Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public...

I once had a receiving clerk at a large company tell me she would not accept a package I had for delivery. No problem, EXCEPT the package was a return. This company had shipped it and the consignee refused it.

I attempted to explain to her that the package belonged to them. They shipped it and it was refused. We cannot force the consignee to accept the package, and if refused, it is returned.

She replied, "If you can't force these people (pointing at label) to accept the package, then you can't make me to accept it either."

It took a long, oversimplified explanation of how the shipping industry works and a call to her supervisor before she would sign.

There are companies out there that won't accecpt any returns without an RA # (Cutter and Buck is one I can think of) If they refuse a refused pkg. I just give it to the clerk at night. Where they go after that, I don't know. Probably overgoods:thumbup1:

If you know there's another thread, why the hell don't you just post this in that thread, rather than starting yet another one of these threads that will just clutter up the forum!?:mad::mad::mad:

and these threads are ridiculous. you do a job that gets repetitious, and you'll often times deliver to people that don't get deliveries every day, so of course there's confusion on their end and of course that confusion will compound itself to annoy people that get worked up easily.

US customs officers probably start the same kind of threads about how the people they process didn't check the check-boxes or didn't stand behind the red line, as if it'll make some kind of difference in anyone's lives.

get over it, improve your attitude and communication skills, and maybe this kind of thing won't be bothering you on your spare time. these "morons" that ask you 'stupid' questions are well intentioned and they're the reason you have a job. if you don't like it, go work inside the hub. there you will learn what a maroon really is.

(if i have a choice, give me the ridiculous questions, no boss on my back, the fresh air, and the uniform over the moronic co-workers, dusty warehouse, redundant physical labor, and ripping my own clothes any time)

First off, learn to read ok? I said that browniehound touched on this topic in the air conditioning thread and rather than derail that thread I opted to make a new one that would be about this specific topic. If you don't like it, don't read it - there's your "choice". Maybe you should go start your own about your "moronic co-workers". Or maybe you shouldn't. I'd hate for you to create any more "clutter".

Second, well intentioned or not, it doesn't make most of the questions any less idiotic. Apparently you work inside so until you've walked a mile in our shoes do not lecture me on how lucky I am to have the job I do. I never complained about my job in the post, only some of the ridiculous questions I'm asked on a daily basis. I started the thread so that other drivers who have shared the same experiences (and quite clearly the exact same questions), would be able to vent or even laugh at something that is clearly a common theme for us.

Third, my attitude and communication skills are pretty good if I must say so myself. All of my regular customers love me. I know this not because they tell me, but because they tell the swing drivers that cover my route when I'm off. I've been told by more than one that by the end of the week they're tired of people asking them when I'm coming back. ( Maybe THEY should work on THEIR skills, huh? I'll mention to them that you suggested it....:wink:)

Fourth, you sound just like one of the morons we're complaining about. No boss on our backs and fresh air. Yeah you caught us, we've got it made. They just turn us loose and never bother us at all... :laugh::laugh::laugh: And fresh air too! Boy am I lucky to have a job outside!!! I hear that all day long on the 5 or 6 really beautiful days a year that we have. Funny how none of those people want to trade jobs with me when it's -20... or snowing... or 95 with 90% humidity.... or when it raining....

aspenleaf

I am not implying that UPS driver would ever do anything so stupid but sometimes the “general public” has had enough with incompetence. For example I have a package that I can’t receive. It is locked in the mail box. The key that was left for me to retrieve my package was in the shape of an “L” and broken (so that even if it were straight the crack would prevent it from being useful). I went to my local post office and demanded (this was after the clerk told me I might get my package tomorrow depending on a few things) to speak to a supervisor. After a lot of yelling about the stupid stuff my postal carrier does and seeing that I was getting nowhere I told the woman that maybe someone would pick the lock. Now that was a stupid thing to say and as I stormed off she yelled that she would be reporting me. I said “go ahead!” Now to the folks standing in line I probably looked like a lunatic going nuts over a package. However I have put up with a lot of crap from my postal carrier for years and today was the last straw. So before you judge the general public as being stupid think about what may have caused their actions.

