New 8's

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had a Workhorse and felt like it was a Frankenstein truck made of whatever cheapest parts were available. It had a few nice features but no way it will last as long as the old package cars did.

Workhorse from P7 on down have been less than great. Endless campaigns annd bulletins. All have been retofitted for body fortifications due to lack of support.Flimsy chassis and goes through springs like popcorn. No, they won't last 20 years. Be lucky to get 10.:whiteflag: An astute observation.

Yep those things are all over the place. Wrote one up every day for a month. Checked front end ok. Month later was told sorry the frame had a crack in it. This things was under 50,000 miles. Workhorse is crap.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I suppose it's cheaper for everyone if they just part out assembly pieces. I don't suppose we'll be seeing many of the Mercedes...mostly 6.0 liters. i was reading about the new composite bodies they're trying out...could save up to 900 pounds they said. I wonder how solid they'd be in an accident.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yep those things are all over the place. Wrote one up every day for a month. Checked front end ok. Month later was told sorry the frame had a crack in it. This things was under 50,000 miles. Workhorse is crap.[/QUOTES]

Sorry to hear that. Not the sort of thing you expect on such a low mileage vehicle. Left front spring hangers like to come away from the frame and cause the steering center to move around. One of many issues I was aware of long before the bulletin came out. Inadequate bolt size.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I suppose it's cheaper for everyone if they just part out assembly pieces. I don't suppose we'll be seeing many of the Mercedes...mostly 6.0 liters. i was reading about the new composite bodies they're trying out...could save up to 900 pounds they said. I wonder how solid they'd be in an accident.

Superglue, anyone?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Heavier is better in the snow. Thats one of the reasons I miss my old International/ Powerstroke 97, it was a tank in the snow compared to the lightweight car I have now.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I agree...although if they wouldn't dual the rears it would handle in the snow just fine. That and 6-8 sandbags would do the trick...I'm pretty sure there's diminishing returns when it comes to weight in the snow.

slantnosechevy

Heavier is better in the snow. Thats one of the reasons I miss my old International/ Powerstroke 97, it was a tank in the snow compared to the lightweight car I have now.

I drove one of those on occasion. They didn't come close to my old P800 in snow or mud with the high step and no power steering. 600,000 mi. and no back, knee, or shoulder trouble. I spent my first 25 in one. They had to take it away from me because I wasn't giving it up. At 600,000 it was still tighter than any new model. A simply made tough vehicle for much simpler times. No conspiracy just dependable technology of the times. Allison transmissions were just a pipe dream. I will say power steering SHOULD have been installed from '85 on.

8andout

Is Freightliner making walkin trucks again? I looked at all their trucks and they don't have walkin's listed...doesn't mean they don't...just saying...I wouldn't be surprised if it's another workhorse w62 frame. Either way, it'd be nice to get some of those 800's.
Yes, the new P8 and many of the new P10's are friend/L chassis with GM 6.0 gas. Navistar {International} is no longer taking orders for Workhorse chassis. They are ending production of the workhorse chassis.

I drove one of those on occasion. They didn't come close to my old P800 in snow or mud with the high step and no power steering. 600,000 mi. and no back, knee, or shoulder trouble. I spent my first 25 in one. They had to take it away from me because I wasn't giving it up. At 600,000 it was still tighter than any new model. A simply made tough vehicle for much simpler times. No conspiracy just dependable technology of the times. Allison transmissions were just a pipe dream. I will say power steering SHOULD have been installed from '85 on.
I was driving one of the old 8's around today. With the way the wind was blowing the snow around it would be snowing inside the truck.