Need some advice, too many people pissed off at me.

SCV good to go sir.

Today I was given some pick ups that I've done before without a problem. When I got to my first stop (Nordstrom), I knock on the dock door and a woman answers saying that she's going to get the person in charge so I can pick up the air. I wait for about 10 minutes, nothing. I call up my supervisor, explain the situation and ask him if I can just leave, but he tells me to wait another 10 minutes. Nothing. I head into the store, explain the situation, wait about 15 more minutes only to find out that all of the dock employees are off and there aren't any airs to pick up. Needless to say I was behind on the rest of my pick ups. I wouldn't be writing this if a problem hadn't arisen. My last pick up was a UPS Store that had to be picked up between 2 and 3. It's the last pick up on the log despite being the only UPS store that has to be done before 3. I got there at 3:15 and see that the store is closed. So I called my supervisor when I saw the clerk open the door, throw all the envelopes on the ground and then close the door. I go to grab the envelopes and as I'm picking them up, the clerk opens the door and says, "I close at 3!" before slamming it shut and disappearing inside.

I was wondering how I could have handled the Nordstrom stop. Clearly I wasted way too much time there. I would have fine with leaving after the first 10 minutes, but I don't want that to come back to bite me in the ass.

I've also considered that I should have broken from the listing order of the pick ups and done the UPS store that closed at 3 first despite that throwing a wrench in running the route. As long as I make service, I can't be chewed out for not adhering to the order on the paper right?

I want to say that this is an isolated incident but it's not. As soon as I became eligible to drive I was put into cover despite being told (and having requested) that I was going to be an air driver first to gain experience. Very long story short, I wasn't ready and pretty much all the pick up customers on that route hated me because I was struggling. One of them was a multimillion dollar account that threatened to switch to FedEX until my trainer and someone from corporate went to go smooth things over.

And during peak, I can recall three separate occasions where I was subjected to people's rage. Two for parking incidents and the last one I'm not sure what caused that. This post is long, so I can elaborate more in a later post if need be.

I can understand customer frustrations when I fail to make service. I've analyzed all these incidents, some I've been able to learn from in retrospect and have applied what I've learned to become better. However, some have left me just baffled. Is it normal to get so much hate on the job? If so, how do you guys deal with it?

A part of me wants to show up at that UPS store at 1:55 the next time I have to go back. Have him chew me out for being there before 2, go back to my truck, walk back in at 2:01, tell him I'm picking up the air at that moment and won't be coming back that day, and then dropping the end of day on the floor if he has one. However, I'm pretty sure that unlike the UPS store clerk, I wouldn't be able get away with that.

It's nice that I'm developing thicker skin, but it also seems like bull:censored2: that people can act so abusive and I can't do anything about it.

HubBub

Not sure if it's a national thing but at my center there's a 15 minute window on pickups. If the pickup isn't ready 15 minutes after the scheduled pickup time, stop complete as 0 pieces and move on. Can't screw over other pickups because one wasn't ready.

O

OLDMAN3

You are going to deal with jerks when you are a cover driver. Remember that most of these customers would not act that way if they had the same driver day after day for years. When you get your own route they realize they will have to deal with you for years, so it is sometimes a struggle until the "rules" on how much service you are going to provide are worked out. Be straightforward, reasonable, but firm.

The fact that you admit to yourself that you could have handled some of the situations differently is a sign that it isn't simply a matter of you being a jerk. Consult with an experienced driver who is neither a bitter XXX, nor a management puppet about what you should have done in each situation as they come up.

You should not let the rage of others get the best of you, it is their problem. Let it go, and don't seek revenge. That being said, if someone swears at you or threatens you, walk away and report it to you supervisor... You don't have to take abuse. You really do have to have a thick skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pooter

You have to be more assertive so customers don't walk all over you. Next time, don't wait more than five minutes before finding out what's going on.

Sound rude right? Doesn't matter. Be assertive and let them know you WILL leave.

Train customers

rod

Retired 22 years
I think you are learning very early in your career that customers will walk all over you if you let them. Then again if your sup tells you to wait another 10 minutes - so be it. Don't make idle threats. If you tell someone you have to leave in 5 minutes--do it. I know I would be walking the that UPS stores door at 1 second after 2:00 if that's the scheduled window.

UPSGUY72

Why you calling you SUP for stuff you should be able to handle and make the decision on what to do. The pick up window is +/- 15 that is for you to show up and stop complete not them to be ready. The only reason you need to make accommodations if there is a (p) next to the pick up in the board that means they are a preferred customer even at those they need to be reasonable if that means you come back later so be it. You don't need to waste time waiting for 15, 20 minute or more.

You need to find out the pick spot for you pickups in the future so you can look and see if any package are going out or not. Also don't let them shut the door and lock you out side especially a retail establishment that's why they forgot about you you where out of sight.

Make service on pick ups that are going to close on or around there scheduled pick up times you can always come back to a business that is open later than it's schedule pick up time especially on Sat.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You have to be more assertive so customers don't walk all over you. Next time, don't wait more than five minutes before finding out what's going on.

Sound rude right? Doesn't matter. Be assertive and let them know you WILL leave.

Train customers
You really can't win. You try to train customers and you get customer complaints. Everyone gets to treat us like ass but we can't do anything. I'm through talking to customers.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Sounds like the Nordstrom stop caused it all. Next time dont wait so long and tell them why you can't. Most people have no idea what we go through and don't appreciate favors. Some customers will take advantage of you if you let them. Next time, find out what time they close and come back exactly 1 min before closing and make them wait on you to load up. When the inconvenience is on them, priorities change.

Future

Victory Ride
Best advice was given by PAS....if they are not ready in there scheduled window tell them politely you will return b4 there closing time...I have used this and it has worked to have the customer ready at there normal PU time!

UPSGUY72

Forgot to add last night But if they do close the door on you and leave you out side ring the buzzer again after a minute.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The UPS Store is stuck with you whether they like it or not so you really have no reason to even pretend to be nice to them anymore. I mean, they're not switching to FedEx any time soon. As for the one who had you wait for 35 minutes, just make it clear to them that you have a schedule to stick to. You're right where you said it doesn't matter what order you do pickups as long as you make service. If they like to make keeping you waiting a habit, make them your last priority.

As for people raging, it's not even worth getting upset about. You'll deal with all kinds of m----rf--kery on this job. I can't even count all the times I've had people honk at me and have epileptic seizures because they had to wait for oncoming traffic to go by or because I was blocking an alley and they couldn't take a shortcut around the traffic light. Tough s--t. I'll look at them but then I just carry on as I was.

Pissed is censored now? News to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not saying to throw their stuff on the floor or be blatantly rude. That clerk just isn't worth the time of day if that's how they want to be.

While I am not condoning her behavior, put yourself in her shoes-----she is supposed to go home at 3pm and had to wait because we couldn't bother to show up before closing time.

The UPS Store is one of those pickups that we really need to cater to.

TheKid

35 minutes ?
Really ?
And you are asking for advice ?
You waited 35 min for a pickup that didn't have anything and are searching for answers ?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
While I am not condoning her behavior, put yourself in her shoes-----she is supposed to go home at 3pm and had to wait because we couldn't bother to show up before closing time.

The UPS Store is one of those pickups that we really need to cater to.
True. I guess I often don't realize most people aren't nearly as collective as I am which is probably why I inappropriately find humor when people get mad. I still don't think waiting fifteen minutes justified having a tantrum throwing everything on the ground like a toddler.