I still don’t have my package and unless I sit at home and wait (or stalk) for the postal carrier I won’t get my package. She refuses to attempt to deliver to my house. She leaves the “sorry we missed you” note in my mail box (one of those community ones across the street) and never comes to my house. I love when she is on vacation or out sick because the guy who covers for her is great. He knows that his job is to deliver the mail and he does just that with no issues.

Now my UPS guy is great and he knows all the great places to DR my stuff and he even says hi to my daughter who thinks he walks on water (if he could sell ice cream she would follow his truck around each day). I think my husband said something you might consider stupid. He mentioned that I also worked for UPS and the driver said “well it’s a big place.” I am not sure if he was trying to bond with our UPS guy or what but he felt stupid for the rest of the day. I don’t think the driver thought anything of it as he had tons more stops to make.

Also keep in mind that people just might be trying to make small talk with you. It does not mean they are stupid. They might be joking with you and you just didn’t get the joke.

upsgrunt

There are companies out there that won't accecpt any returns without an RA # (Cutter and Buck is one I can think of) If they refuse a refused pkg. I just give it to the clerk at night. Where they go after that, I don't know. Probably overgoods:thumbup1:

Even without an RA number the shipper still cannot refuse a refusal can they? I mean if it was refused it should have been unopened from consignee. Overgoods would be especially more full than normal if shippers were allowed to not accept refusals.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
He mentioned that I also worked for UPS and the driver said “well it’s a big place.”

another one of my favorites......"Do you know ____________? He works for UPS" If it's my center, maybe. If not, there are 380,000 employees. So probably not.

Even without an RA number the shipper still cannot refuse a refusal can they? I mean if it was refused it should have been unopened from consignee. Overgoods would be especially more full than normal if shippers were allowed to not accept refusals.

I think the pkg. went back to consignee with "need an ra#" written on it. Consignee still needed an ra # opened or not.:laugh:

aspenleaf

another one of my favorites......"Do you know ____________? He works for UPS" If it's my center, maybe. If not, there are 380,000 employees. So probably not.

LOL ~ how true. My husband used to ask me each time we passed by a UPS driver if I knew them. Finally I just pretended to know every one and I would make up names and wave to them. "Hey Bill, how ya doing?" Or "Jane, see ya tomorrow!" I would sometimes get strange looks from the drivers. I did tell my husband that I was just joking (after a few weeks) Then one day I ran into one I did know (he was my supervisors son).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had one today, a shipper release, sling it on the porch kinda stop, but OH NO. She catches me and in broken english, "you da one brung me the box da otter day" AH yes, that was me, I reply, left it by the side door. "you bringd me da rong stuff, dis not wat I orded, You need to go back and get me the rite stuff" It was LTD and she continued on bringing her catalog as evidence that I screwed up da orda. I tried to explain in the best way I could that I could not fix her order, I only deliver it, as she proceded to pull out da wron stuff, to prove her point. I told her to call LTd, and the 1800 number and they could help her, I had to go.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Second, well intentioned or not, it doesn't make most of the questions any less idiotic. Apparently you work inside so until you've walked a mile in our shoes do not lecture me on how lucky I am to have the job I do. I never complained about my job in the post, only some of the ridiculous questions I'm asked on a daily basis. I started the thread so that other drivers who have shared the same experiences (and quite clearly the exact same questions), would be able to vent or even laugh at something that is clearly a common theme for us.
gee thanks for being such a great resource. :rolleyes:

you don't really address the fact that you're calling your customers "morons".

I worked as a courier for FX for 9 months and I work as a driver for UPS in the summer. I would rather do that backbreaking labor for 10 hours than be inside in the hub for 3 hours. And yes I get those same questions, but I really don't care, because they're not complaining or giving me a hard time. I've got bigger fish to fry than someone who hasn't received a courier delivery in god-knows-when.

