New Accident Policy

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey everyone!! We have a new and improved Accident Policy revision. I won't bore you with the details, because that's your manager's job, but suffice it to say that it eliminates any illusions you might have about making FedEx a career.

They don't want that anyway, but Fred will certainly allow you to work until you're burned-out or injured, then he'll fire you. This new policy makes it likely that you'll get terminated for accidents/tickets first, which will make your FedEx "career" that much shorter.

Thanks, Fred!!

vantexan

Hey everyone!! We have a new and improved Accident Policy revision. I won't bore you with the details, because that's your manager's job, but suffice it to say that it eliminates any illusions you might have about making FedEx a career.

They don't want that anyway, but Fred will certainly allow you to work until you're burned-out or injured, then he'll fire you. This new policy makes it likely that you'll get terminated for accidents/tickets first, which will make your FedEx "career" that much shorter.

Thanks, Fred!!

Care to elaborate? I had an incident from almost a full 2 years before my last review. Got dinged for it which was a surprise. This was last Oct I think. Thought single incidents didn't count but mgr said company was getting stricter about everything. Lower raise %'s, then find creative ways to lower review scores. Just another reason why I think the process to downsize Express has started.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Care to elaborate? I had an incident from almost a full 2 years before my last review. Got dinged for it which was a surprise. This was last Oct I think. Thought single incidents didn't count but mgr said company was getting stricter about everything. Lower raise %'s, then find creative ways to lower review scores. Just another reason why I think the process to downsize Express has started.

The new policy should be covered in your next station meetng. I read it today, and it's way too long to summarize other than to say it's much easier to get fired now.

vantexan

The new policy should be covered in your next station meetng. I read it today, and it's way too long to summarize other than to say it's much easier to get fired now.

Well I'm glad my rt is in a rural setting that rarely sees ice. Urban driving under heavy rt pressure, especially in winter weather, is conducive to accidents. I wonder if the policy will change after they pare down the workforce?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well I'm glad my rt is in a rural setting that rarely sees ice. Urban driving under heavy rt pressure, especially in winter weather, is conducive to accidents. I wonder if the policy will change after they pare down the workforce?

I'm guessing that's the objective (eliminating senior employees).

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Real nice how they go and change things on a whim. Also notice they did this AFTER the SFA, like that wasn't planned. But hey were a people company. RAH, RAH RAH!!!

Cactus

Well.....anyone know any details about this??

Trying to pin down a manager while the sort is going on is hard enough, they're on their cell phones constantly and then they're gone when I return back to the building.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well.....anyone know any details about this??

Trying to pin down a manager while the sort is going on is hard enough, they're on their cell phones constantly and then they're gone when I return back to the building.

Basically you can have a combination of 5 "events" (either serious moving violations, occurences, accidents) during your entire FedEx career. At that point, you can still be an employee (haha) but you cannot drive. The dollar level for occurences is raised from $500 to $1000, and there is a 6 "event" combination that is a bit different, but still prohibits you from driving...ever. I just skimmed it, and they wouldn't give me a copy, so I'll try and get ahold of it again and take a closer look.

vantexan

Basically you can have a combination of 5 "events" (either serious moving violations, occurences, accidents) during your entire FedEx career. At that point, you can still be an employee (haha) but you cannot drive. The dollar level for occurences is raised from $500 to $1000, and there is a 6 "event" combination that is a bit different, but still prohibits you from driving...ever. I just skimmed it, and they wouldn't give me a copy, so I'll try and get ahold of it again and take a closer look.

I suppose that's from this moment forward? And that will definitely get rid of higher paid employees because just as they're getting to better pay they'll hit that 5th event. Or everyone will be so freaking careful they'll go slower then be dinged for not making their goal.

FedEx2000

Close, it's actually any combination of 5 preventable accidents and/or occurrences and/or moving violation convictions obtained in a FDX vehicle in a 36 month period will result in removal from driving for remainder of FDX career......or combination of 6 of the same in a 60 month period. So, it's not in your entire career...but still very strict. Much of this is brought on by the enhancements to the FMSCA also....their rules have been getting stricter regarding the driving history of CDL licensed drivers especially, forcing some of these changes. There's not always a conspiracy theory behind everything to get rid of people, you guys need to lighten up and relax a bit.

