Need time off

lovemyupser

My husband is the UPS driver. I ended up with a torn meniscus. Surgery is in the near future. Just got to work out details on this.

My husband will need to take the week off that I'm having surgery. Kids will need to get to and from school and I won't be driving for a while since it's my right leg. I really DO NOT want my mother in law coming over to help me.

What do we have to do so he can use (or move) a vacation week to the week I have surgery. Or should I just wait and do the surgery when his vacation comes up the last 2 weeks of June.

My husband is the UPS driver. I ended up with a torn meniscus. Surgery is in the near future. Just got to work out details on this.

My husband will need to take the week off that I'm having surgery. Kids will need to get to and from school and I won't be driving for a while since it's my right leg. I really DO NOT want my mother in law coming over to help me.

What do we have to do so he can use (or move) a vacation week to the week I have surgery. Or should I just wait and do the surgery when his vacation comes up the last 2 weeks of June.
Tell him to apply for FMLA immediately

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
he'll have to speak to his immediate supervisor about moving his vaca. depends on how many people are off the week you want. Memorial day week and after is usually impossible at out hub.

lovemyupser

You all make me laugh so much. His center will be in a panic. If they give him hell I will just call the union rep who is one of my good friends.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

If he only needs a week off and you're scheduling your surgery and it isn't immediately necessary....wouldn't it be more prudent to schedule the surgery at the end of June when the kids are out of school and your husband is on vacation?

If not, tell him to talk to his steward and FT sup. Sometimes management will make exceptions about changing vacation weeks.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He will talk with them tomorrow when he goes to work. I'm just curious as to the process of this.
When I needed to switch one of my vacation weeks last year....I met with my FT sup and steward and explained the situation...and she approved the switch. But they do have the right to refuse.