Need you to take -- stops off 'so and so' ...

averageguy

So at our building we had our DM come and gripe about all the drivers that weren't making 9.5 (apparently it is now a huge problem 'rolls eyes'), so warning letters and such were given out to drivers who were over-allowed that day to intimidate everyone and show that he's serious.

My favorite part was right after he was done ranting he said, and I quote "and yes I also encourage you to take lunch".. What an obvious way to cover yourself hahah..

Anyway to get to the point, I actually supported his argument because the blame was not only placed on drivers.. The dispatch (where the blame partly should belong) got the brunt of it too. Oh man, that entire week was perfect. Dispatches were awesome, never seen anything like it. Punch-outs were no later than 7 for that entire week. All drivers were working, because all routes were in. There was no 'using seniority to get the day off', or shuttle drivers as they put it.

We all worked, and we all had fair dispatches.

Fast forward to the subsequent week, 9.5's everywhere.. People going out with loads that they can't even fit into their car so instead some full time drivers work as shuttle drivers to shuttle the packages to them (which frankly makes absolutely no earthly sense to me whatsoever, because if they're working anyway why not split the garbage dump truck routes into two and run a smoother day for all parties - customers included)..

And yes these shuttle drivers still work until about 5.. getting misloads and such and goofing off. That was a problem too and had been addressed by a previous center manager who is now transferred.

My problem with all of this, is the consequences. Because of all that was stated, once I'm done which is usually around 6:30pm.. It never fails that I get that green light of bad vibes, that makes my stomach turn upside down because I'm literally one stop from going home which gets my mind set on my wife's cooking and what not (newly wed here).

So now I have to go help someone.. but wait, I also now have to make sure I make 9.5? To hell with that.

So now I make my cutoff to help at 6, which lets be honest.. When was the last time you were done that early. If it is after 6pm and I get a green lighter I now refuse to help people. My question is that if they decide to discipline you for refusing to follow instructions will saying "well I had to make 9.5 hold up"?

Are we allowed to even refuse to help another driver regardless of circumstances..? Not that I mind helping, but just not every single day sometimes it wears a guy down.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Refusing to work as instructed is grounds for discipline. When they instruct you to help someone else inform them in the DIAD to set up a meet point at xxx time and xxx location. You can refuse to use your phone to communicate to the person you are helping. If you are one second over 9.5 three days file a grievance. All of these things will make it much more of a chore for management to ask you to help someone and they'll likely find some other person that is easier to work with to help.

averageguy

Refusing to work as instructed is grounds for discipline. When they instruct you to help someone else inform them in the DIAD to set up a meet point at xxx time and xxx location. You can refuse to use your phone to communicate to the person you are helping. If you are one second over 9.5 three days file a grievance. All of these things will make it much more of a chore for management to ask you to help someone and they'll likely find some other person that is easier to work with to help.

Am I able to do that even though I'm a cover? File a 9.5 grievance that is.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Not much you can do. Do keep in mind that after you finish the last stop of your dispatch, if that little green light of horror comes on while you're on your way in you don't have to reply.

Remember, "check green DIAD light" is not one of the 5 seeing habits or part of the 10-point commentary. Drive back to your building and if questioned, tell them you were too busy paying attention to driving to notice. Check your supplement - you may be entitled to OT if you are re-dispatched before your 8th hour. The more you know...

averageguy

But in my case, the driver hasn't and won't file a 9.5 grievance (already had a talk with em'). Plus I cover all kinds of routes, even hastily put together routes that have no driver. In this case would I still be able to file?

oldngray

nowhere special
Not much you can do. Do keep in mind that after you finish the last stop of your dispatch, if that little green light of horror comes on while you're on your way in you don't have to reply.

Remember, "check green DIAD light" is not one of the 5 seeing habits or part of the 10-point commentary. Drive back to your building and if questioned, tell them you were too busy paying attention to driving to notice. Check your supplement - you may be entitled to OT if you are re-dispatched before your 8th hour. The more you know...

its great when that green light comes on after you get back to building. You don't have to go back out.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
But in my case, the driver hasn't and won't file a 9.5 grievance (already had a talk with em'). Plus I cover all kinds of routes, even hastily put together routes that have no driver. In this case would I still be able to file?
No. Once you get your own bid route life as a FT UPS driver gets easier and clearer. We were all there at one time or another, being low on the pole that is.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I get the 'green light of death' asking me to help another, I usually respond with 'no.' If I am asked again, I reply, "Only if I am being forced."

If there is a lower seniority driver, they have to force them before you.

If I am being forced, I force them to set up the meet via the Diad. I make it as difficult and irritating for them as it is irritating for me.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
True because I've seen guys with 25+ years of seniority get sent back out after they've returned. Only during peak though, I wasn't aware they can still send you back out. What about if you punch out are they still able to?
I don't talk to management or hang around the hub off the clock, so I don't have these problems.

averageguy

its great when that green light comes on after you get back to building. You don't have to go back out.

Yeah one guy figured out how to ignore the message and deliver at the same time, something about restarting the DIAD and going into pickups and deferring the message. Only this bug defers it infinitely instead of it popping back up after you've completed the stop/pick-up. It's definitely a neat trick, wouldn't make it a habit though.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When I get the 'green light of death' asking me to help another, I usually respond with 'no.' If I am asked again, I reply, "Only if I am being forced."

If I am being forced, I force them to set up the meet via the Diad. I make it as difficult and irritating for them as it is irritating for me.
This is a very respectful way to let them know your displeasure is going to make thier request very difficult.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

This. There is a MASSIVE difference between "Can you help xxx..." and "You will help xxx..."

It's important to know the difference between being asked and being told.