Need info/advice from Part time sups

cental34

Hey Guys
I'm a rookie to this forum but have known about it for a few months. I finally just decided to join. I just need any kind of useful/important info from past/current part time sups. I'm really interested in becoming a sup and have a few reasons for it.

1. I noticed that sups in my area area treated pretty good. I have never heard anyone from upper management yell at or treat any part time sup poorly. What I've read on this forum about how sups are treated badly in other hubs is what kept my from putting in my letter in the first place.

2. I have come to the realization that labor work is just not my thing. I can certainly do it and have done been doing it for the past 14 months. Not much time compared to most of you guys, I know. But with my work ethic, I really wouldn't last more than 7-8 more years. Even though I just work part time, I seriously bust my ass for those four hours. I've been told by full time hourlies who work in the hub to take it easy. I work safely and efficiently, just at a faster pace BTW. I've tried to take it easy and just work slow like most of coworkers but I just can't do it. I've been working like this so in case I ever am a part time sup, the guys who work in my pd will know I was not a lazy ass when I was an hourly. So whenever I need them to step it up when we get hit, I won't get lip about it like I've seen other sups get.

3. My parents are pushing me to quit this job and find something better. My mother wants me to work at the post office with her. She's upper management there and I know I could move up the ladder there quicker but I would rather do it on my own. Truth is, I'd like to stay at UPS mainly because I've met some cool, real people. I like the friendships I've made here and just feel comfortable here. Becoming a sup would get my parents off my back about leaving and give me some breathing room.

4. I'd rather have stress of the mind by becoming a sup than strain on the body by staying an hourly.

Basically, if I don't get to be a sup, I'll have to quit. I figure that since I don't like my situation, I should change it. If I can't change it, then quit and look for something else.

So If I could just get any kind of helpful info/advice from sups, I would really appreciate it. I want to know what else I could do to get noticed by upper management at UPS. I don't think my work has gotten me any recognition. Thanks to those of you who read all of this.

The best thing you can do is talk to other supervisors. They will be able to give you the best insight. I've been there. I've been an hourly, a supervisor, an hourly again, and now I'm trying to supervise again. It's not a bad job to have if you can handle it. It's not pretty. But despite what people on here say, you WILL make more than you would as an hourly, and it does look good on a resume.

As for getting noticed by management, if you're a good employee, you will get noticed. Turn in your letter, give it a couple of weeks, and follow up on it. They're looking for someone reliable, so attendance is going to be something they look at. Just keep in touch with them.

<flame on>:death:

BROWNDAWG

Regarding my user name, its just a bit of a joke. I'm quite the opposite actually. I've had the best misload frequency in the hub for a while and do more than 320 pph.
I THINK WHAT U NEED TO DO MANNY IS GET INVOLVED IN YOUR UNION AND REDIRECT YOUR FREQUENCY NUMBERS INTO HOW MANY GRIEVANCES U CAN FILE ON EVERTHING WRONG AT YOUR HUB......P.S.THAT SCARY LOOKING MANAGER WILL LEARN TO FEAR YOU AS SOMEBODY WHO HAS HIM BY HIS FAMILY JEWELS.

dillweed

Sure won't hurt to turn in the resume and see what happens. Listen to them and learn from it.

Most of the pt sups I've dealt with in 15 years have been stressed and beaten on. However, they stick around so must be made of something I'm not. All good for them and me, we're just different people. UPS management would look great on a resume for one who wants a management position.

Our best sups can somehow encourage so many types of individuals to work. Everything from college grads to ornamental floozies to gang types to older folks to the sweet, fresh kids right out of high school. On top of that they play the center manager's game without really buying into it. I have great respect for their abilities and like many of them.

If you like physical activity stay where you are but take the pace down a notch or two. You can show your stuff at UPS by being consistant. It is like the turtle and hare race so pace yourself, take time to be freindly with co-workers, watch listen and learn.

When you make your decision tell Mom and let her know how much you appreciate her offer to help. Tell her you may take it up in the future but for now feel a need to take the other path. Women take disappointment better when it's sugar coated so do it.

