Need some perspective

overflowed

I got a new one from dispatch couple days ago on a dex 3.
here's how it went.
dex3 no house numbers .
dispatch- good address. reatt required
me- dex3 no house numbers.
dispatch-add good reatt required
me - you reading me NO HOUSE NUMBERS ON ANY HOUSES IN THE STICKS

the way disp said reatt required really got me PO'd. was't like the csa's "is it possible you can go back and eta please ? no manners any more.
sheesh

hypo hanna

As a former dispatcher let me help clarify from their view.
Your dex03 hit their screen. They are now required to research it in X amount of time. They found a ph number and got rcpt on line who said it was correct address. The dispatcher has a list of phrases that he can copy n paste in the comment screen in cosmos. In this case it would have been something like, "address correct- please deliver". Most dispatchers would type the same thing into the message screen and send it back to the driver. They can only go by what the customer told them and they have to put the EXACT phrase into the cosmos comment screen or they get dinged. Now when the cust confirms the address most but not all dispatchers will ask things like, "are your house numbers visible from the street?" Or "can you describe your place?". Looks like your dispatcher didn't care to or didn't have time to research further. (Remember they are also getting the same BS from mgmt that drivers are getting.) he may have felt he did all the research he could.
IMO dispatcher should have gotten u directions and description of the house but i don't think he was trying to be rude. He was probably mad because now he has to make two calls to the idiot customer where he should have only had to make one.
Look at it another way. Driver can't find stop in the sticks. Sends dispatch a message like "can't find 123 Podunk Rd. can u get me directions? " Then does the pux scan to save service or not do the pux scan at all if there is time. Now he is looking at one phone call to idiot customer maybe no comment screen to update and you aren't being sent back after you had moved on down the road.

Last edited:

Goldilocks

I think everyone of us has had days like that. Hang in there, it will get better.....I'm always on the phone with dispatch if I cant find a house. It's really bad when you have no service on your phone and your pp is in noack....Days like that I just clock out and go to the nearest liquor store....lol...

LTFedExer

My turn:

Address - 123 Main street suite 210
Dex 3 - suite is empty, not listed in directory
Dispatch - address correction - 123 Main street suite 210

smiley-confused004.gif
smiley-confused004.gif

hypo hanna

It is possible the customer wanted it delivered to an empty suite. I got cussed out once because the customer wanted pkg del to empty model home. You would have been covered since the message directed u to del it there. It couldn't hurt to send the dispatcher back a msg asking if they are sure since they sent back the same address.

Rhoderunner

It is possible the customer wanted it delivered to an empty suite. I got cussed out once because the customer wanted pkg del to empty model home. You would have been covered since the message directed u to del it there. It couldn't hurt to send the dispatcher back a msg asking if they are sure since they sent back the same address.

You're really reaching on this one. If it's empty it's either a 8 or a 03, no way if I just leave a package there. I get dispatchers are under the gun too but seems like more and more they just check a address on google maps and tell you 'address correct'. They have goals to meet and find ways to do the minimum amount of work to achieve them. That's where this company has gone wrong !! Individual goals are more important than customer service. There's no time to spend getting it done right.

I

IslandGirl

As a dispatcher,former driver,and someone who has had to call an ambulance several times..I verify address with recip..not only the number but a visual description.
Are the house numbers clearly visible?..(one guy the other day..very sheepishly..I hear the front door being opened..and 'oh,yeah'..um)..the pumpkin was in front of it..!!
What distinguishing features about your house?..is there a certain car,house color,lawn/garden feature..??
Frequently,we check regional district websites..as these maps have every property outlined within every district..so often..there is a house behind a house..or 5 houses
share a driveway..and it's house A,B,C etc..we can also check with the local fire dept..as they have current,up to date maps of every street in a city,town,village,farm territory etc..
So many people do not have numbers on their house anymore..but because they go home to the same house everyday..can't figure out why someone WHO NEVER GOES THERE..can't find their house..yes..I know you know where you live..but we don't...are the sub driver doesn't etc..I tell people...in an emergency...would the ambulance be able to find your house?...a few seconds of the ambulance creeping down your street,looking for addresses(he knows it there-somewhere)..seems like an eternity and can make a life saving difference..
Hang in there..and the dispatcher needs to think outside Google maps..and the room they are sitting in..

barnyard

KTM rider
Made up story...

