Needed a day off for a funeral.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Called in one day the first week of January 2013. When I returned the next day I got my verbal warning for missing 7 days in 7 months. The reason my center manager said 7 months instead of 9, is because he would've had to include the month my wife passed away.

center manager, "You've been missing a lot of time lately. You've missed 7 days in 7 months".

Me, "Umm, my wife died 9 months ago".

center manager, "Do you think you can improve on that"?

Me, "Sure, I'm doing much better now".

​I used to care about UPS...
JERKS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I missed a week when she passed away. It was my choice to come back then. On a side note: My center manager at that time never said a word to me about my wife when I returned to work.
Sometimes I think people are genuinely trying to not upset you, and don't want to bring up the hurt, when in reality, I know you hurt every minute of every day after something like that kind of an event in your life. Well I don't know, can only imagine how hard it was.
I saw the true colours when I came back after my husbands heart attack. "We need you to concentrate on your job now, and not your husband" was the kind words said to me. That's like the 2nd time I convinced myself that it was no longer a family friendly place, it was just a job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Called in one day the first week of January 2013. When I returned the next day I got my verbal warning for missing 7 days in 7 months. The reason my center manager said 7 months instead of 9, is because he would've had to include the month my wife passed away.

center manager, "You've been missing a lot of time lately. You've missed 7 days in 7 months".

Me, "Umm, my wife died 9 months ago".

center manager, "Do you think you can improve on that"?

Me, "Sure, I'm doing much better now".

​I used to care about UPS...

The sad truth about UPS is that eventually they find a way to turn every employee who cares into one who don't. I bet you could count on one hand the number of retired UPS'ers who actually still respected UPS during their final years of employment. Even if this idiot was forced to appologize he wouldn't be sincere about it--he would only be doing it because someone higher up was pulling his strings. Paybacks are hell always worked for me in situations like this.

AKCoverMan

Told my OCS as timely as I could, and he said it was fine. Asked if he needed proof, and he said no, it was fine. Wasn't direct family, so I won't get paid, it was my aunt. My question is then is this treated as an occurrence? Like say a month from now, if I get sick, am I going to catch grief because I basically had a call in four weeks ago?

You might "catch grief" but only the kind that if you work at this job more than six months you just have to learn to let roll off your back.

Is it going to prevent you from working? No. Is it ever going to effect your pay, or your benefits? No.

We had a guy who no/show no/called nearly every Friday for like a year or more. He lead the league in warning letters and I think was fired two or three times before he actually did not get to work any more.

I went thru a period where I had a high number of call ins for different family issues.. son in hospital then my Mom etc. so at some point I had to call in sick once for myself and next day I got to sign a 6135 for attendance.

But I still had a PC full of packages waiting for me. And a check on Friday. No worries..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

​Not in my center. We can opt not to be payed even if we have days left.

I have an issue with this----IMO you should have to use all of your days before being allowed to take "dead days". I have lost count of how many days off I have had denied because someone who had taken dead days had scheduled a paid day off on the same day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Get on intermittent FMLA.
They will hate it.

​I was for two years while the wife was battling cancer. I'm glad to be off it now and to have my vacations back.

I understand, but you don't have to use it.
In light of your recent conversation, it would be the next logical countermeasure.
Either way, it was obviously a conversation in bad taste and will likely amount to nothing.
Good to see you back.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm done asking off 8 days in advance for an optional holiday or a single vacation day. Over the last two years, I have requested off 14 different days and have only been approved for two of them. Denied due to insufficient staffing. They have conditioned me to just call in on the days that I need off.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have an issue with this----IMO you should have to use all of your days before being allowed to take "dead days". I have lost count of how many days off I have had denied because someone who had taken dead days had scheduled a paid day off on the same day.

Depends on the mgmnt team at the time. This team allows it. I too have been burned by the dead day guys. I'm a couple of years away from being one of those guys that is off all the time.

hdkappler

You should call your steward when this happens. If he is worth half a grain of salt he can nip this in the bud and get an apology the next day. Inform your steward I bet he would be pissed as friend¥(k. I know I am.
tell your steward ba and together tell your center manager you want an apolgy. inever filed a grievence in 30 years.(if my wife would of died he said that to me I would of smeared his name all over brown café.have drivers write into him and say that was uncalled for.i think I would walk up to him and tell him or her and say I hate your guts.turn around walk away.but don't get violent.report this to union hall plus tdu.there are people who would love to play this up.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No excuse for your center manager's behavior.
More than likely, your center manager has this attitude because that is the way he is treated ... probably worse.

I remember comparing UPS to Delta a few years back.
Delta started not taking care of their people.
It showed in their employees' attitudes and why I have no loyalty to Delta anymore (Million Miler).

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....I remember comparing UPS to Delta a few years back.
Delta started not taking care of their people.
It showed in their employees' attitudes and why I have no loyalty to Delta anymore (Million Miler).

Which doesn't bode well for the future of UPS.

raceanoncr

Over the last two years, I have requested off 14 different days and have only been approved for two of them. Denied due to insufficient staffing. They have conditioned me to just call in on the days that I need off.

Won grievance on this very issue yrs ago. Put in for option day, denied for no other reason than "insufficient staffing".

Won on grounds that it's not MY problem. YOUR problem. Cannot deny.