Damn, long winded tonight. dw

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I THINK WHAT U NEED TO DO MANNY IS GET INVOLVED IN YOUR UNION AND REDIRECT YOUR FREQUENCY NUMBERS INTO HOW MANY GRIEVANCES U CAN FILE ON EVERTHING WRONG AT YOUR HUB......P.S.THAT SCARY LOOKING MANAGER WILL LEARN TO FEAR YOU AS SOMEBODY WHO HAS HIM BY HIS FAMILY JEWELS.

Psst...someone tell BROWNDAWG to turn off CAPS LOCK, it's makes it look like he's shouting.....Who let the caps out...:lol:

Working4TheBene's

I think the question of do i or do i not become management has been and will be a long debated issue.

Many people that offer their advice of not becoming management may have never tried or been offered the opportunity. Face it, UPS in general, is not for everyone. That's why there is such a high turnover rate. So first of all, congratulations on lasting 14 months. Most new hires usually only last between 1 day to a couple of weeks. Depending on what shift you are on, the hours can be brutal.

With that said, I am not advocating whether you should or shouldn't take the opportunity, but know that within UPS there are many types of employees, from all walks of life and all working for different reasons. Part of being management is not only being a supervisor to your employees, but to be an effective supervisor, you have to be able to lead. And not everyone can lead. I'm from the school of thought that if you can help people see and believe, then they will help and go that extra mile whenever possible. Some people are cut out to be in management, and some aren't.

Management on rare occasions will recognize hard work, but on the flip side, will definitely pick up on people that have a high misload count, and for that matter, those that are spa people are also singled out if there are pal errors.... So as far as management opportunities go, I think most upper managers like the center manager/full time supes already have an idea of whom they would like to fill any open part-time supe spots with in advance. But the process is usually where you have to fill out a letter of intent and give it to your hr rep. From there, he/she will follow up with the full time supe/center mgr. If they are interested in you and there are any openings, then they will proceed with processing you thru the MAPP process.

My personal opinion is to take the opportunity as it arise. And if you are not currently enrolled at a university/college, you may want to consider the tuition reimbursement that they offer... and btw, the part-time supes get a little more than the hourlies. Just be aware that as with any job, there will be lots of up and lots of downs. As far the the physical work is concerned, you will do slightly less physical work (on many days when you have a full crew) but you'll have to deal with more mental stress. The off thing about many of the part-time supes is that they do not have any other management experience to fall back on, so when things get a little rough, they do not know how to handle those situations - but that is always a catch22, you can't get mgmt experience if you don't get hired as a manager.

If I were you, I would at least summit my letter of intent, you can always so no to the opportunity if your number is called up. You can consider the pros and cons, but it comes down to the belief if you can do the job or not. I've known supervisors that have been asked to go thru the MAPP process only after being on the job for three months, some good, some not. And there are those that have been on the job for years, and they still cannot do their hourly job properly. So the time on the job matters up to a point, but it depends on if you are a quick learner and can pick up information/instruction well as well have some good common sense. It's a lot like being on a team... you'll have your all-stars, veterans, rookies, all all in between. Knowing how to communicate and motivate all of them is the trick.

In the end, there are employees/supervisors/managers and then there are leaders.

W

westsideworma

If you are known as "Missort Manny", upper management already knows who you are! Working fast is good, but what good does it do when you load alot of packages going to the wrong destination? Working fast and screwing up is counter- productive; not a trait that will enhance your being considered your being in charge of anything for any company. Start off by learning to do the job right (no missorts) and the speed will naturally follow. No novice pianist plays "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" acuratly in the first 6 or 8 months. Learn the job first and then become the boss.

