Need knowledge about higher seniority moving to my shift putting me out of work

barnyard

KTM rider
I would be really surprised if this is not already covered in your local supplement.

In my building, if someone signed a bid to switch shifts, they would maintain their seniority. If you are in my building you are SOL.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Well,,, I don't know what contract supplement and/or local rider you are under; so the best place for answers/advice is probably in writing in those documents, or an established past practice that should be available (in writing) from your Local Union office (business agent) and the company Labor department.

Short answer: In my Local they would retain building seniority, but would not be able to use it to 'bump' existing employees out of their positions (see below). If you're being 'laid off', make them do it the right way including explaining your options (take notes, have a witness (preferably a steward or a trusted coworker)), and file for unemployment compensation if it comes to that. And hold them to proper 'return to work' notification (probably covered in your contract). Unless it's in your contract, you shouldn't be 'on-call' (unless for some reason you want to be, such as working 1 day a week to maintain health insurance). File a grievance about it to make sure it (the grievance) is done in a timely manner. The grievance could be put on hold or withdrawn 'with rights' (to refile and still be considered timely).

TL/DR: heres how some different scenarios might work in my Local (and my contract language is probably not the same as yours, so this may or may not apply to you):

• If these local sort employees are 'bidding' into preload because they would like to change shifts, they would only do so if a vacancy exists. They would not bump any current seniority preload employee out of their position. They would retain their seniority date, and be able to use that if any other position opened up ('preferred job' language). If, in the future it came to layoffs on the preload shift, their seniority dates would (apparently), place them above you.
  • If they are being 'laid off' of the local sort, they would be allowed to displace ('bump') the lowest seniority employees on the preload (or file for unemployment). Now in practice here, the lowest seniority employee is the 'unborn Teamster', meaning the as-yet unhired employee; typically would be an unloader or preloader but they could be put anywhere as long as no current preload shift employee gets bumped.

Makes no sense ...
Sorry, my English is not too good sometimes. Call your union hall and ask them. Take notes of what they say, and ask where in the contract it says that.

km3

Where I am you can only bid into positions which have a vacancy for 30 days. There is no language allowing for the bumping of less senior employees out of their regular positions except in the case of layoffs. And I find it hard to believe that with 6 years in, you're the one that's getting that's getting put completely out of work. I'd definitely call your union hall.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
mcdonaldsfeature.jpg