Need Helpful Tips On Surviving the Long Hours

diesel96

Since I cut down on my hours and starting sleeping more, it has helped battle fatigue. But besides daily multi-vitamins and a good diet (google which foods make you sleepy), I found a good colon cleanse :*******: product , does a body good, and also taking Acai powder pills I've started feeling more energetic and mentality sharper. Since moving into Feeders and stopped pumping packages, I've also dedicated more time at a gym :treadmill:doing cardio and a little bit of :weightlifter:lifting. Also, because of our nocturnal occupation, I try to soak up some sun rays on the weekends :beach:and most importantly reduce stress as much as possible...Don't sweat the small stuff.

bluehdmc

I'm 55, I use melatonin, don't have the hangover effect, (I guess everyone's different). I also where a black sleep mask and have a couple of cd's that are for sleeping. I just recently got 2 of them. The instructions say to rotate them every so often. So far I've just used the 1st one, leave it on repeat and find I sleep a lot better with it. Saturday's are basically a waste for me though, I get home around 6 am, try to go to sleep by 8, wake up around 2ish and just laze around the house. Fortunately I live alone, only thing that disturbs my sleep are the landscapers in the daytime.
On the road, I do the Satellite radio, stop at rest areas for bathroom breaks, and try to park a little distance from the truck so I walk. I also take B vitamins with my meal and don't try to sleep then. (I don't want to get in the habit of sleeping at say 1am and then end up running late and my body wants it's hour "nap", when I'm still driving.) It's the long run's that seem to make me feel this way. When I had one of those runs with more legs, (run to the rail yard, come back, go to another hub, etc.) I was in and out of the truck more and rarely felt tired, more work than a drop and hook and drive 300+ miles a nite, but you might try to bid one of those jobs.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When we go on road trips and I used to do this alot when driving cross country (commercial) I stack up on audio books. It helps to keep my mind active and alert but not distracted.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Back when I was stuck on the long night feeder runs I usually would pray for traffic tie ups on my first feeder leg. When I would get to my 1st turnaround late dispatch could change my 2nd & 3rd leg to keep my hours legal. This was back in the 70's & my usual miles for the 3 legs were around 450 miles, with 100 of them on 45mph roads.

I realize that some of the feeder runs today are 600 miles on mind numbing interstates in "sweet riding" tractors compared to the friend-model Macks & Diamond T's of my era. I think the poor rides of the 70's may have kept me more alert.

I would eat a small bowl of chili with onions & cheese on top to get a good case of heart burn to keep me awake on the last leg too.

outta hours

Lots of great tips so far. But there is no substitute for sleep. I too go to bed as soon as I get home. I'll eat a light breakfast then off to bed. During the week that's just about all I do is work and sleep. My wife says If I'm not working or sleeping then I'm napping. Pretty accurate assessment. I gave up caffeine about 4 years ago. It's one of the best things I have done for myself. I have no problem staying awake all night long drinking only water and an occasional Gatorade.

If I have stuff to do I schedule it after I sleep. I always seem to pep up when I get home and that feeling fools you into thinking your body is not tired.But it is considering sometimes especially on Monday's (into Tue. morning) if your like me you may have been up for over 24 hours.

It is easy to feel guilty about sleeping especially if the wife and kids are home. But you have to do it ,your safety and livelihood depends on it. My wife never really understood that until we took a 2hr. trip and I let her drive the whole trip. I asked how she felt when we arrived. She said she was tired and stiff feeling. I told her to imagine doing that for 9 more hours dragging two trailers behind her and the added tension that would add. She finally "got it" and has never said another word about when or how much I sleep.
Good Luck and catch some zzzzzz's you'll feel better.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Driver...... can't you bid on a different run that is just 8 or 9 hours or possibly just do cover work where you just get a start time? I know all buildings are different but going from my experience doing the cover work has been easier to get the shorter work days. I'm not a big fan of the long days either.

