New 272xxx tractors

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Isn't part of the pretrip, especially on a new vehicle, learning about things that are unique to that vehicle, such as the step pattern? I know when I went from my older high step PC to my low step I had to rethink entering and exiting the vehicle.

Write a letter to the corporation? How would you word that? "Dear Sirs. I am writing to complain about the fact that I fell exiting your tractor because I wasn't paying attention. Driver."

Don't dis agree with u. But have to ask this. How long did it take for you to re-adjust your old habits of foot position rail postion, before you was actually used in sink with it and smooth??

It takes a little to break a habit. More then just observation.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
You want to recall a product simply because the driver did not take the time to check out the new step pattern? No wonder our world is so screwed up.
It's an empty void were step should be. not a lower or higher step. If you can easily get foot wedged in between step and another step of vehicle then I C it as flawed. My Honest opinion. Some things are petty but I feel this is different. That is if I understand the Defined problem correctly.

Why not make stair cases with a foot space between each step as well.

Maybe our package cars could have foot swallows in between the high and low step as well. Might make trucks look sporty.

There probably is not a good reason to have a space between steps and a recall on the steps would avoid an injury.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Maybe they should get rid of the steps all together and the driver can just jump! No lawsuits because the steps aren't to someone's liking, no injuries because the driver will be trained on the "tuck and roll" concept of exiting the vehicle and no complaints because it will be more fun.:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
The driver dislocated his shoulder.

There is absolutely no reason for this gap to be there. It is EXACTLY where you put your left foot climbing down.

I'm going to use a Sober quote here:

"Some idiot in a cubicle who never drove a tractor decided to make this change"

Big Babooba

Maybe they should get rid of the steps all together and the driver can just jump! No lawsuits because the steps aren't to someone's liking, no injuries because the driver will be trained on the "tuck and roll" concept of exiting the vehicle and no complaints because it will be more fun.:happy-very:
But how will the driver get into the cab? Pogo stick? Rocket belt? Springboard?

I have to go with the body mechanics being used to doing something. I go from Mack trucks to Sterlings, to Internationals, Macks have the ignition key similar to a car, on the steering column, Sterlings and Internationals have it on the lower left of the dashboard, with the Sterlings having a starter button. I'll reach for the non-existent steering column key, or try to push the non-existent starter button, or the light switches are placed differently, etc. These are all habits you get into. Unfortunately for this driver, he got injured by that habit, I haven't noticed an gap on the steps of the new tractors, (we don't have any in our building) but I'll look the next time I see one.
Hope this driver wasn't too badly.

We had a close call some time back with a driver in a strange tractor. He`s going down the road and went to make a minor steering wheel adjustment and grabbed the lever he had grabbed 100 times in his tractor. Only in this brand the lever did something completely different and yanked the wheel out of his hand.

There`s been times during my annual ride where we take a different tractor and during the pretrip I have to ask where the stuff is I`m supposed to be looking for.

images

Just get these made in UPS brown and it will fit right in for the feeder dept. Someone falls off their tractor they`ll gently roll to a stop.