Need you to take -- stops off 'so and so' ...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If it's the same driver over and over maybe you could try and bring it up to him. Let him know that by him milkin it is affecting you not just management. You have a wife at home he is a nice guy but you'd rather spend time around her. You work hard to get home to her plain and simple we've mostly been there also. We are in a manual labor job pick up the pace or sign the list. Maybe even in front of other drivers (nicely though no reason to be the floater that no one likes). This is UPS not a dairy farm milkers step it up. That's just in my opinion
I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it's been answered. How does anyone know he's a slacker?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
So at our building we had our DM come and gripe about all the drivers that weren't making 9.5 (apparently it is now a huge problem 'rolls eyes'), so warning letters and such were given out to drivers who were over-allowed that day to intimidate everyone and show that he's serious.

My favorite part was right after he was done ranting he said, and I quote "and yes I also encourage you to take lunch".. What an obvious way to cover yourself hahah..

Anyway to get to the point, I actually supported his argument because the blame was not only placed on drivers.. The dispatch (where the blame partly should belong) got the brunt of it too. Oh man, that entire week was perfect. Dispatches were awesome, never seen anything like it. Punch-outs were no later than 7 for that entire week. All drivers were working, because all routes were in. There was no 'using seniority to get the day off', or shuttle drivers as they put it.

We all worked, and we all had fair dispatches.

Fast forward to the subsequent week, 9.5's everywhere.. People going out with loads that they can't even fit into their car so instead some full time drivers work as shuttle drivers to shuttle the packages to them (which frankly makes absolutely no earthly sense to me whatsoever, because if they're working anyway why not split the garbage dump truck routes into two and run a smoother day for all parties - customers included)..

And yes these shuttle drivers still work until about 5.. getting misloads and such and goofing off. That was a problem too and had been addressed by a previous center manager who is now transferred.

My problem with all of this, is the consequences. Because of all that was stated, once I'm done which is usually around 6:30pm.. It never fails that I get that green light of bad vibes, that makes my stomach turn upside down because I'm literally one stop from going home which gets my mind set on my wife's cooking and what not (newly wed here).

So now I have to go help someone.. but wait, I also now have to make sure I make 9.5? To hell with that.

So now I make my cutoff to help at 6, which lets be honest.. When was the last time you were done that early. If it is after 6pm and I get a green lighter I now refuse to help people. My question is that if they decide to discipline you for refusing to follow instructions will saying "well I had to make 9.5 hold up"?

Are we allowed to even refuse to help another driver regardless of circumstances..? Not that I mind helping, but just not every single day sometimes it wears a guy down.
They cant give you a warning letter for being over 9.5

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True because I've seen guys with 25+ years of seniority get sent back out after they've returned. Only during peak though, I wasn't aware they can still send you back out. What about if you punch out are they still able to?

Yes---they can punch your board back in or give you a new DIAD.

Their better not be a lower senior driver come in with me.

This is the only thing that may save you from having to go back out.

Keep in mind that this is normally limited to Peak.

Cementups

Box Monkey
What do you get in your region? We are allowed to bring it back where I'm at in the central.

I checked on this this morning when I got in but it's in the national agreement. I can't remember what article right now. If an employee is not honored his approved 8 hour request than he can grieve for 2 hours penalty pay.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Easy solution- cut everyone to eight hours. If there was a green light at the building it would be lighting up from people asking for the overtime. Everyone says they don't want overtime. Right up until it is taken from them.

boxhandler

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it's been answered. How does anyone know he's a slacker?
Have you ever heard the statement. Listen to the directions before asking questions? Yes it was said it is the same guy he keeps having to help and he won't sign the 9.5 to get a decent day. Meaning the guy wants to stay out and he needs the stops over 9.5 dispatch to Warrant his slacking. We all have one in our center.

Back first

That's not true. In fact, whenever the new contract goes into effect, anyone who has been a full time driver for more than 4 years can file and get on the 9.5 list no different than anyone who has their own bid route.

Which is why I'm waiting for it.
My understanding is cover drivers need to be on the same route 4 days in a row before they can file. Why the union negotiated this when UPS will move you on the 5th day.

Back first

I worked 56 hrs last week. That's normal. No I do not volunteer to help and file 9.5's every week. I don't want the overtime.
Is this counting your lunch? I only work this many hours during peak. I am on the 95 list. And filed a few months ago for violating the contract. Just. Received a check for. $130.00 nice spending money.

tacken

If it's the same driver over and over maybe you could try and bring it up to him. Let him know that by him milkin it is affecting you not just management. You have a wife at home he is a nice guy but you'd rather spend time around her. You work hard to get home to her plain and simple we've mostly been there also. We are in a manual labor job pick up the pace or sign the list. Maybe even in front of other drivers (nicely though no reason to be the floater that no one likes). This is UPS not a dairy farm milkers step it up. That's just in my opinion

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My understanding is cover drivers need to be on the same route 4 days in a row before they can file. Why the union negotiated this when UPS will move you on the 5th day.

Not under the new contract. I was talking with our Steward just last night as we were walking out. Any full time driver with (I believe) 4 years of driving can get on the 9.5 list.

I can't wait, give me less OT, or give me more grievance money