Never trust a dog

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
That's kind of an oxymoron and here's why:

We've all seen them on our routes. They bark and growl and shake their tails while we do the delivery and normally stop as we take off.

Yesterday while working, I pull up to a stop and notice a lady with a dog on a leash to my left. The dog is barking, jumping, and trying to get away. I think to myself as I pull the bulkhead closed "I'm boned if this dog gets away from the owner". I three-point myself off the car and quickly walk to the house on the right. While walking back I notice the dog is going crazy. I figured the lady had control so I start the car and head off like I normally would, but as I'm hitting around 15mph this dog finally breaks free and runs directly in front me! SLAMMING the breaks as the dog disappears in sight I feared the worst. I begin to cry and shake and I shout out "is the dog okay!".

To shorten this story and get to the oxymoron, the dog was perfectly fine and all it wanted to do was lick me to death. I did close the doors for my own safety, but I wanted to make sure this pooch was okay.

I cautiously handed it a treat out the window of the driver side door and when I knew it was safe I opened the door, got out and the pooch just licked my face. Thank God I have wipes in my tote.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
The mentality of the country folk is to leave their dogs unattended and unleashed, even when they're not home. One of these days I will accidentally hit one.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Giving the dogs treats is what makes them run in front of your package car...
Not true.

Giving dogs treats is what makes them run up to the passenger side door.

Treats also turn mean dogs that bite into nice dogs that lick.

Want a dog to quit running circles around the truck and into your blind spots? Throw a cookie into the bushes or away from the truck to distract the dog while you make your getaway.

Treats are a tool to make the job safer.

watdaflock?

I'm also imagining a sign on the side of your truck that says "Ask me where I hang my human treats!"
Free-Candy-Van.jpg

Overpaid Union Thug

Not true.

Giving dogs treats is what makes them run up to the passenger side door.

Treats also turn mean dogs that bite into nice dogs that lick.

Want a dog to quit running circles around the truck and into your blind spots? Throw a cookie into the bushes or away from the truck to distract the dog while you make your getaway.

Treats are a tool to make the job safer.
That is true for that particular driver and only after conditioning those particular dogs to behave that way. When a different driver (including other carriers) shows up and doesn't do exactly what you do the dog(s) get out of their routine. They typically start behaving like beggars and will often circle the truck in desperation. In other words.....behaving like the spoiled little entitlement minded dogs that they have become.

I saw this pattern allot when I was still unassigned. And often do now when my bid route is pushed farther out. The customer will always say (after they've had to subdue their dog from running under and around the truck) "My normal driver always gives him/her treats." I then watch them struggle to continue to keep the dog(s) from jumping into the truck or run under it as I'm pulling away.

The treats should only be used to tame viscous dogs. Not every barking dog on the route. Now I just do my own test (per se) to determine whether or not they will bite me. I prefer returning the package to the clerk if they fail the test. And I refuse to spend another dime of my own money to feed other people's annoying dogs.

DriverNerd

I've had one owner say their dog is sweet and nice and while holding it behind them, I hand them the package and their dog bit me from the little opening it had. Owners were "he's never done that". I never would have delivered it to them if they hadn't pinned the dog behind them in the first place. That was the second time I was bit. The first was my fault for coming up to an unknown dog not leashed. I learned that one the hard way. I'm cautious every time now; for every* dog.

*the one exception was when I came up to a house and didn't know they had a dog. Came around the corner, saw her, and she immediately rolled onto her back. A quick belly rub, dropped the package, and left. Ok, that dog I pet every time I deliver, but no others.

vvv

I've had one owner say their dog is sweet and nice and while holding it behind them, I hand them the package and their dog bit me from the little opening it had. Owners were "he's never done that". I never would have delivered it to them if they hadn't pinned the dog behind them in the first place. That was the second time I was bit. The first was my fault for coming up to an unknown dog not leashed. I learned that one the hard way. I'm cautious every time now; for every* dog.

*the one exception was when I came up to a house and didn't know they had a dog. Came around the corner, saw her, and she immediately rolled onto her back. A quick belly rub, dropped the package, and left. Ok, that dog I pet every time I deliver, but no others.
Take no chances my friend.

over9five

Staff member
Dogs being dogs is what makes them run in front of your package car. The treat is only an accessory.
If you give the dogs treats, you have trained them to associate a package car with food.
Probably not a big problem for the driver who does the route every day, because he knows what hedge the dog is going to run out from. But when a cover driver comes along, or someone delivering a misload, they are not going to know this. Squished dog.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm at least a double ace on running over dogs, I think twelve over a 33-year span. Thankfully its been six or seven years since the last one. The local leash laws seemed to have made a difference finally, there is not as many running loose these days.

I had one attack me Friday night about eight. He ran up behind me in the dark without a warning. Big dog, it bit into the top of my shoe and missed my flesh.