P

pickup

a lot of good tips , here i go again with what is sure to be a long post, I once jumped in a truck with some kind of set up on the seat . It was one of those bead apparatuses that covers the back of the seat and the bottom where you butt sits. You've probably seen them in some taxi cabs with the driver sitting on them. Anyway i drove that truck that night and i did not feel as fatigued as i normally would. Perhaps it helped with the circulation. Years ago, when i did over the road driving, i was beat up and would have to stop every two hours to rest wondering how i was going to make it. Saw in the local ta truckstop some kind of seat cover made of gel like material that promised to improve my life, in desperation, i bought it and i was able to go five hours straight before needing to stop ,usually for the bathroom. I don't know if they still make them and sell them. Also. do you have moderate high blood pressure and are you taking pills for it? Sometimes those pills are too effective and lower your blood pressure to the point that your brain aint getting enough nutrient , oxygen giving blood . If this is the case, talk to the doc about lowering the dosage .( don't know if this is the case but maybe other drivers can use this info.) I know those extra 10 to fifteen pounds ain't helping and i know it is hard for them to come off given that you are sitting all the time. Good for you taking those walks anyway. Also, are you consuming those diet drinks containing aspartame(nutrasweet)? Seemingly a good deal , something for nothing. But aspartame is one of the biggest poisons that we consume (research it) and can leave you fatigued with headaches. Shots in the dark but i know this info can be helpful to other drivers if not you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I wake up 4 hrs before work and ride, on my bicycle, to the gym. I do my cardio workout, (running), and then I stretch for like half an hour. I hit the weights for an hour straight and then I go to work and deliver pkgs till I'm done. After work, I ride back home. When I get home I play with the girls and take care of whatever needs taken care of around the house. At around 9:30 - 10:00 I'm a zombie, so I take a shower and hit the hay.
This is an example of what a body can do; This isn't for everyone. I'm just 43.

It sounds to me like your body is tired of doing nothing, but driving. I say, make yourself more active during your off hours. Don't diet, just change your diet around a bit. At your age, you need to be more active because that's the turning point, it's do or die. A lot of guys settle in to where you're at, and realize, too late, the benefit of stretching, exercise and sleep. You don't want to retire from feeders as an overweight, out of shape person; It's no good for the health!:wink2:

PS I agree that there are a lot of great tips so far. I disagree with taking any drugs, as your body will get used to them, and then what? I take vitamins, and recommend you ask your doc for a good vitamin supplement. If your doc suggests a drug, dump him/her and go see another. JMHO

P

pickup

but i'll tell you a trick that I use consistently and I love it. When I get home. I fill a five gallon home depot orange bucket (homer bucket - 5 bucks) with hot water and stick my bare feet in there . The hot water forces all the arteries and veins to open up a bit and helps the circulation. After al,l your legs had pressure on them while you were sitting and the circulation was impeded. Try this, i beg you. You won't reget it. And after you do that for about 5 or 10 minutes, elevate your legs way above your heart . Rest the feet against the wall if you need to and let gravity be your friend and move the blood that gravity was pulling down all day. Try the first and or second method but if just one, the hot water bucket trick will work wonders. Don't believe me, try it and then tell me it doesn't work. Afterwards you will sleep much much MUCH better than before.

P

pickup

and in the summer months, the same home depot bucket with cold water, to contract what the heat did to me all day. Ooh, feels so good thinking about it. Tried the hot water deal in the summer time didn't seem to work so well as cold water

Mike Hawk

Most Americans are deficient in some or most of their vitamins, see a naturopathic doctor, they are more expensive and may not be covered by health care plans, but they can help with basic health things like being tired without drugs. There is no miracle cure, but they can take blood tests to identify deficiency's and correct them, and they can also help with diet. A detox program puts you on powder drinks for meals for a few weeks so your body is free of the crap that is pumped into most food, then you slowly reintroduce normal foods to identify which ones cause the problems. Someone mentioned melatonin, that is a medicine used by naturopaths that I used to take to help me sleep when I had insomnia issues. It is a natural hormone that is produced in the dark(while you sleep for most people) however when you are exposed to light(driving feeders) at night it can interfere with melatonin production and put that hormone out of whack.

Thats just an example of naturopathic methods, I'm not saying they will fix your problems, but it may be worth looking into if they can.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
You might just have to start taking a little guff from management and working less hours. When I was told that they really could not hassle me if I wanted to go home after 10 hours, if I am tired, that's all they are going to get out of me.

To keep me going during the night I eat a lot of tic tacs. Not a lot of calories, will probably make my dentist real happy several years from now. I also nap on my lunch break. I bought a seat cushion for the metal box between the seats and a throw pillow for my head. Even at 6'1", I can still stretch out pretty good.

A

anonymous6

How much total seniority do you have? If you are at the maximum number of vacation weeks, you could take off the months of January and February. The extra hour or so of driving, combined with the added tension on snow days could be just difference between feeling OK and always tired...

that's a good idea , Pretender. my folks live in Florida.

beach , ya

A

anonymous6

and in the summer months, the same home depot bucket with cold water, to contract what the heat did to me all day. Ooh, feels so good thinking about it. Tried the hot water deal in the summer time didn't seem to work so well as cold water

I will try all your tips and most of everyone else's tips. I'm desparate on improving my life.

as i mentioned before, these problems only started in the last year or two. people always said i looked 10 yrs younger than i am.

i am going to go to a different doctor and have that dye put in my veins to look for blockages. my circumstance does suggest a physical problem.

thanks everyone.