New 9.5 List Rules !!!!!

bkdad

I was just informed that my 9.5 grievance got pulled off the table at pannel because,
I have a rule route and drive more then 140 miles.

I'm a shop steward in San Diego and when I told my BA that its not in the
contract so how did this happen. He told me National and hall renegotiaed
IT !!!!!!!!!!

HAS anyone herd of this and WHAT THE HELL CAN WE DO ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!
PISSED OFF
:angry::angry::angry::angry:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They tried that crap here. It didn't work. I have been paid grievances on 9.5's even though I was on a rural rte and on more than one occasion.

They don't do it anymore. Doesn't matter what rte I am on, if I am risk of going over it gets pulled off.

brownieboy

LOL, we were told by our Manager that the 9.5 list didnt apply to us. Just the other centers. Most all of our rts are AT LEAST 10 hours a day. I havent had under a 9.5 plan for a month and a half

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was just informed that my 9.5 grievance got pulled off the table at pannel because,

IT !!!!!!!!!!

PISSED OFF

Hmm. I drive close to 200 miles a day and I won my 9.5 grievances last year. I haven't had to file since the new contract went into effect but I haven't heard anything about this "rural route rule".

BigBrownSanta

Where I'm at, all of our 9.5 grievances were deadlocked and sent to the national 9.5 committee. The committee refused to rule on the grievances and sent them back to the local level to be resolved.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been reading about this rule on here for a long time. I remember some centers had the opt-in/opt-out list up right after the contract was negotiated. This was one of the perks we got for negotiating away our leverage, and now thats being negotiated.

Atlanta knows that this was a raw deal for them, but we got a raw deal as well in parts of the contract. I've yet to see a list up at our center and we have a very strong union here.

I hope Atlanta realizes that not all of us want to work 10 hours a day (11 hours w/lunch). I like coming home and actually have time to do something !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Atlanta knows that this was a raw deal for them, but we got a raw deal as well in parts of the contract. I've yet to see a list up at our center and we have a very strong union here.

I hope Atlanta realizes that not all of us want to work 10 hours a day (11 hours w/lunch). I like coming home and actually have time to do something !

I object linking Corporate UPS with Atlanta.
Atlanta was a nice place before all you damm yankess (that includes Chicago) came down here!
If you feel you must use Atlanta in some form...may I suggest Yanklanta. :wink2:

Disclaimer: Just goofing...I really like all these Yankees I'm surrounded by...really...no really.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its such a cop out. You dont see fedex express out there until 730. The post office isnt out there either....I once asked a big wig from one of the larger post offices about this and they said that production goes way down in the dark, along with the safety issue, so they dont keep the troops out much past 5pm. UPS doesnt care about your safety after dark, they just dont, and adding one strip of reflective material to a vest of coat isnt going to do anything against a drunk driver. If a driver gets in an accident or gets hit while walking around in the dark its the drivers fault, always, period, end of story. Its always comes back to the 28 dollar an hour issue....its just not true. Look at the amount of money a truck driver( yellow, abf) or fedex makes per what they do in a day, then compare that to what a typical ups driver makes and tell me who is making out with the best deal, especially factoring in the total benefit pkg....its not ups. Then factor in the ware and tare on the body, the mental games, bad back, knees etc and ups really isnt comming ahead. If anyone wants to survive at this company for 30 years it really is a mental game to be able to use all the lifting methods even though speed is always going to be the main thing.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Isn't that the truth. I was born in Piedmont Hospital so I feel like I am one of the few native Atlantans left.Them "Yankees" have been invading us since 1865, it just hasn't been the same since:wink2:. I just drive through it on the way home now, I seldom go downtown.

New Englander

Its such a cop out. You dont see fedex express out there until 730. The post office isnt out there either....I once asked a big wig from one of the larger post offices about this and they said that production goes way down in the dark, along with the safety issue, so they dont keep the troops out much past 5pm. UPS doesnt care about your safety after dark, they just dont, and adding one strip of reflective material to a vest of coat isnt going to do anything against a drunk driver. If a driver gets in an accident or gets hit while walking around in the dark its the drivers fault, always, period, end of story. Its always comes back to the 28 dollar an hour issue....its just not true. Look at the amount of money a truck driver( yellow, abf) or fedex makes per what they do in a day, then compare that to what a typical ups driver makes and tell me who is making out with the best deal, especially factoring in the total benefit pkg....its not ups. Then factor in the ware and tare on the body, the mental games, bad back, knees etc and ups really isnt comming ahead. If anyone wants to survive at this company for 30 years it really is a mental game to be able to use all the lifting methods even though speed is always going to be the main thing.

Perhaps it's me......I don't really think any amount of reflective material is going to save you from a drunk driver. :confused2:

We are out at night for lot's of reasons - mainly for the CUSTOMER.

The post offices around here all load/sort their own routes and usually start at 5am. That is why I don't see them out much past 5pm - though some are.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Perhaps it's me......I don't really think any amount of reflective material is going to save you from a drunk driver. :confused2:

The post offices around here all load/sort their own routes and usually start at 5am. That is why I don't see them out much past 5pm - though some are.

new, I understand your view but Id like to know the what percentage our rate of being hit or having other things happen to us goes up after dark. I dont see why we cant start earlier, even 15 or 20 minutes could help. You dont ever see fedex out as late as ups, Id like to have a dollar for everytime a customer has said "arent you done yet?" and thats usually at 530 at night, which we all know isnt late for ups at all. Are you saying that they care about our safety?

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Its mainly so ups can cut back on cars...most business are delivered and picked up by 5pm. Most of the routes that are staying out late are doing residentials, which fedex and the post office has delivered hours earlier. Yes the ups stores are picked up late along with the occasional business acct, but these dont account for most routes.

tourists24

IT !!!!!!!!!!

PISSED OFF
I know someone who is on the 9.5 committee and this is just a rumor. There is no new agreement for someone driving over 140 miles.

pkgdriver

Post office on my route starts to sort their mail about 7am and start coming in at around 330-4PM. A few start a later than 7am and finish later.

FredEX ground is out plenty late(not as much the last 3 months it seems) and they start earlier than I do.

Just tonight it was about 6pm and I got the "out late tonight huh" I said im just hitting 8 hrs now, I wish we could start earlier though. A 730 start and 530 return would be great but it is what it is.

govols019

You smell that?
Hmm. I drive close to 200 miles a day and I won my 9.5 grievances last year. I haven't had to file since the new contract went into effect but I haven't heard anything about this "rural route rule".

The only two rural route rules I know are as follows:

1. Don't forget to shut the gate.

2. Stay out of the beans.