Need Opinions (On topic...if you can)

Mags234

Hey y'all, first time poster, but I've been on here a lot lately. I've searched and searched and searched and haven't found anything that answers my specific situation. So, I could really use some help (and minimal trolling and thread-hijack if that's not to much to ask).

I've been hired for PT package handling jobs at a UPS Hub AND with Fedex Express and I'm not sure which one to go with. BUT, before the usual banter, here is my situation:

- In between full-time jobs and have no interest in making this a career (not that it couldn't be great, I have known people that have so no disrespect there at all) just looking to make some coin while interviewing for full-time's.
- I already have an upper-level university degree so tuition assistance doesn't play into it for me.
- The UPS hub is pretty close and Fedex is about 10min. further. With the car I'll be using, it amounts to pennies in gas difference.
- I'll admit, the fedex was more "exciting" only because it's dealing with aircraft, BUT they seemed less inclined to give a crap. While the UPS facility (<1yr) was new and people seemed less calloused.
- We all know (even noobs like me) that fedex starting pay is higher.
- Have worked terribly harsh jobs with wretched ogre sups before, so that doesn't matter much to me.

Basically I wanna know if the 3+ dollars that freddy is gonna pay is worth it *considering the above* or if I should just stick with UPS? Again, short-term, just looking to make something to keep me going.

Thanks in advance y'all (and for all the other great info - and funny remarks - on the forum)!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
3 bucks more a hour, with no plans to stick around....Glad to see that upper-level university degree is paying off...????

Box Ox

If you'll be "between jobs" for less than a year, FedEx is probably the way to go. Think most UPSers hired under the current contract come for the pay/benefits and opportunities that kick in after the first year.

PT Car Washer

How many hours a week does FedEx work? Are they more flexible? How long are you planning on working PT. UPS wages and hours are crap for the first year but after a year you will receive two weeks paid vacation and paid Holidays and free health benefits. I guess it depends on how long you plan to stay.

Mags234

If you'll be "between jobs" for less than a year, FedEx is probably the way to go. Think most UPSers hired under the current contract come for the pay/benefits and opportunities that kick in after the first year.

Didn't mean to come off as arrogant or anything. Just wanted to give the details without unnecessary info. I mean, really depends on the full-time I (hopefully) get. If I can make it work, I'd do both, but in reality, I think it'll just be a less than a year thing. Benefits in the meantime, were something I was needing too.

How many hours a week does FedEx work? Are they more flexible? How long are you planning on working PT. UPS wages and hours are crap for the first year but after a year you will receive two weeks paid vacation and paid Holidays and free health benefits. I guess it depends on how long you plan to stay.

Told me guaranteed 17.5 at FedEx, but we'll see (or so I'm told?). As for the second question, same as above.

3 bucks more a hour, with no plans to stick around....Glad to see that upper-level university degree is paying off...????

Look, I'm not trying to be an idiot here. It just seems a lot of y'all actually have experience at one or both and I came here for a heads-up because as we know, the people hiring you on can be anything but completely transparent and informative.

Mst3k

If you are leaving within a year then go Fedex, no union dues, better pay...

Wish I had known before I started. I'm also planning on leaving before my first year is up... That was 11 years ago... I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Octave

Told me guaranteed 17.5 at FedEx, but we'll see (or so I'm told?). As for the second question, same as above.
UPS guarantees preload 3.5 / day, so we should be getting 17.5 / week. They often try to send us home early and not many complain. You can force the issue and get your hours though. But, really, if you're staying less than I year and can take :censored2: whether it's brown or purple, it really seems like the extra $3/hr from X would be better for you. However, if you're unsure, go with UPS. Who knows, in a year you might want the benefits. But you know what you're looking for, if it's money now X is it, if it's benefits / career, UPS.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So, I could really use some help (and minimal trolling and thread-hijack if that's not to much to ask).
Good luck with that...might as well have put Fragile or handle with care in the title. But on to your question, short term FedX. If you think for any reason you will be around for a little while longer waiting for your degree job to hire you, I would take UPS if only for the benefits and paid vacation.

Both suck as far as hours and pay but I'd take the less sucky one. UPS is not flexible maybe Fed is.

Good luck out there!

Mags234

Thanks for the insight and smart :censored2: remarks! Appreciate y'all taking the time.

Good luck with that...might as well have put Fragile or handle with care in the title.

Both suck as far as hours and pay but I'd take the less sucky one. UPS is not flexible maybe Fed is.

Good luck out there!

Haha yep, it was meant as a joke anyway. Figured I'd get kicked around some. Not expecting either to be flexible knowing that as a PT new-hire, I'm the crumpled piece of packing tape that sticks to the bottom of their boot. Was just soliciting some pointers on where I'd be more likely to be able to just get in, shut my mouth and do work.

Thanks! You handling with Brown?

What field is your degree from the upper level university in?

Oh, haha, the university isn't upper! Sorry for the odd wording; No MIT here. Just meant the degree. As for the field, they're in the Biological and Chemical Sciences field. Unless that was a jab, in which case: obviously not in "think twice and proofread before posting" field :student:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for the insight and smart :censored2: remarks! Appreciate y'all taking the time.

Haha yep, it was meant as a joke anyway. Figured I'd get kicked around some. Not expecting either to be flexible knowing that as a PT new-hire, I'm the crumpled piece of packing tape that sticks to the bottom of their boot. Was just soliciting some pointers on where I'd be more likely to be able to just get in, shut my mouth and do work.

Thanks! You handling with Brown?

Oh, haha, the university isn't upper! Sorry for the odd wording; No MIT here. Just meant the degree. As for the field, they're in the Biological and Chemical Sciences field. Unless that was a jab, in which case: obviously not in "think twice and proofread before posting" field :student:

Both my daughter and son in law have 4 year degrees in Biology.

Neither were able to find work in their career field.

She works for a health insurance company and he is a fire fighter.