Need Some Honest Opinions!

ThatOneGuy

It is impossible to say that 300-380 an hour is below average. That is well above average , when higher volume of packages are hitting or not. Also including it is two smaller load, rather than one very heavy outbound, where you can rack up 400-500/hr without breaking a sweat. It takes time to move between them plus have to login/out of each one with the scanners, assuming you have a similar setup.

Do NOT let UPS bully you. Work hard but smart and you will be fine. Their numbers are meaningless, always remember that!
Yes, I have to log in/out constantly lol. I actually got had 2 misloads in a row last night, because i get a little flustered trying to speed up and all. I hope they don't can me before my probabtion period is over. i have had a few misloads in the last couple of weeks. Not good, but I'm gonna be kickin ass and takin name tonight baby! lol

dillweed

As long as you're doing the best you can, it's fine. Thirty days isn't long enough to be comfortable with loading. When I was new the place blew my mind with all the activity, shouting, pkgs tumbling everywhere. So many new things to learn and no one seems to have time to help. I was on the preload with three pkg cars and it took me months to really feel confident.

As you get more familiar with the load you'll find that, by scanning with your eyes, you can pick out two pkgs going to or near the same place in your trailer. If they're not too large grab them both. You'll learn shortcuts but only after you've had time to learn the job. Take it easy on yourself. Also, watch those loaders who seem to have extra time. See what they are doing right and don't be afraid to ask them questions. They were also new at one time.

You don't have to be the fastest or best. Work safe and follow the methods they teach you. If your sup says you're too slow just ask if they have any suggestions. I've done that and learned some pretty good tricks. Some are just blowing wind from their butts and you'll soon recognize that. If they bring someone to help, smile and say thanks. Don't feel it's because you're not fast enough, it's because there's too much flow at the time.
So hang in and hang on for the ride! Be safe and be satisfied with yourself.

DorkHead

I never had to load trailers, but I did unload them when I started back in the early eighties. We had to unload 1080 pph. My mindset was that UPS was paying me to work out.
Just pay attention to what you`re doing and think ahead and the speed will come.

ymelord

It's not your fault, management didn't train you good enough. Remember everything is always there fault. Hang in there you'll figure out the easy way to do things.

brownIEman

I loaded around 700 pph when I started moving up to around 1000, would load 3 to 5 trailers a night depending on if they were shorties or rails. Course, that was way back in the day before we scanned them all, so it was just grab, verify zip and load, no log in log out.

Sounds like you will likely be ok, just keep a positive attitude, ask for pointers from your sups and from the more seasoned loaders and take the suggestions to heart. If you keep a good attitude and show improvement, you will be fine.
Do not listen to the folks here who tell you to ignore production and just be happy going slowly. At least not yet. If you start to display that sort of attitude during your probationary period you will likely not make it past that.

washington57

I loaded around 700 pph when I started moving up to around 1000, would load 3 to 5 trailers a night depending on if they were shorties or rails. Course, that was way back in the day before we scanned them all, so it was just grab, verify zip and load, no log in log out.

Sounds like you will likely be ok, just keep a positive attitude, ask for pointers from your sups and from the more seasoned loaders and take the suggestions to heart. If you keep a good attitude and show improvement, you will be fine.
Do not listen to the folks here who tell you to ignore production and just be happy going slowly. At least not yet. If you start to display that sort of attitude during your probationary period you will likely not make it past that.

I've seen one guy do 900pph. He was a crazy man and was absolutely working extremely unsafe and had crap walls and sups breaking jams for him.

When i was new and cared about it i would go at 500pph. 700pph best ever. worth far more than the $8.50 an hour i was making. that pace wears down the body very fast. I'm so glad i realized my mistake of working too hard for this company after only 1 year here thanks to an extreme harassment from a fulltime sup who opened my eyes about how management really feels about their union employees.

CustomerConcern

Never did trailers but I know that after a couple of months you start gettting faster and faster. There is no magic method its just the repitition of the job, those guys who are never in their trailers have been on the job a while I bet. Just ignore the mgt just nod and smile and "I'll get faster/better sir/ma'am". Hang in there, don't overthink the job, be safe, and do what you were trained to do.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

If slow is his pace, he should just be himself. UPS will get rid of him. I don't think asking someone slower to work fast is safe.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a loader I was always near 1300-1800 a night but I only loaded for maybe 6 months. First two hours were 400-500/hr, though.

scanners / breakdowns / log in/outs etc , break jams, move bulk, pickup all of the overflow is where the time is lost.

Overall if you maintain a decent pace and "hang in there" it is an okay job. Don't try to be a hero, or someone you are not, is my best advice.

anonUPS

get a 5 hour energy and just hustle. if there's a really heavy trailer on your belt, ask for it for the week and provided you get help breaking jams and stuff you should be in the high 300s all night long. don't go so fast you hurt yourself though.. it's not worth it. move quickly, but with purpose. keep on at it brother, a positive attitude makes ALL the difference in this job. :)

whiskey

Loading is an art form and not for everybody. Some of the loads I have seen over the years have been truly extraordinary. Any one who has unloaded knows what I'm talking about.
I hate to say it, but some of the best loaders, come to work stoned.
If I were you, I'd ask to try another job inside the building. Ask and you shall receive.

washington57

Loading is an art form and not for everybody. Some of the loads I have seen over the years have been truly extraordinary. Any one who has unloaded knows what I'm talking about.
I hate to say it, but some of the best loaders, come to work stoned.
If I were you, I'd ask to try another job inside the building. Ask and you shall receive.

some people just get how to load and some just crash and burn.

ThatOneGuy

hey all, got an update for ya. my last three nights went pretty bad, ended up with 6 misloads in 3 nights cuz i was getting so flustered. My sup told me that they wouldn't can me because I showed up every day on time and had a good attitude. tonight when I got there, they sent me home and informed me that i would be moving to unload monday. I think I will do much better on the unload, seeing that my brain won't be playing games with me as much. We'll see how it goes. I really appreciate all the replies! Later!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
hey all, got an update for ya. my last three nights went pretty bad, ended up with 6 misloads in 3 nights cuz i was getting so flustered. My sup told me that they wouldn't can me because I showed up every day on time and had a good attitude. tonight when I got there, they sent me home and informed me that i would be moving to unload monday. I think I will do much better on the unload, seeing that my brain won't be playing games with me as much. We'll see how it goes. I really appreciate all the replies! Later!

The unload is much easier and less thought.

Your best friend will be your sorter - or worst enemy, my words of wisdom for Monday: put yourself in your sorters shoes, seen from your sorters eyes - then unload no faster than you would want to sort!

have a good weekend ;)

Nimnim

The Nim
Good luck in the unload. They'll want you moving packages faster than as a loader, but you're not having to check what's on the label or scan so it's much easier to go faster. My best advice to you as a former unloader and sorter, keep your labels up or out, don't send opens(sometimes unavoidable), and don't push too hard. Unload is very hard on the body over time, you'll get faster over time and be able to maintain your pace better.