New 18 second rule for bulkhead door.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There's no way, I don't believe this.

This sounds so ridiculous but unfortunately it sounds like it could be true. It would work well at a dock delivery and what about sorting the load? Oh yeah, everything is perfect.

Who ever told you that is full of it. Don't believe everything you hear.......

There is one problem the telematics sensors don't work when the car is off.

That is such a ridiculous metric.
There is no way that having a bulkhead door open for 19 seconds proves anything but utter ignorance from IE geeks in Atlanta.
All it does is provide a false sense of urgency that the job already provides in a whole.
I will gladly bottom myself out on that report daily while still providing service and being a "scratch" driver.

UPS could easily say its another metric but it would just be another meaningless data point in their reports.

This is TRUE.

My package center has been on orion for two years now, and they broke out this rule in a PCM and on safety rides. Its next to impossible in the first three hours of the day when the package cars are blown out, but it gets better once the isle is clear and bulk cleared out provided you have already made your corrections to the load.

That 18 seconds goes right out the window with every misload or missing package.

Its a metric that isnt reliable or feasible given the load conditions.

Fortunately for me, Ive gone back to feeder for the year and hopefully never have to return!

These rules are making the job just that more ridiculous, having to sit in a meeting the next morning answering for spending an average of 22 seconds in the back of the car.

TOS.

ArcherUTR

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't be disciplined based on telematics. Wasn't that an issue agreed upon in our new Master? So if I have to spend 2 minutes climbing over the mess to get to an 8000 at 10am then so be it.
You can be disciplined, just not terminated based soley on telematics. They can be used along with direct observation to terminate.

That is my understanding.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You can be disciplined, just not terminated based soley on telematics. They can be used along with direct observation to terminate.

That is my understanding.

I've posted this before....

Section 6. Technology and Discipline

"No employee shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS or any successor system unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). The Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating evidence any other violations warranting discharge. The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of GPS."

ARTICLE 37

"(d) No employee shall be disciplined for exceeding personal time based on data received from the DIAD/IVIS or other information technology."

The whole purpose and intent.... of this language was to "deter" drivers from

going "off area" to do personal business, on paid company time.

Thats it.

-Bug-

HardknocksUPSer

Not saying this is exactly correct but I'm pretty sure it is, Disciplinary action also cannot be held against you no more than 9 months from the time it is issued, older disciplinary copies can be used against used in the case you have a long standing discipline problem, however your giving a verbal warning, a written warning, (1st offense)1 day suspension (2nd offense)3 day suspension and then on your 3rd offense your subject to discharge by the employer who obviously wants you gone anyway if you have that many offenses. If you get that far in 9 months McDonald's might be a good place to go.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Since we work for a company with an acronym fetish, we drivers need to come up with a few of our own.

For crap like this, I propose "JAMM-YAMMeR"....Just Another Meaningless Metric for Yet Another Meaningless Report.

Next time your supervisor wants to whine about some irrelevant Telematics BS, just look at him and smile and say "JAMM YAMMeR" and walk away. Might as well have some fun with it!

soberups

I'm going to buy stock in Hewlett Packard.

Why? Because at the current rate of ORION and Telematics expansion, it will be less than 5 years before UPS consumes the entire worlwide supply of printer ink cartridges.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have a clip holder on the the bulk head. It just so happens to be attached to a strong magnet. It's mounted just behind the sensor with the door in the open position. I wonder if that magnet is telling the sensor anything?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Soon you'll probably be seeing a new face around the office. UPS will now need to create the "Reports Sup." This well enable the center mgr to stay glued to his monitor watching the stock price tank and the on car can go back to spilling lattes in his keyboard.

UPSmechanicinblue

I have a clip holder on the the bulk head. It just so happens to be attached to a strong magnet. It's mounted just behind the sensor with the door in the open position. I wonder if that magnet is telling the sensor anything?

This would cause a red flag if worked where the door isn't being used, like a new hire I herd thought he would trick the seat belt by leaving it buckled all day and just sitting on it rather than strapping himself in with it. If you watch in telematics it shows in sequence engine off, seat belt on or off and bulk door status open or closed, vice versa when return to car.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Who ever told you that is full of it. Don't believe everything you hear.......

There is one problem the telematics sensors don't work when the car is off.

As long as the led is blinking on the control box behind the bulkhead door, which is 24/7, it's on.

nystripe96

At my center the supervisors don't ever mention the word scratch or Orion for that matter. There's a report everyday, but nothing ever gets said. I don't even look at the numbers. I just do the route the best & safest way I know how without cutting any corners

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This would cause a red flag if worked where the door isn't being used, like a new hire I herd thought he would trick the seat belt by leaving it buckled all day and just sitting on it rather than strapping himself in with it. If you watch in telematics it shows in sequence engine off, seat belt on or off and bulk door status open or closed, vice versa when return to car.
There's still a lot of morons out there. Just do the job the way you should and there will be no problems.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't be disciplined based on telematics. Wasn't that an issue agreed upon in our new Master? So if I have to spend 2 minutes climbing over the mess to get to an 8000 at 10am then so be it.
You cannot be discharged off telematics alone. Warning letters and suspensions are fair game.

soberups

At my center the supervisors don't ever mention the word scratch or Orion for that matter. There's a report everyday, but nothing ever gets said. I don't even look at the numbers. I just do the route the best & safest way I know how without cutting any corners
Somewhere deep within the bowels of UPS HQ in Atlanta, there is a pasty-faced IE geek in a cubicle who is reading your post and having an absolute hissy fit at the thought that there is a driver using area knowledge, experience and common sense to get a route done. Such concepts are blasphemy!

soberups

These rules are making the job just that more ridiculous, having to sit in a meeting the next morning answering for spending an average of 22 seconds in the back of the car.

$50 an hour on overtime to sit and drink coffee in the center manager's office while he whines about compliance metrics?

I will tap that s%$t every day and twice on Sunday.

watdaflock?

We have been on Orion for a year. A couple of weeks ago we we're told there was a new report that was going to be hot. If you have 1 package for a stop you have 18 seconds to open your bulk head door, find the package and close your bulk head door. At the end of the day the report will talley up how many times you failed at doing this. On top of this the report will show how long your bulk head door was open all day. If you are at the bottom of the list you will be talked to.
The big offenders are told that if they can't find the package within 18 seconds close the door then reopen it because this resets the clock.
If you have a bulk stop to deliver out the back, keep the bulkhead door closed. (I think this one is a safety issue if it is hot outside not having ventilation.)
Someone needs to make a movie about this job with Orion.

How many of you could actually keep a straight face and not "LOL" when you were told?