I could see that happening near me. I saw an ad on CL for a Fed Ex ground route. Ad said it would take at least 10 hours to complete the route. Started in LaCrosse, Wi, route was 250-300 miles. I have seen the same type of ads in SD, ND and western Mn. I know there is a 300 miler that dispatches out of the center in my home city.

I was picking up at a warehouse while the ground guy was also picking up. He asked me how often I broke the daily or weekly hours of service. I told him 'never.' He said he was routinely on the clock from 6a to 9 or 10p. I said there was no way any franchise owner would allow that. He said that the owner had just bought the routes and asked him to do a favor by working the extra hours. Young and stupid. Poor guy.

While we were talking, the Spee Dee guy shows up and he says that they routinely break the hours of service rule (the owner of Spee Dee is cheap, but I am pretty sure he does not break the HOS laws) anyways, a neighbor of mine is a State Patrol commercial inspection officer. I relayed those stories to him and while he agreed that the Spee Dee guy was probably full of it, he wondered about the Ground guy. He said he would look into it.

Turned out, Spee Dee freaked out by the audit and they did have some violations. Never heard about the Fed Ex guy, so do not know if anything happened.

A few years before that, I told the same commercial enforcement guy about the DHL feeder guy that was swapping trailers at another place. Half the tires on the empty he pulled in and half on the loaded trailer were bald. The Hwy patrol put both trailers out of service and 4 skids of premiums missed service.

Would I turn in these guys if I did not know an enforcement guy??? More than likely not, it was very, very easy, so why not?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I got a new one from dispatch couple days ago on a dex 3.
here's how it went.
dex3 no house numbers .
dispatch- good address. reatt required
me- dex3 no house numbers.
dispatch-add good reatt required
me - you reading me NO HOUSE NUMBERS ON ANY HOUSES IN THE STICKS

the way disp said reatt required really got me PO'd. was't like the csa's "is it possible you can go back and eta please ? no manners any more.
sheesh

Just remember...you don't have to answer messages.

hypo hanna

You're really reaching on this one. If it's empty it's either a 8 or a 03, no way if I just leave a package there. I get dispatchers are under the gun too but seems like more and more they just check a address on google maps and tell you 'address correct'. They have goals to meet and find ways to do the minimum amount of work to achieve them. That's where this company has gone wrong !! Individual goals are more important than customer service. There's no time to spend getting it done right.

Again, once the dispatcher sends you that MSG to del to that address, u r covered. If the customer then complains, it's on the dispatcher. Are there dispatchers that do the minimum? You better believe it. But in the scenario I wrote, it was his butt on the line not the driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Again, once the dispatcher sends you that MSG to del to that address, u r covered. If the customer then complains, it's on the dispatcher. Are there dispatchers that do the minimum? You better believe it. But in the scenario I wrote, it was his butt on the line not the driver.

Are you saying that if your dispatcher directs you to deliver the package to an obviously vacant house you do it? What if the dispatcher told you to jump off a bridge---would you do that to? The last time I checked we all have the ability to think for ourselves and if the dispatcher is directing you to do something that is simply wrong why in the world would you do it. Bring the package back as "vacant" and let your clerks do their job.

hypo hanna

Are you saying that if your dispatcher directs you to deliver the package to an obviously vacant house you do it? What if the dispatcher told you to jump off a bridge---would you do that to? .

On delivering the pkg, Yep. Now as to jumping off bridges, last I checked, it isn't part of the job description. What the h@$& does it matter if he delivers to an empty house? If that's the address that the dispatcher sent him, his backside is covered.