well from my perspective management in my building is starting to be over-run by IE. I've put my letter in for supervision, I passed the MAPP and now I'm just waiting. There are open spots but heres the thing. I load anywhere from 200-235 (depends on how much sleep I get really haha) an hour, the trucks are in sequential order if possible otherwise close as possible (at the very least, section loaded) and rarely have misloads (I have 3 for the month) however at the end of the day all my bulk stops get hit so I need to stack if I want to wrap, but I put it on a cart so its not on the belt most of the time. If I'm getting really hit by everything (happens at least 3 days a week)...theres no hope I have to stack behind the cars. Thing is its just RDR, RDC, RDL stops anyways so they HAVE to stay out til the end so I can load the rest of the car first....sometimes its just laughable. Another was where I had all of a bulk stops smalls (envelopes etc) in a tote...the IE guy gave my supe a hard time about that. Excuse me for giving a damn about how my trucks are loaded. He also gave me a hard time about not pulling enough PALS, I have a high volume pull, I don't have time to pull them all. I will mark the beginning middle and end of the section with PALs but thats about it. If I do have extra time, (VERY rare) I will pull them all.

However when I tried doing it their way by leaving it in my cages to avoid stacking and pulling PALs I didn't wrap...and got spoken to about it. So now I just do my own thing and say screw it. My drivers have rarely complained (if they do its almost always because of the dispatch, not me), actually a couple tried to bribe me into being their loader again haha so I know I am doing the job right. I know they (current supes) pretty much do all the things that I do too so its hard listening to a bunch of hypocrites from above. I mean I help out my neighbors, I help new hires and still they delay (I'm not trying to impress them, I normally do this).

I should note my immediate supervisors think I'd be a good candidate because I'm good with the new hires, I help my neighbors and I know the methods (don't always use them to the letter but I know them), I know most of the trucks (bulk stops, towns etc) on my line and the one I'd likely get (since I've loaded nearly all of them) and I know the right way to load a truck as evidenced by my drivers' comments. Its the upper management who seem to have the problem and unfortunately, its their call. I want to go back to school and build my resume and maybe help us retain a few new hires for once along the way, but until then I just do my job the best I can. However if they're gonna hold me back because I care about the way my trucks are loaded, thats their prerogative and they're welcome to it.

P

PTSUPBAYAREA

I am a pt sup in california and trust me....you will be working harder as a sup. There will be times were 2 sets on the line will be open, and guess what? I would have to pull both sets (7 cars) and use my personal cellphone to call my FT-sup to inform her about it. So don't think when you get promoted you will be walking around the building taking it easy. I've been in a set for the last 2 weeks because our turnover rate is bad and too many no call/no shows. And the pay isn't that good either for what you have to deal with.

Its a good job if you just want the benefits, but the benefits aren't as good as the hourly's and the hourly's get more vacation time then sups do. (Example: It takes a sup 5 years just to get a 3 week vacation/10 years to get 4 weeks.) But if you don't mind taking crap from everyone (everything rolls downhill), and loading different sets everyday, not getting invited to management parties because you're just "part-time". And getting blamed for the loaders having misroutes (as if pt sup's were the ones that caused it), Then go for it.

I always tell my guys to try driving first. Because it's full time and they will actually get a good pay check. And if they hate driving and want to go into management...then do it. It's hell of a lot easier to become a full-time sup if you having driving experience. At least here it is. A loader I had went driving and after 90 days he was promoted to full-time sup...he passed me up fast.

Just think about it....it's up to you and what you are willing to put up with.

VTBrown

Manny....the one thing you will learn at UPS is this:

The harder, faster more efficient you work. The more work you will be doing. Loading, unloading or delivering and yes even in management.

As an hourly, Management will lean on you as they know you are the go to guy. You will be doing the extra work the slobs next to you won't do or the work that has been over dispatched.

Thats my biggest beef at UPS now. If I go burn a route (taking my breaks) my reward isn't getting home to my kids....it's going back out to another area to cover pick ups or do more deliveries.

Keep it in mind here.

HazMatMan

In my building sups work harder than the preloaders, they get no respect, have to be at work EVERY SINGLE DAY, (unlimited sick days but are expected to be at work even when sick) Take all the heat when :censored2: hits the fan. But hey, if that's your cup of tea I say go for it young man...

