Nervous?

stringerman85

The so called recession isn't going here in my area. As a matter of fact....this district has hired quite a few additional drivers lately. Including myself. Our volume has gone up so much during the past 5 years.

I know you've made a point quite a few times that you believe there is NO recession taking place, But to argue your statement, Just because your center or other centers have hired a number of employees over the last couple years does not mean the economy has went sky high.....Our large facility has hired a number of drivers as well but there are many reasons for that happening, Of course I don't know the circumstances or your hub center...But where I work, Yes there's been quite of few drivers in the last 5 years hired on.....Number 1, Because we are in a period where MANY drivers from the 70's and 80's are hitting retirement...Number 2, There are many areas around (St. Louis) that are still expanding, (Lots of empty fields and wildlife areas, Farm lands, have sold their land for millions of dollars to create more commercial/residential expansions.....Of course in that case, It created more "driving jobs" ...But regardless of all that, UPS may not have the hugest affect of the recession "volume wise" yet, But gas prices for UPS are probably through the roof, And I'm sure p/u stops and volume are down in many areas due to the economy... There is NO way that you can believe UPS has made as much of a profit this year as any other year in the past....NO company I can think of has brought any significant profits....You tell me what company or corporation in American right now that has brought in "more than normal" profits.....Besides maybe oil companies, And they only are because people NEED gasoline no matter what the price is.....But I truly believe we are in a recession or are getting very close to one....It's easy for you to sit there and say we are NOT in recession because YOU have a job...You are not part of the 280,000 people who are currently unemployed this year since January 1st....1st quarter numbers have already proven that we are in a downward slope, And already as expected the second quarter numbers are looking worse.......

Thats all..

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I believe we are in a recession. All the years that I've been saving, have a small mortgage, no car payments, no credit card bills are finally paying off. I am recession proof. Save for a rainy day isn't just a saying.

25yrvet

I believe we are in a recession. All the years that I've been saving, have a small mortgage, no car payments, no credit card bills are finally paying off. I am recession proof. Save for a rainy day isn't just a saying.

You got it !!
Don't live beyond your means, encourage others in your family to get an education, and go to work everyday.

stringerman85

Well, I was wrong the unemployment claims were up to 411,000 until this week, They finally dropped just a tad.....Looks like UPS will be fine for awhile, Online sales are apparently 17 percent...And with DHL calling it quits in the USA here pretty shortly, That will bring volume up a little bit more....I feel sorry for anyone who is laid off in all other companies, Even at UPS...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Word on the street (on topic) that New England Local 25 22.3's are being laid off. (Norwood, MA to be precise)

Is it legit to lay off 22.3s for extended periods? How is the # of combo jobs maintained if this is the case? Layoffs don't count?:sick:

Can someone explain this to me?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

BM, you are correct, a good position to be in.

Problem is when you couple what we are seeing now with the value of the dollar. As it falls, your investments are worth less and less. So is your home and other belongings. That is what makes it hard to survive a financial storm like this.

But you have positioned yourself better than most.

d

Northwest Washinton. House prices stable. Big companies adding jobs. A lot of Canadian money coming in to fuel the regional economy. Destination area for retirees from around the nation.

Rod

My old house I sold 4/2006 in Federal Way for $365,000 just sold again for 339,000.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You can not base the economy on one house sale.

Take the house nearest to me.

Sold at auction for 21 grand.

Five years later sold at auction for 135 grand

Put up for sale two weeks later for 155 grand, but after two years sold at auction for 89 grand.

Three years later sold at a private sale for 211 grand. While currently not for sale, the current owner has expressed an interest to sell for around 250-275 grand to simplify their life to only one home.

Now, that has been the last 15 years on this one house. Judging by the values, what does that tell you about the economy? Or about housing values in my area?

d

UPS Lifer

I have been through a few recessions with UPS. We always have done well going in and coming out of the recession. Companies that are struggling end up cutting their delivery trucks to reduce costs very quickly. UPS gets the business.

I really don't wish this to happen but as the price of fuel goes up the small truck companies will go bankrupt and independent truckers will also have to give up. The business will go to companies like UPS that can put a surcharge on fuel and keep on truckin!

None of us should wish this to happen. I actually hope that the independent truckers get through to Washington and put some pressure on them to get this foreign oil dependence changed!

Let's hope for the best!