipline you for is in question. Let me ask you what have you been disciplined for in the past?

At UPS? Written up once for missorting an NDA bound the West Coast at my Illinois hub. I sent it to a hub secondary when it was supposed to go to the air dock. Yes, yes, I KNOW...not paying enough attention. I signed the write-up with out protest or asking for a steward. I'd made a mistake and was taking responsibility for that mistake. If you're talking about in my working career, I was written up and later suspended for a cash drawer problem in retail. Before you even think about accusing me of being a thief or joking about it, there were mitigating circumstances. That's a long story outside this discussion. -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
At UPS? Written up once for missorting an NDA bound the West Coast at my Illinois hub. I sent it to a hub secondary when it was supposed to go to the air dock. Yes, yes, I KNOW...not paying enough attention. I signed the write-up with out protest or asking for a steward. I'd made a mistake and was taking responsibility for that mistake. If you're talking about in my working career, I was written up and later suspended for a cash drawer problem in retail. Before you even think about accusing me of being a thief or joking about it, there were mitigating circumstances. That's a long story outside this discussion. -Rocky
Rocky let me ask you how many mistakes in your opinion should cost you your job? So you had 1 missort, out of how many packages in your career? Its good to see you stand up and admit you made a mistake (we all do), but a write up for 1 missort, i like to use the term human error, its happens millions of times a day around the country. No one is perfect and ups NEEDS to account for some human errors on a daily basis.

I would never accuse you of stealing rock!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky let me ask you how many mistakes in your opinion should cost you your job? So you had 1 missort, out of how many packages in your career? Its good to see you stand up and admit you made a mistake (we all do), but a write up for 1 missort, i like to use the term human error, its happens millions of times a day around the country. No one is perfect and ups NEEDS to account for some human errors on a daily basis.

I would never accuse you of stealing rock!

I don't disagree, Red. I hadn't been up there long, either. I think I'd failed a couple of other service tests that night. He was trying to make a point. He made it, all right. I never failed another service test. As to the mistakes...it depends what type. Missorts? Progression. Attendance? Needs to be cracked down on.

The theft problem in that grocery was not on my end. It was in bookkeeping or administration. Management never did figure it out but they were dumber than UPS management. -Rocky

osustuident

Its a good thing you guys post to help others out, but don't you get enough of UPS since you all already work there? Or do you get payed to maintain this website?

brownboss

Brownblood

it blows my mind to see that most of all hubs r basically being ran the same way...it looks like the expectations r all the same..which happen to be insane...BUT in my hub its all about who you know not what you know....we have so many clueless idiots that they love 2promote to partime/sup its crazy....oh and filing a grievance?...nono its an unspoken rule around there...if you file a grievance your prty much screwed...its like you go on this hitlist...its funny bc they say when you file a grievance its anonymous....ok yea right...although ive never filied 1 ive seen whats happend to employees that have and it aint pretty...so really your best like you said and its what i do...showp do you ur job to the bets of your abilities and then gohome...while stayin out the way of managment....and get this...our union rep..(who is female) runs around allday with our FTSup..meaning there like damn near bestfriends prolly messin around on the side...my point is we dont actually have any protection whatsoever...especially when r head rep is goodygoody w the enemy....ofcourse ido know we do have outside representation..but as isaid...i dont file anything...ppl dont realize..were the ones that have to work w the very same managers and or sups that we file on...but as rocky said...more times than none its attendance issues that most need the union for...i mean atleast 4the rookies that is...bc boy o boy do they love to write you up...im talkin we have ppl that stand near the entry way of the building on certain employees that record 2the tee how many minutes they are late....it came 2me when i saw this goin on w certain ppl..that hmmm..i bet they filed a grievance once or twice:blush:

LKLND3380

I am interested in applying for employment as a package handler at UPS, but there seems to be a discrepancy? On the UPS website they state if you work a standard 5 hour daily shift m-friend you will take home roughly 110-150 per week @ 8.50-9.50. My current job I only make 8 and I take home around 20-30 dollars more than that. Are there extra fees taken out besides the regular witholdings (state/fed/health ins)? I understand its a strenuous job but my other question is, do they abuse workers bodies? For example do they make you lift 70 lb+ packages continous by yourself, or are you allowed help lifting to lessen the strain on heavy boxes. I was a former carpet installer for my dads business and I know what continous unsafe lifting can do to a body.

Thanks

You could work as little as 17 1/2 hours a week @ $8.50 and that is $148.75 subtract approx. $29.75 in taxes and that is $119.00 take home pay... This falls within the 110-150 mentioned in your post...

Unless you drive the irreg cart/train chances are you will not handle over 70s continuous for 3+ hours... You can ask for help at any time and the Union contract says the company MUST provide another person or lifting device to assist you when requested...

LKLND3380

By the way, Why would part-time package handlers have to pay union dues? I hear UPS can fire P/T handlers pretty easily (which is a good thing). What exactly does the union do for the people only making 8.50 or 9.00 an hour?

There is a UPS Teamsters Master Agreement with pages that cover PT handlers... But here are a couple benefits LOCKED in by the union for PT handlers...

Minimum rate of pay...
Annual pay raises...
Health Insurance (paid by UPS)
Minimum of 3 1/2 hours
Paid break periods
Overtime pay for working over five hours each day.
Bid to full time driver from seniority list
Paid Vacations...
Option Days...
And more...

