New 11 hour limit

Driving behind the wheel per DOT regs means what it says behind the wheel. However, it it clocked by 15 minute intervals for example from 9-9:15, 9:16-9:30 etc. Whatever activity takes up the most time during that 15 minute period is the activity that gets logged. A driver that goes on break from 9-910 would log that entire 15 minute as break time even though he spends 5 minutes of that period driving to his next stop (notice that the IVIS does this for a feeder driver).

That means a package car driver who delivers 4 stops in 15 minutes (20 stops an hour) might spend more time "on duty not driving" than "driving" therefore that period would be logged as "on duty not driving" even though the driver drove for 7 minutes of the 15 minute period between stops. It is quite possible for a package car driver who has a route close to the building have a half hour of drive time and 12 hours of on duty time in a 12.5 hour day.

didyousheetit

This is not new, and for all practical purposes it only pal lies to feeder drivers. It means you can only DRIVE for 11 hours. You can be on the clock for much more than that, but the actual drive time cannot go over 11 hours, or you violate. The changes are referring to meal periods. If you work 8 hours, you are required to take 30 consecutive minutes before the 8 hours. This applies to all vehicles over 10,001 pounds, which would seem to mean package cars.
Is there someplace to see the actual law as it is written. Something tells me ups isn't telling the whole truth haha. I hadn't heard about the weight of vehicles like you stated.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Going through the whole pamphlet, there is an exception for "100 mile radius drivers". My guess is that UPS package car drivers will fall under this exception, and thus, will not be forced to take their meals before the 8th hour or 30 consecutive minutes. So even though the vehicles are over 10001 pounds and deal with interstate freight, I believe I was wrong. It appears package car drivers can continue to skip their meals.

OptimusPrime

Going through the whole pamphlet, there is an exception for "100 mile radius drivers". My guess is that UPS package car drivers will fall under this exception, and thus, will not be forced to take their meals before the 8th hour or 30 consecutive minutes. So even though the vehicles are over 10001 pounds and deal with interstate freight, I believe I was wrong. It appears package car drivers can continue to skip their meals.

​Color me interested. Did 132 miles today.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The exception has to do with what type of records you are required to have regarding your HOS. It's an "air raidius" so you take your building as the center point and radius it out from that (a circle). Anything within and you are not required to maintain a logbook (or now have an EOBR) as long as you leave & return to the same building each day etc. The EOBR's record change of duty status, i.e. On Duty Not Driving, Driving, Off Duty, Sleeper Berth; differently than what is required in Package because of the exception.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
most package cars are under 10000 pounds anyway

It's based on the manufacturer stated weight rating. If you look up any Brownside it will list as "25,500 lbs" or so to stay under the 26,001lbs that require a CDL, even though most have air brakes & are capable of carrying more weight than that. It has nothing to do with what the actual Package car weighs loaded, that's an entirely different violation.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

This is the exception that applies to Package drivers, not the short haul operations:
(2) Operators of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles not requiring a commercial driver's license.Except as provided in this paragraph, a driver is exempt from the requirements of §395.3(a)(2) and §395.8 and ineligible to use the provisions of §395.1(e)(1), (g), and (o) if:(i) The driver operates a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle for which a commercial driver's license is not required under part 383 of this subchapter;(ii) The driver operates within a 150 air-mile radius of the location where the driver reports to and is released from work, i.e., the normal work reporting location;(iii) The driver returns to the normal work reporting location at the end of each duty tour;(iv) The driver does not drive:(A) After the 14th hour after coming on duty on 5 days of any period of 7 consecutive days; and(B) After the 16th hour after coming on duty on 2 days of any period of 7 consecutive days;(v) The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing:(A) The time the driver reports for duty each day;(B) The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day;(C) The time the driver is released from duty each day;(D) The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with § 395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.

So they still have to take the rest break, but I'm sure there will be an interpretation at some point.