Need time off

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by lovemyupser, May 11, 2016.

1. lovemyupser

lovemyupser Member

My husband is the UPS driver. I ended up with a torn meniscus. Surgery is in the near future. Just got to work out details on this.

My husband will need to take the week off that I'm having surgery. Kids will need to get to and from school and I won't be driving for a while since it's my right leg. I really DO NOT want my mother in law coming over to help me.

What do we have to do so he can use (or move) a vacation week to the week I have surgery. Or should I just wait and do the surgery when his vacation comes up the last 2 weeks of June.

2. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Family leave might work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. Tell him to apply for FMLA immediately

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

he'll have to speak to his immediate supervisor about moving his vaca. depends on how many people are off the week you want. Memorial day week and after is usually impossible at out hub.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

If he signs up for FMLA he can take it off if they like it or not

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. And keep his medical benefits.

7. Wally

Call Mom to come over. I don't have time for dat'!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Easy delivery

Easy delivery New Member

He cant take off who will run the route? UPS will be in a panic to cover a route!

9. Life goes on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  10. lovemyupser

lovemyupser Member

You all make me laugh so much. His center will be in a panic. If they give him hell I will just call the union rep who is one of my good friends.

11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

If he only needs a week off and you're scheduling your surgery and it isn't immediately necessary....wouldn't it be more prudent to schedule the surgery at the end of June when the kids are out of school and your husband is on vacation?

If not, tell him to talk to his steward and FT sup. Sometimes management will make exceptions about changing vacation weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

If your in with the union and already have a plan if they don't let him take the time off why are you asking us what to do.

13. bleedinbrown58

Or more importantly, why is she asking for advice on how her husband can get time off from HIS job? He needs to grow a pair and handle his own business.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. lovemyupser

lovemyupser Member

I hate bugging our rep. I work from home and homeschool our kids so I have little time to do things like this.

15. lovemyupser

lovemyupser Member

I'm asking because he's busy driving me to the doctors and the kids to taekwondo class today.

16. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

Well then your husband is going to have to put his big boy pants on and talk with his sup to see if he can switch his vacation around.

17. lovemyupser

lovemyupser Member

He will talk with them tomorrow when he goes to work. I'm just curious as to the process of this.

18. Wally

Haven't seen him since election time?

19. rod

rod retired and happy

Does he know what he's really in for? :-) He will be begging to go back to work

20. bleedinbrown58

When I needed to switch one of my vacation weeks last year....I met with my FT sup and steward and explained the situation...and she approved the switch. But they do have the right to refuse.