Need off work & not sure what to expect...

Princess0624

My family is going down to FL for christmas to be with family. I have 7 sick days to use. We are to be leaving on Tuesday, and returning the following Tuesday. The 20th-27th. I've been there over 5 years.. and I might call off once a year, if that. I think peak is over Dec. 25th, so I am going to take a personal day Tues the 27th. The 4 days I call off, what can they do to me? We have people in our building who call over every week, and nothing gets said to them. I do not have any letters, or warnings on my record.

Thanks for any responses I can get!
By the way, I did not tell my boss. My union rep said I should not tell him, because they will not let you off.. im better off just calling..

Thankss!!

Johney

The call showing from Florida isn't a clue? There is a 'me' in team.
If she has a cell phone and calls from it, won't it show a local #? The only problem I can see is 4 days are a lot in a row. They make ask for a Drs. note if you claim to be sick. Not sure you're required to get one, but maybe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

0764551639.jpg

Princess0624

Well, see I have so many personal days because I do not take them, and I don't take sick days.. I think in the 5 years i've been there, i've called off.. 2 times.. maybe 3... I'm not "notorious" for calling off. Our hub is very.. unprofessional though, thats why I wasn't sure what to expect. In my work area, the 2 people with the most call offs, have each called off 18 times so far this year, and my supervisor tells me "if upper management doesn't want to take the time to fill out the paper work, neither do I." so nothing is ever even said to those individuals. And job hunting for dummies excuse... I do have a 2nd job.. but I don't want to loose my benefits.

I don't want to hear about the "me" in team.. I've always stayed for the extra shifts around peak season. We aren't even working 4 1/2 hr days.. Lucky if we get 4 hrs and 15 mins! We aren't near as busy as we were last year.. so its not like they will miss me much. I'm just wondering what to expect when I return. We just got the new "small sort" system in.. so my job isn't "skilled" anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unused sick and personal days were paid last Friday.

What you can expect when you return is a certified letter from the company in which you will find the words "terminated" and "job abandonment".

Princess0624

I guess all UPS' are different.. i've never seen someone get fired at my hub. We have people who no show no call for 3 days.. come in the next day.. get sent home for it.. but they don't get fired

Johney

Sorry--I keep forgetting that this varies from region to region.

Call me old school but this is Peak and unless you are on your death bed you get your butt to work.
I believe she said starting the 27th? Not sure. Therefore after peak. Princess take your time, you most likely will be at the worst, a warning letter for excessive absenteeism.

Edit: After rereading you are trying to take off next week on Tuesday until the 27th? NOT a good idea but, can't say it probably hasn't been done. I still stand by what I said. If you have the cohonas(sp?) take your time and enjoy.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you've got the sick days then use them. I can assure that they won't be happy about it but since you don't have an attendance problem there isn't much they can do as long as you follow proper call in procedures. Like someone else said, make sure you use a cell phone.

packageguy

You should make up your mind, step up
to the plate, take time off and deal it it later,
I dont think you will be fired, warning letter maybe,,,,,,,

rod

Retired 22 years
The company may let you slide but your co-workers wiill harrass the hell out of you for a long time after being forced to do your extra work while you are playing. If you have told just one "friend" what you are planning I guarantee your secret isn't safe. Make sure you brag about your tan when you get back to work.

CRASH501

My family is going down to FL for christmas to be with family. I have 7 sick days to use. We are to be leaving on Tuesday, and returning the following Tuesday. The 20th-27th. I've been there over 5 years.. and I might call off once a year, if that. I think peak is over Dec. 25th, so I am going to take a personal day Tues the 27th. The 4 days I call off, what can they do to me? We have people in our building who call over every week, and nothing gets said to them. I do not have any letters, or warnings on my record.

By the way, I did not tell my boss. My union rep said I should not tell him, because they will not let you off.. im better off just calling..

Thankss!!
bury an imaginary aunt or uncle!

old levi's

blank space

Thankss!!
I think your post is titled incorrectly. Not need off; but want off. Have you stopped to think that everyone in this company would like to be off for a week at Christmas. I doubt you have ; it's all about you isn't it.

gorilla75jdw

the company will treat the time missed as 1 occurence since it was a grouped day miss . If you have days to be used at your discrestion , USE THEM , do not fear the company , I would call or text your supervisor ( text would be better as it provides actual data that can be seen by whomever depending on the situation ) , go ahead and do your family business , UPS will be slow after Christmas and will make it without you , it will be treated as 1 missed occurence , worst case scenario , you get a warning letter , grieve it and it should be a done deal , they cannot fire you if what you have said about your attendance is true ( no prior discipline for attendance in the last 9 months ) .

Integrity

Binge Poster
Wouldn't everyday you call in be a lie ??? I wonder what Mr. Integrity would say?
moreluck,

It is Integrity not Mr. Integrity.

I am of the opinion that sick days are a collectively bargained benefit and employees are entitled to use them as they see fit.

Athough the days are called sick leave the long term practice is that these days are used as discretionary days.

Sincerely,
I