HazMatMan

I am a pt sup in california and trust me....you will be working harder as a sup. There will be times were 2 sets on the line will be open, and guess what? I would have to pull both sets (7 cars) and use my personal cellphone to call my FT-sup to inform her about it. So don't think when you get promoted you will be walking around the building taking it easy. I've been in a set for the last 2 weeks because our turnover rate is bad and too many no call/no shows. And the pay isn't that good either for what you have to deal with.

Its a good job if you just want the benefits, but the benefits aren't as good as the hourly's and the hourly's get more vacation time then sups do. (Example: It takes a sup 5 years just to get a 3 week vacation/10 years to get 4 weeks.) But if you don't mind taking crap from everyone (everything rolls downhill), and loading different sets everyday, not getting invited to management parties because you're just "part-time". And getting blamed for the loaders having misroutes (as if pt sup's were the ones that caused it), Then go for it.

I always tell my guys to try driving first. Because it's full time and they will actually get a good pay check. And if they hate driving and want to go into management...then do it. It's hell of a lot easier to become a full-time sup if you having driving experience. At least here it is. A loader I had went driving and after 90 days he was promoted to full-time sup...he passed me up fast.

Just think about it....it's up to you and what you are willing to put up with.

I beg to differ with the vacations, it may be different in various parts of the country but supes get their 4th week of vacation after 10 years of service, we Union members have to be here 15 years to get a 4th week. after 20 years supes/workers get their 5th week of vacation. Once again, it probably varies throughout the country..

I've been asked a couple times. Never did it because it seems like a way tougher job than mine is. I value my free time and the ability to bag out on a day when I'm just not feeling it. Being an hourly was great for going to college, and now I have a baby, and it's great to just put in my hours in the morning and spend the rest of the day with her. Plus I've been there 9 years with the big fat union raises, so it makes no sense to become a supervisor at this point.
I will tell you though, there are times I regret not doing it. I tried to get another job entirely a few years ago, and all I really had to put on my resume was package handler at UPS and my college degree. Needless to say, I really didn't get anywhere, or at least find something comparable to the pay and benefits I was getting at UPS. I wonder if it would have been different if I had that management experience.
Experience means a hell of a lot these days. My husband has no college degree, yet his experience has netted him a nice office job at decent pay. He's chipping away at his degree one class at a time.

Lobofan5

Management=zero job protection.

I have seen part time sups fired for no reason whatsoever.

In my building part time sups are just like hourly employees, but they have to wear nicer clothes.

mnnice

I also forgot to mention that the hub operations manager of the hub I work at is the meanest/coldest looking guy I've ever seen. I hardly ever hear him speak. I think other than the division manager, he is the highest authority on the night shift. Would I have to have an interview with him, or the full time sup who walks around making sure the night shift is fully staffed and running smoothly. I get along with this guy better and he knows the kind of worker I am.
Manny, I was in management for 24 years and like any job you will experience in your life time there are positives and negatives and they will change every day. I don't think I would use this avenue to determine my decision. You should list the positive and negatives you see about your supervisor's job and talk to people that have become PT supervisors and see what they think. It is a tough decision when you are young and want to start a career, but make it your decision and not someone else's. You should satisfy your demands and needs from a job and not so much what your parents think you should do. They should be supporting your efforts.

Johngil

I'm a p/t sup and to me, it's a means to an end. I've only worked at UPS for a short 8 mos., and in that short time im managing pm dispatch, and saturday air operations. By taking on more responsibilities, and learning as much as you can, you can move up the ladder. Hell, our division manager started off as an OMS. Anything is possible. I turned in my intent letter 1st of the year, and I'm in the middle of the MAPP process now to become a friend/t sup. A p/t sup position is not a dead-end.

InTheRed

PT supervision is not a dead end. It becomes a dead end for many because many do not pursue moving up.

Remember why a lot of people come to PT operations in UPS. They come for a second job. A PT supe job is pretty decent income for a PT job.

Others who want to move up often don't work at getting better at what they do to get other challenges.

Not everyone is qualified.

And sometimes, just sometimes, you work for bad people who keep you down. The good thing is that people in the FT ranks move around so no one can really hold anyone down for too long.