Bottom line is that accidents cost FDX a ton of money each year, yet couriers continue to talk/text/look at ppad while driving and backing into fixed objects that should have been seen when they drove up to the stop. Apparently the threat of a $2,500 fine by the FMCSA/DOT isn't enough of a deterrent b/c it still happens...so maybe this will get people's attention and make them realize that it isn't worth it and the text can wait until your next stop.And no, not everything is preventable.....I just ruled an accident this week as non-preventable. But we are held to a higher standard than a 16 year old that just got his license as we should be.

Cactus

Now just watch, there will be more minor occurances that go unreported.

Bottom line is that accidents cost FDX a ton of money each year, yet couriers continue to talk/text/look at ppad while driving and backing into fixed objects that should have been seen when they drove up to the stop. Apparently the threat of a $2,500 fine by the FMCSA/DOT isn't enough of a deterrent b/c it still happens...so maybe this will get people's attention and make them realize that it isn't worth it and the text can wait until your next stop.And no, not everything is preventable.....I just ruled an accident this week as non-preventable. But we are held to a higher standard than a 16 year old that just got his license as we should be.

Then why is Fred and his cronies always pushing the envelope to the max with couriers and all these goals and on road performance?

Obviously profit is more important in their eyes than safety these days but having an accident suddenly makes them change their horses to a big safety conciencious company.

Last edited:

vantexan

There's not always a conspiracy theory behind everything to get rid of people, you guys need to lighten up and relax a bit.

Maybe so, but I'm comfortable believing that, given the history of takeaways, that every possible avenue of profit enhancement is being explored and most likely plans are being formulated right now to carry various ideas out. The single biggest thing they could do is restructure our workday around less freight and eliminate overtime. If I'm suddenly looking at 35-37 hrs a week instead of 41-44 then things are going to get tougher. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business. But many of us have been sacrificing for years already and yet the company will most likely at some point ask us to sacrifice even more. Considering their track record it's much more likely this will happen than not.

LTFedExer

Close, it's actually any combination of 5 preventable accidents and/or occurrences and/or moving violation convictions obtained in a FDX vehicle in a 36 month period will result in removal from driving for remainder of FDX career......or combination of 6 of the same in a 60 month period. So, it's not in your entire career...but still very strict.
This is considered strict? If you get 5 occurrences in 3 years or 6 in 5 years, you shouldn't be driving to begin with.

Myort

This is considered strict? If you get 5 occurrences in 3 years or 6 in 5 years, you shouldn't be driving to begin with.

Kind of what I was thinking also. I was told 2 accidents in a year gets you disqualified from driving for a year (policy now) and 2 occurrences gets you to reds class.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also agree that 5 in 36 and 6 in 60 are too many but does the clock restart/reset the 1st of each month? In other words, say you had an occurrence 1/1/10--would that fall off 1/1/16?

Cactus

I also agree that 5 in 36 and 6 in 60 are too many but does the clock restart/reset the 1st of each month? In other words, say you had an occurrence 1/1/10--would that fall off 1/1/16?

I was wondering about that too.

Most likely they'll "grandfather" past accidents/occurances into the equation. :dissapointed:

snackdad

I was a swing driver for many years. Many many times had to deal with damage that suddenly appeared on vehicles with no accident report. When you have a system where multiple drivers are driving the same vehicle you need to be very careful about discovered damage. One guy I used to work with had at least 6 backing accidents that he never reported. Every month or so a new dent or ding showed up on the van. Management could do nothing with so many people driving the same vehicle. Another very convenient excuse was to blame it on the car washers or the Saturday crew.
I have seen sprinters with the roof caved in and no one taking responsibility. These unreported events will definitely go through the roof now. Driving is a day to day challenge of focus and awareness. I had a 20 year perfect driving record that I was very proud of and I was used as an example to new hires who needed to adapt quickly to the difficult demands of the job and driving safely. I believe it is harder than ever out there to balance safety, productivity demands and every other thing thrown at you at once. It is very stressful.
I feel proud that I earned that 20 years of safe driving. I never lied and never covered up any accidents or incidents. What makes me feel lousy is getting terminated for speaking up about safety concerns 3 months shy of my 20 year safety watch. I earned that watch. Some day I will buy myself a Rolex. The heck with their empty promises and lies. Having 20 years with the company and over 40 is a bad combination for FedEx.

LTFedExer

snackdad - Any damage YOU see on the truck, note it on the VIR. That will cover your butt.

Spoke with a manager today (mine was off). He said an email was sent out basically saying any incident that occurs now, notify legal first. The new 'occurrence policy' is not finalized.