Nervous! Minor scratch on truck!

Hi folks! I just got a job with UPS, and I was driving a truck. I believe someone may have backed up into the front bumper of the truck. I am nervous that I will be dismiss from the job. What is the process... Do you think there will be a full investigation on this incident because it wasn't my fault?

Nervous Driver.

The trucks I have been on have all manners of scratches, dings, dents, and shattered fiberglass stuff(??), I do not think a scratch is dismissal worthy.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Depends on a lot. Still on probation? Reported it right away? How are you regarded by your management team? I saw a new-hire demolish a rear camera on his 29th day. Still has a job. Not too terribly long ago, a seasoned driver was hit while parked, not even in the truck, charged as avoidable though he was parked as instructed. This stage of it is out of your control, chill as much as you can. The union is your friend, so file if they mess with you.

browniehound

I would just show it to your sup. and tell him you don't know how it got there to cover your but. If you truly don't know what happen don't tell them someone may have backed into you. For all you know it could have happened on the pre-load or the guy who does the car line-up. I have new scratches and dings on my truck every morning that were not there when I left the night before. It should not be that big of a deal...

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
[-]Depends on a lot. Still on probation? Reported it right away? How are you regarded by your management team? I saw a new-hire demolish a rear camera on his 29th day. Still has a job. Not too terribly long ago, a seasoned driver was hit while parked, not even in the truck, charged as avoidable though he was parked as instructed. This stage of it is out of your control, chill as much as you can. The union is your friend, so file if they mess with you.
[/-]

I would just show it to your sup. and tell him you don't know how it got there to cover your but. If you truly don't know what happen don't tell them someone may have backed into you. For all you know it could have happened on the pre-load or the guy who does the car line-up. I have new scratches and dings on my truck every morning that were not there when I left the night before. It should not be that big of a deal...

What browniehound said.

over9five

Staff member

x2 what Browniehound said.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Depends on a lot. Still on probation? Reported it right away? How are you regarded by your management team? I saw a new-hire demolish a rear camera on his 29th day. Still has a job. Not too terribly long ago, a seasoned driver was hit while parked, not even in the truck, charged as avoidable though he was parked as instructed. This stage of it is out of your control, chill as much as you can. The union is your friend, so file if they mess with you.

Exactly what happened to me earlier this year. Hit while parked making a delivery, legally and curbed and flashers, talked to the guy who backed into me moments before, still charged with an avoidable .

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Exactly what happened to me earlier this year. Hit while parked making a delivery, legally and curbed and flashers, talked to the guy who backed into me moments before, still charged with an avoidable .

We've pretty much decided around here that if a plane falls outta the sky and smashes the truck it's our fault. Depending, of course, on who your buds in management are.

JonFrum

Count the number of scratches, dents, and dings on the car and then say to your Supervisor something like, "There appears to be a twenty-forth scratch on my car. Should I ask the shop to do a general paint touch-up on the car?"

Your Supervisor will probably reply, "Yeah, wouldn't hurt to ask on the DVIR. And while you're at it, ask the Shop to touch-up all the other cars as well."

TheDick

Count the number of scratches, dents, and dings on the car and then say to your Supervisor something like, "There appears to be a twenty-forth scratch on my car. Should I ask the shop to do a general paint touch-up on the car?"

Your Supervisor will probably reply, "Yeah, wouldn't hurt to ask on the DVIR. And while you're at it, ask the Shop to touch-up all the other cars as well."

Yeah, carwasher evening PT'ers parking cars, who knows. I busted a mirror awhile back."I broke it while adjusting it"

:cheer_up:

ups1990

Cars are being parked closer and closer as hubs try to consolidate areas and scratches and minor dings, especially to the from bumpers are now very common.With peak underway, cars are being added and again, scrapes to the brown paint will occur. With all this said, keep a mental note of your trucks outside imperfections, just in case someone does hit you will parked. I glance at the sides of my truck from time to time during the day just for this reason.

I scratched a truck and was fired on the spot even though I was well liked and had top stops per hour. I was approached for a promotion before as well. Just depends on the needs of your depot and your super’s opinion I guess