Curious if you've worked in the dusty filthy hub to see it in "our shoes".

QueenBee

The Cupcake Lady
Me: Hello, I am a UPS Clerk and I would like to verify your address

Other: Why, are you coming over?

Me: I am not coming over. I just want to make sure that UPS is sending your package to your correct address.

Other: I like your voice. You sound hot! Do you deliver packages?

Me: No, but could you verify your address?

Other: Sure. (He gives me the address) Keep my phone number and call me sometime. How far do you live from my house?

Me: Have a great UPS day, Sir! Goodbye!

gee thanks for being such a great resource. :rolleyes:

you don't really address the fact that you're calling your customers "morons".

I worked as a courier for FX for 9 months and I work as a driver for UPS in the summer. I would rather do that backbreaking labor for 10 hours than be inside in the hub for 3 hours. And yes I get those same questions, but I really don't care, because they're not complaining or giving me a hard time. I've got bigger fish to fry than someone who hasn't received a courier delivery in god-knows-when.

Curious if you've worked in the dusty filthy hub to see it in "our shoes".

As a matter of fact I worked inside for 8 years. I've walked more than a mile in your shoes. And it's interesting that you're bent out of shape that I called a customer a maroon yet you tag your co-workers with the same description. I already described what this thread was about, if you don't like it, quit reading it. I'm also done arguing with you. If you feel the need to get in the last word, knock yourself out. I'll demonstrate how to selectively ignore things that don't interest you.... :wink:

Me: Hello, I am a UPS Clerk and I would like to verify your address

Other: Why, are you coming over?

Me: I am not coming over. I just want to make sure that UPS is sending your package to your correct address.

Other: I like your voice. You sound hot! Do you deliver packages?

Me: No, but could you verify your address?

Other: Sure. (He gives me the address) Keep my phone number and call me sometime. How far do you live from my house?

Me: Have a great UPS day, Sir! Goodbye!

You should try to sound uglier on the phone... :lol::lol:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Had another one today that said "wait here, while I get the pkg, you just delivered", well not wanting to be rude,well wanting to, but thinking better of it....I give her an LTD and she goes to get a JCP ripped to shreds, delivered by the Post Office. "Now did you take the blouse out of this bag and rip it like this???"
I said no this is my first and only stop here today.
That would be the other lady with a pony tail that has a little white jeep.
She says "it looks like you just ripped it open and stole my blouse, put rubber bands around it and rang my dinger and ran away".

I told her I wouldnt like the blouse, it wouldnt fit, and I would get fired for stealing her 20 dollar blouse, and I do not believe the other pony tail lady would either. Still not able to convince her, I was a totally different company.
So I had to go while she is still yelling at me, and I told her the "USPS is the government, I am UPS, not affiliated, and yes the government will steal the shirt off your back" Finally silent, I drove away.

SmithBarney

Fredly, what service has a noon commit anymore? 2day am's are 10:30 now.:confused:1

Well where I "was" with UPS NDA was noon, EAM were 10:30, 2DA AM(no commit) this was only 2 months ago, nothing has changed where I left.

Now I'm with FredEx.. ;) and this particular stop was in a 1200 commit for Priority Overnights(but she was a Standard overnight 3pm)

Same stuff though we all go through it..

Leragie

We used to get calls in the phone center from people who
thought they might be receiving a package that day and
demanded to know where the UPS driver was at that very
moment.

When we explained that we didn't have his exact location,
they said they would jump in the car and cruise the neighborhood
until they found him....:sad:

Almost every week I get a message in my diad during the the first hour of the day that ask if I have an ETA on a certain residential package. I have about 100 residentials that are all stuffed together onto one shelf and I have no idea what is there until I sort it all, which I can't do until I'm done with all my businesses. I always just ignore the message, and the center ends up giving me a call asking if I will look for it when I get the chance. I always just say "Oh yeah, no problem" I never do look for it though, but I'm not lying because I never do get the chance.

