Need you to take -- stops off 'so and so' ...

barnyard

KTM rider
It's important to know the difference between being asked and being told.

I know the difference.

It is very, very, very rare that I have been TOLD to help. Most of the time it is a request. Most of the time, the answer is, 'no.' I will usually help with pick ups that are unusually heavy, but that is because I can usually manage to take a break at a good coffee shop. blah, blah, blah.

My understanding, according to the almost ratified contract, extra board drivers can only file 9.5 grievances if they are on a route where the route holder is on the 9.5 list. Even though I am told I cannot grieve it, I sign the list.

Marne Vet

This used to happen at my center years ago until they just gave-up on 9.5's and started over-dispatching everyone while cutting tons of trips. Do what I used to do. If they send you a message to help, reply with "OK, but not making the cut (9.5)" Use your phone to take a picture of the message since there are snake center manager's that will "lose" them. If they try to discipline you show them the message. They forced the 9.5 so don't back down to their ridiculous threats of discipline. It's BS, and they know it. Also, that green light comes on and you don't have any more stops, don't touch that freaking DIAD until you're back to the building. If they send you back out take your time like you're a turtle, and bone them hard on the time. Get paid and send them the message that they're the ones eating it. Not you.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
To the OP lets go back to your first post:am i correct in reading drivers that were Over Allowed got Warning Letters? That would be SLAM DUNK grievance. Management knows better than to trey that crap in our building.
The reason you are being sent back out is because you are the Low Man on the Totem Pole. we all paid our dues,you are paying them now

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Full time permanent cover can get on the 9.5 list. When new contract passes it will be harder for cover guys to get on the list.

That's not true. In fact, whenever the new contract goes into effect, anyone who has been a full time driver for more than 4 years can file and get on the 9.5 list no different than anyone who has their own bid route.

Which is why I'm waiting for it.

WorknLateHuh

It never fails that I get that green light of bad vibes.

i call it the "green easy money/overtime indicator light". cha ching. You want me to drive 2 towns over and then back again to attempt a business that's closed? fine by me. See you at 9:00pm with an added 10 minutes to fill an empty gas tank from driving all over the map... no problem.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Let me get this straight, if you are over 9.5 it is now the driver's fault because he is over dispatched? Last I knew we didn't dispatch our loads.

averageguy

To the OP lets go back to your first post:am i correct in reading drivers that were Over Allowed got Warning Letters? That would be SLAM DUNK grievance. Management knows better than to trey that crap in our building.
The reason you are being sent back out is because you are the Low Man on the Totem Pole. we all paid our dues,you are paying them now

Indeed, but of course it was easily grieved that's a no-brainer. Not even sure why they tried it.. Anyway i could care less about helping. In fact when they ask me to help I take as long as possible.. usually an hour and a half for like 20-30 stops.

However my main concern is them asking me to help and then disciplining me for not making 9.5..

averageguy

OP
Don't get done early.

6:30 is considered early around your part?

Let me get this straight, if you are over 9.5 it is now the driver's fault because he is over dispatched? Last I knew we didn't dispatch our loads.

That's what the DM was insinuating for the week that he was here, in retrospect to the high amount of over-allowed hours everyone was getting that was his whole reason for the 'no 9.5' business that only lasted a week.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I don't see the purpose of the part about your DM. The DM showed that he did his job, and the job got done. Do you really think they want drivers to hate their job? Everyone is in this together.

So at our building we had our DM come and gripe about all the drivers that weren't making 9.5 (apparently it is now a huge problem 'rolls eyes'), so warning letters and such were given out to drivers who were over-allowed that day to intimidate everyone and show that he's serious.

My favorite part was right after he was done ranting he said, and I quote "and yes I also encourage you to take lunch".. What an obvious way to cover yourself hahah..

Anyway to get to the point, I actually supported his argument because the blame was not only placed on drivers.. The dispatch (where the blame partly should belong) got the brunt of it too. Oh man, that entire week was perfect. Dispatches were awesome, never seen anything like it. Punch-outs were no later than 7 for that entire week. All drivers were working, because all routes were in. There was no 'using seniority to get the day off', or shuttle drivers as they put it.

We all worked, and we all had fair dispatches.

Fast forward to the subsequent week, 9.5's everywhere.. People going out with loads that they can't even fit into their car so instead some full time drivers work as shuttle drivers to shuttle the packages to them (which frankly makes absolutely no earthly sense to me whatsoever, because if they're working anyway why not split the garbage dump truck routes into two and run a smoother day for all parties - customers included)..

And yes these shuttle drivers still work until about 5.. getting misloads and such and goofing off. That was a problem too and had been addressed by a previous center manager who is now transferred.

My problem with all of this, is the consequences. Because of all that was stated, once I'm done which is usually around 6:30pm.. It never fails that I get that green light of bad vibes, that makes my stomach turn upside down because I'm literally one stop from going home which gets my mind set on my wife's cooking and what not (newly wed here).

So now I have to go help someone.. but wait, I also now have to make sure I make 9.5? To hell with that.

So now I make my cutoff to help at 6, which lets be honest.. When was the last time you were done that early. If it is after 6pm and I get a green lighter I now refuse to help people. My question is that if they decide to discipline you for refusing to follow instructions will saying "well I had to make 9.5 hold up"?

Are we allowed to even refuse to help another driver regardless of circumstances..? Not that I mind helping, but just not every single day sometimes it wears a guy down.
No

averageguy

I don't see the purpose of the part about your DM. The DM showed that he did his job, and the job got done. Do you really think they want drivers to hate their job? Everyone is in this together.

Just to provide a little back story is all. Plus it only lasted a week like I stated, if even that.

Honestly? Yes.

Well we are in a pretty dense city area so for us, something like 60 stops is nothing at all just to give you an idea. You can literally knock of like 10 stops from one parked position in some areas.

There are a handful of drivers that are done and back to the building at around 4:30 on a regular also. There are literally so many 'stop for stop' high rise apartments in such a condensed space that peoples stop counts shoot way up insanely fast.

Indecisi0n

Just to provide a little back story is all. Plus it only lasted a week like I stated, if even that.

Well we are in a pretty dense city area so for us, something like 60 stops is nothing at all just to give you an idea. You can literally knock of like 10 stops from one parked position in some areas.

There are a handful of drivers that are done and back to the building at around 4:30 on a regular also. There are literally so many 'stop for stop' high rise apartments in such a condensed space that peoples stop counts shoot way up insanely fast.

I worked 56 hrs last week. That's normal. No I do not volunteer to help and file 9.5's every week. I don't want the overtime.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It never fails that I get that green light of bad vibes, that makes my stomach turn upside down because I'm literally one stop from going home which gets my mind set on my wife's cooking and what not (newly wed here).

If you are confident.... that your relationship is secure....

Are you opposed to making money ??

-Bug-