Need to quit on very short notice...

UPSguy06

Due to personal reasons that I'm not going into on here, I need to quit my job immediately. I'm a preloader and have been working at UPS for five years and I have several weeks of unused vacation and sick days saved up, if I quit over the phone tomorrow morning will I still be paid for those? I know this is not the ideal way to quit a job but I have no other choice realistically.

old levi's

blank space
Due to personal reasons that I'm not going into on here, I need to quit my job immediately. I'm a preloader and have been working at UPS for five years and I have several weeks of unused vacation and sick days saved up, if I quit over the phone tomorrow morning will I still be paid for those? I know this is not the ideal way to quit a job but I have no other choice realistically.

Have you considered using the family leave act to deal with the situation instead of losing your employment?

Ghost in the Darkness

If you called in and quit over the phone could you really blame them for making it as hard as possible for you to get paid for your personal time? Do the right thing and give proper notice.

UPSguy06

If you called in and quit over the phone could you really blame them for making it as hard as possible for you to get paid for your personal time? Do the right thing and give proper notice.

If I could, I would. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon for Georgia (I live in California now). This was completely unexpected and I can't change it.

UPSGUY72

That's not really feasible as I am going to be moving across the country and do not expect to return for a few years at least.

I would use FMLA to start then in a week or two call your HR person and say that your going to be out longer than what FMLA covers. This way you might able to get another job at ups in the future either some where else or back at the same building. Either way you will get paid for any day they owe you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Do the FMLA and try to get them to pay you out for your remaining vacation as a gesture to help you with heartship, that is if your situation qualifies.
Secondly, this course of action may extend your benefits as well, although I'm not sure if this is the case.
Worse case is you will be covered till the end of May, maybe not if you voluntarily quit tomorrow.
I think I would call in tomorrow and contact your business agent to weigh your options.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why don't you sit down with your immediate supervisor, let him/her know what is going on (with as much or as little detail as you choose) and then discuss your options? I am not familiar with the qualification and application procedures for FMLA so don't know if it would apply to your situation. Good luck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The national contract has language regarding a leave of absence. Generally you should write a letter to both the company and the union regarding the leave of absence and get those letters certified. You should disclose the reasons you must leave immediately without warning.

I see no reason you wouldn't get paid for your remanining sick/personal days. However, you may only get a portion of it returned, I forget the contract language on that ( and all of the supplements). Vacation time may be pro-rated upon how long you worked during the year (whether it starts Jan 1, or May 1, or whatever).

raceanoncr

The OP cannot use FMLA unless it has been approved by Doc or caregiver. Forms have to be signed, sent in and approved.

AND, if you fraudulantly get FMLA in effect, well, good luck in the future.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The OP cannot use FMLA unless it has been approved by Doc or caregiver. Forms have to be signed, sent in and approved.

AND, if you fraudulantly get FMLA in effect, well, good luck in the future.

Right on, which is why I ignored FMLA and addressed the "leave of absence" , which this situation may qualify for.

whiskey

In our area, we have to take our vacations. And our calendar year starts May first. The only days we can "save" are optional holidays. If we don't use them up, UPS cuts a check for them the first week in May. But, again, we cannot save up vacation weeks in our area. We have to use them.
Good luck.