Sammie

:w00t:

My all time favorite was: Do you go ground to Hawaii? Most of the time I just said no but once in awhile I would say the road wasn't finished yet or they are still working on the tunnel.:blushing:

Why do people ask stupid questions?

"This call may be monitored for Quality Assurance."

You've heard that one a time or two when you call a company. Back to us girls in the phone center; we had half a dozen sups who would shut themselves up in little rooms all day to monitor our calls.

And after answering 300-400 of those calls every day, I refused to even pick up my own phone when I got home...:ohmy:

Some of my favorite ones, though, - The shipper who sends out an expensive COD shipment (multiple packages of course) and to save money, he puts a COD tag on only one package. So of course the customer accepts the rest of the shipment and refuses the one that's COD. And Mr. Shipper comes crying back to us...

And yes, the hundreds of people who ask if we deliver ground to Hawaii and/or Alaska. After hearing that one enough, it wears one down and the temptation becomes too great. Some of us got busted for answering it with a smart remark. At least you out on the road can get by with it!!!

People would forever call and attempt to "make an appointment with their UPS driver". They would like to see him at 8:47 a.m. tomorrow morning. Our responses on occasion - Do you "make appointments" with your mailman???:confused:1

I really have a lot of empathy for drivers who pick/up deliver to convention centers for events such as trade shows. Those are just nightmares waiting to happen. Inevitably, due to poor planning when it was shipped out, the most important thing, like the trade show booth, arrives a day too late and the poor driver faces the music when he shows up with it.

Or somebody receives their $500 airline tickets via UPS a day too late (not our fault) and they miss their flight. So they call us to get their $500 back...:bored:

90% of all shipping errors occur before the pkg is ever picked up - The 40 lb. steel part that ships out in the thinnest cardboard possible, the shipper who slaps a label on a used box that has other old shipping labels on it addressed to other places, the shipper who chooses the wrong service, or he doesn't type in the apt.#, or he forgets the COD tag, he doesn't know how to process an invoice for Intl's, .....and you all often end up taking the heat for it.

Great job, folks. You deal with way more than I would ever care to!:thumbup1:

BrownHumor

Preloader
This has never happened to me (I'm not a driver) but I have no doubt that something like this could actually happen...

***Begin Scene***

UPS driver hands package to customer

Customer: "Hey wait, what's this? There must be a mistake, I didn't order any fish."

Driver: "I'm sorry, that's C.O.D.- Cash On Delivery, not cod."

Customer: "Oh riiiiiiight. Um, can you wait here while I go get a money order?"

***End Scene***

Copyright 2007 BrownHumor Playwright Productions

browniehound

If you know there's another thread, why the hell don't you just post this in that thread, rather than starting yet another one of these threads that will just clutter up the forum!?:mad::mad::mad:

and these threads are ridiculous. you do a job that gets repetitious, and you'll often times deliver to people that don't get deliveries every day, so of course there's confusion on their end and of course that confusion will compound itself to annoy people that get worked up easily.

US customs officers probably start the same kind of threads about how the people they process didn't check the check-boxes or didn't stand behind the red line, as if it'll make some kind of difference in anyone's lives.

get over it, improve your attitude and communication skills, and maybe this kind of thing won't be bothering you on your spare time. these "morons" that ask you 'stupid' questions are well intentioned and they're the reason you have a job. if you don't like it, go work inside the hub. there you will learn what a maroon really is.

(if i have a choice, give me the ridiculous questions, no boss on my back, the fresh air, and the uniform over the moronic co-workers, dusty warehouse, redundant physical labor, and ripping my own clothes any time)

Hoser, ease up buddy. I thought we wern't supposed to resort to name-calling and personal attacks in this forum? It seems like you jumped down this guy's throat simply for starting a topic that you don't agree with.

While this topic has been covered before in this forum, I still find it interesting to hear what other drivers encounter during their day