Before UPS fires you 90% of the time you will get a Warning letter first... Then if it needs to go further a few days/weeks/ months later you will get a Suspension letter... Then if it needs to go even further a few days/weeks/ months latter you will get a Termination letter... Of course being in the Union - you will feel UPS is wrong in suspending you and you will file a grievence... The you, Teamsters and management will have a meeting 10 days later or six months later to decide IF you will in fact be suspended... Same thing if you are issued a letter of termination... That is what the Union does for PT handlers...

Now if you are caught stealing - chances are you will be fired on the spot and possibly placed in the back of a patrol car... I doubt you could grieve that and get your job back. However if you need legal assistance: http://www.teamster.org/benefits/tpriv/legalservice.htm

LKLND3380

The union is also responsible for any health benefits you have. I think it's safe to say if it wasn't for our unions, p/t's wouldn't be offered any benefits. Keep in mind as a part timer at UPS you are entitled to full time time benefits.
Plus part timers would have to work OVER 40 hours to get overtime...

Think about peak...
Mon 5 hours
Tue 6 hours
Wed 6 hours
Thu 7 hours
Fri 8 hours
25 hours straight pay
7 hours time and a half...

The original post asked about take home pay at 8.50 and 9.50
Using the above time as an example...
25x8.50= $212.50
7x12.75= $89.25
Total $301.75

Any day I work over 5 hours I smile...:thumbup1:

LKLND3380

$8.50 to start and after 90 day probation get a $0.50 raise and then a $0.50 annual raise. You also get deducted for union dues for your first 4 paychecks equalling $200 and then $22 a month thereafter. (Los Angeles Area)

I paid an Initiation Fee of $19.00
Currently I pay $5.50 a week union dues ($22 a month)
Looking at my pay stub for Union Dues YEAR TO DATE ending on 12/29/06 is $238.75. Union dues are 100% tax deductible...

LKLND3380

Its a good thing you guys post to help others out, but don't you get enough of UPS since you all already work there? Or do you get paid to maintain this website?

This is where TRUE KNOWLEDGE is... UPS management will make you feel that:
YOU are the only one with misloads in the whole country.
YOU are the only one unable to keep up with loading 200+ packages an hour.
You are the only one stacking packages outside the car.

When you read these boards you see the problem is rampant and that UPS management are ignorant.

This is also a place to vent about UPS...

W

westsideworma

Its a good thing you guys post to help others out, but don't you get enough of UPS since you all already work there? Or do you get payed to maintain this website?

this is more of a support group than a place to talk about how wonderful UPS is haha. Its nice to come here and see that you're not the only one going through the current "trend" IE/Management has come up with lately. It's also nice to know whats coming if it hasn't hit your area yet.

Plus many of us don't know the ins and outs of the contract like many on here do so its always more helpful to ask here than work (usually).

705red

Browncafe Steward
it blows my mind to see that most of all hubs r basically being ran the same way...it looks like the expectations r all the same..which happen to be insane...BUT in my hub its all about who you know not what you know....we have so many clueless idiots that they love 2promote to partime/sup its crazy....oh and filing a grievance?...nono its an unspoken rule around there...if you file a grievance your prty much screwed...its like you go on this hitlist...its funny bc they say when you file a grievance its anonymous....ok yea right...although ive never filied 1 ive seen whats happend to employees that have and it aint pretty...so really your best like you said and its what i do...showp do you ur job to the bets of your abilities and then gohome...while stayin out the way of managment....and get this...our union rep..(who is female) runs around allday with our FTSup..meaning there like damn near bestfriends prolly messin around on the side...my point is we dont actually have any protection whatsoever...especially when r head rep is goodygoody w the enemy....ofcourse ido know we do have outside representation..but as isaid...i dont file anything...ppl dont realize..were the ones that have to work w the very same managers and or sups that we file on...but as rocky said...more times than none its attendance issues that most need the union for...i mean atleast 4the rookies that is...bc boy o boy do they love to write you up...im talkin we have ppl that stand near the entry way of the building on certain employees that record 2the tee how many minutes they are late....it came 2me when i saw this goin on w certain ppl..that hmmm..i bet they filed a grievance once or twice:blush:
Brownboss, are you in management attempting to scare hourlies from filing grievances? It is an UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICE for ups to talk to or discipline you about a grievance you have filed without a steward next to you, so cut out the bs. If your steward isnt doing her job ( in your opinion) then vote her out, remember she was voted in ny her peers! Look you need to be to work on time, and theres only so much the union can do for that, we cant pick you up and drive you to work, but when it comes to misloads, no we will not let them terminate you for human error.

HazMatMan

I paid an Initiation Fee of $19.00
Currently I pay $5.50 a week union dues ($22 a month)
Looking at my pay stub for Union Dues YEAR TO DATE ending on 12/29/06 is $238.75. Union dues are 100% tax deductible...

19 dollar initiation fee?? That's pretty darn cheap.. Maybe your area of the country should raise the initiation fee...Unless you forgot to add a zero??

LKLND3380

19 dollar initiation fee?? That's pretty darn cheap.. Maybe your area of the country should raise the initiation fee...Unless you forgot to add a zero??

I went on upsers.con and looked at my payroll... $19.00 is what is listed... I am not sure if being in a right to work state makes a difference?