Need some advice...

Hood83

Currently I am working as a cover driver and I'm almost finished with my 30 day packet... I've learned my route well and have been getting the job done daily and pretty much breaking even everyday... Well today I made a bad choice and turned down a driveway to drop a box off to a guy that I just called on the phone to ask him how to get to his place and he told me to drive through the gate and told me it was safe to get my truck down the driveway.... As soon as I started driving down it I knew it wasn't gonna be good because of how narrow it was and because of all the rain we have had in the past couple days... Needless to say I got stuck and still had 20 stops left...my only option was to call my manager and they had to send a tow truck to get me out... I have heard that this type of incident is considered an accident.... Can someone please tell me what to expect. Am I going to lose my job over this since I'm still in my 30 day packet. I have worked really hard to become a driver and would hate to lose everything over this :censored2: mistake I made. Any advice would be appreciated?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Really up to the center manager. If they like you, you might be ok but in reality they do consider that an accident. But as shady as the center manager'S are they may not call it in as an accident because there was no damage to property or other vehicles. Or worst case scenario, they cover accident and don't tell anybody and they still disqualify you because it was within your first 30 days. All I can say is good luck and if you don't prey, you might want to start dude.

Hood83

The only good thing is that my supervisor likes me and told me he was gonna try and talk to the main boss for me and try to not have me disqualified. I'm gonna show up early Monday morning and talk to the center manager... Just sucks because Ive been doing really well and don't wanna lose my opportunity over this one mistake. I'll be praying all weekend for sure. Thanks.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The only good thing is that my supervisor likes me and told me he was gonna try and talk to the main boss for me and try to not have me disqualified. I'm gonna show up early Monday morning and talk to the center manager... Just sucks because Ive been doing really well and don't wanna lose my opportunity over this one mistake. I'll be praying all weekend for sure. Thanks.
We all mistakes dude, no biggee. Just have to learn from them, and you will on this job trust me. Keep my fingers crossed for ya bro.

Hood83

Yeah I would definitely never make that mistake again... And if I get another opportunity I will definitely not take it for granted... The job is tough and my route is horrible but I still love waking up and going to work.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah I would definitely never make that mistake again... And if I get another opportunity I will definitely not take it for granted... The job is tough and my route is horrible but I still love waking up and going to work.
Youll love going to work for a couple years then youll get sick of it after a while. It wears on ya especially the hours. Only cool part bout the job for most part is seeing that fatazz paycheck deposited into your checking account on Fridays. This kobs kinda like a bad marriage, like being in a bad marriage and staying together because of the kids aka FAT MONEY lmfao.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Currently I am working as a cover driver and I'm almost finished with my 30 day packet... I've learned my route well and have been getting the job done daily and pretty much breaking even everyday... Well today I made a bad choice and turned down a driveway to drop a box off to a guy that I just called on the phone to ask him how to get to his place and he told me to drive through the gate and told me it was safe to get my truck down the driveway.... As soon as I started driving down it I knew it wasn't gonna be good because of how narrow it was and because of all the rain we have had in the past couple days... Needless to say I got stuck and still had 20 stops left...my only option was to call my manager and they had to send a tow truck to get me out... I have heard that this type of incident is considered an accident.... Can someone please tell me what to expect. Am I going to lose my job over this since I'm still in my 30 day packet. I have worked really hard to become a driver and would hate to lose everything over this :censored2: mistake I made. Any advice would be appreciated?

You probably talked to the manager in automotive, right?

Did he ask whether you were in a residential driveway or a normal road? Did you offer that information up without being asked?

Believe it or not, the difference between the two means the difference between an accident and "getting stuck".

You aren't the first to get a car stuck in mud and you certainly won't be the last.

Hell, my center has qualified nimrods that tore down church awnings in their first 30 days.

You're in a lucky period of time. The company is in desperate need of good drivers. And, even good drivers get stuck every now and then.

You'll probably be fine. Now hurry up, I need you to come get about 20 stops from me!

Sent using a Potato

Hood83

I hope it goes well on Monday... I'm hoping that since I asked the guy if it was safe to go down there and he said yes that will help me out a little bit... Also it's not a nice area or anything it's just a dirt road and besides the big ruts I left from trying to get out there's really nothing damaged. I also called the guy and told him I would come by this weekend and help shovel or fix anything that was messed up.... It was just poor judgement on my part that I should have avoided.

CHALLY9TX

What part of the country are you in? The reason I ask because you can have a minor accident while training and still qualify. It's in the contract. It's up to management though. And not sure if this would be considered minor.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Hood83

I would think that if I was in a wreck or hit another vehicle that it would be completely understandable to get disqualified.. But this situation is just a :censored2: choice I made that would have been easily avoidable... I was just trying to do a good job and get the guy his package... Hoping they see that and give me another chance.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I got stuck once in a package car and a good customer came by and pulled me out. I was just barely stuck. I reported it and was told it wasn't a problem. I also heard of another driver who got stuck and since he had a wrecker pull him out and it cost the company $$$$, he got charged with an avoidable. That was a long time ago tho.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I would think that if I was in a wreck or hit another vehicle that it would be completely understandable to get disqualified.. But this situation is just a :censored2: choice I made that would have been easily avoidable... I was just trying to do a good job and get the guy his package... Hoping they see that and give me another chance.

Nothing to worry about, I promise.

When you qualify and experience the worst peak any driver has ever seen, bump this thread and remind everyone who told you, "it's gonna be alright".

Sent using a Potato

O

OLDMAN3

It all depends on your center manager. If he is in a position where he can not afford an accident (the ruts not just the tow) he will likely just bury it. This does not mean that you will, or will not make book, that is completely up to him. If and when you make book, always call in anything that could be considered an accident (like you did). Your first inclination will be to try to hide the accident, but that will get you fired. Years ago we had a 20 year driver who had 5 minor accidents in 6 months, he is still working for UPS.

I will be praying for you this weekend as well. Perhaps God has different plans for your future? Either way God bless you.

Hood83

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I figured when I post this people would be giving me :censored2: for being a :censored2: lol... But I do feel a little better now. I'll just hope for the best and show up Monday morning and see what happens.

O

OLDMAN3

As Harry Manback (gross name) points out, it is best to call your center manager rather than an automotive manager for a tow. Your center manager has a vested interest in not classifying a tow as an accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OLDMAN3

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I figured when I post this people would be giving me :censored2: for being a :censored2: lol... But I do feel a little better now. I'll just hope for the best and show up Monday morning and see what happens.
Every rural driver has gotten stuck at some point. Make sure the homeowner says it is no big deal and doesn't want anything from UPS before you call it in. And mention that to your center manager when calling it in. Also it is a good idea to have a local guy you can call for a free tow if at all possible.

Hood83

I tried to call multiple tow places and pay for it myself. But no one would help me they all said i was out of there area. I'll take it as a lesson learned and hope for the best.

Hood83

I'm gonna drive out there tomorrow morning and talk to the guy again and help him out so that when my boss calls Monday morning to talk to him maybe he will take it easy on me.

O

OLDMAN3

I'm gonna drive out there tomorrow morning and talk to the guy again and help him out so that when my boss calls Monday morning to talk to him maybe he will take it easy on me.
Just never do this type of thing without calling in the incident. It would look like you were trying to cover up an accident, and would be fired. Be super careful (no accidents or injuries) until you make book. Usually people on dirt roads with dirt driveways know ruts are just part of life. Did the Supervisor visit the scene and take pictures? Around here, if they did not, it almost always means they are planning on not charging an accident.