New Accident Policy

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

snackdad - Any damage YOU see on the truck, note it on the VIR. That will cover your butt.

Not necessarily true. I wrote up a damaged bumper on my Econoline, 2 days later I got to visit with the Senior about why I damaged the truck and lied about it, 2 minutes in I told him to call the mechanics, they confirmed that I had told them first thing the morning I wrote it up. Never got an apology and never heard anything else about it. I found the PM'er that drove my truck and ripped him a new one. I take my safe driving seriously, I follow their rules when it comes to reporting things like this.

This is life with a target on your back.

SmithBarney

Any new damage on a vehicle you haven't driven prior, notify your immediate mgr before moving the truck,(especially if its not noted in VIR)

The Accident policy is available online guys, just look for the people manual our mgr printed it out. I think its a more clear picture compared to
the previous policy... another reason for "stricter" rules is FedEx can negotiate better insurance rates from their carriers..if they "promise" to get rid of high risk drivers as required.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not necessarily true. I wrote up a damaged bumper on my Econoline, 2 days later I got to visit with the Senior about why I damaged the truck and lied about it, 2 minutes in I told him to call the mechanics, they confirmed that I had told them first thing the morning I wrote it up. Never got an apology and never heard anything else about it. I found the PM'er that drove my truck and ripped him a new one. I take my safe driving seriously, I follow their rules when it comes to reporting things like this.

Maybe FedEx2000 can clarify this, but there doesn't appear to be a re-set on the new accident policy. You're just done. I still have not had a chance to thoroughly review it yet. I guess there isn't a limit to what they'll do to us, is there?

LTFedExer

You wrote it up and covered your butt and it worked in your favor. Same thing as I said.
Spoke with a manager today (mine was off). He said an email was sent out basically saying any incident that occurs now, notify legal first. The new 'occurrence policy' is not finalized.
Maybe FedEx2000 can clarify this, but there doesn't appear to be a re-set on the new accident policy. You're just done. I still have not? had a chance to thoroughly review it yet. I guess there isn't a limit to what they'll do to us, is there?
Maybe it won't reset, but (like now), it becomes a rolling 3/5 years. If I was in danger of losing my job due to accidents, I'd become a CSA or get another non-driving position. The way it's written now isn't the final version anyway.

vantexan

:sad-very::sad-very:
You wrote it up and covered your butt and it worked in your favor. Same thing as I said.

Maybe it won't reset, but (like now), it becomes a rolling 3/5 years. If I was in danger of losing my job due to accidents, I'd become a CSA or get another non-driving position. The way it's written now isn't the final version anyway.

Now that we're in danger of losing our jobs, maybe they can take accidents off the review so that we can get the huge raise we would've otherwise gotten.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You would never make it at UPS if you think 5 occurances in a 3 year period is too strict!! I have been 26 years without any moving violations either in my personal vehicle or the companies. 19 years without an accident and the one I did have was a 2 inch scratch on an overhead door because I got too close, didn't even dent it, no cost to UPS but was still an avoidable accident!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

OK, if it isn't the final version, then why did they make it policy? My guess is that they're getting a major backlash, and will be forced to modify it.

LTFedExer

You would never make it at UPS if you think 5 occurances in a 3 year period is too strict!! I have been 26 years without any moving violations either in my personal vehicle or the companies. 19 years without an accident and the one I did have was a 2 inch scratch on an overhead door because I got too close, didn't even dent it, no cost to UPS but was still an avoidable accident!!
I had 1 speeding ticket and no accidents since I was 22 (I'll be 45 after the summer). Had a rental cargo van and just didn't realize how fast I was going. So I don't care what the policy says, it doesn't affect me.
OK, if it isn't the final version, then why did they make it policy? My guess is that they're getting a major backlash, and will be forced to modify it.
It's possible. But, we weren't 'officially' told about the change and maybe that's why.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Most FedEx drivers would do just fine at UPS. There are many of us with 20+ years of accident free driving. There are some people who will get canned, and they probably aren't cut out for a driving career. My point was that it's just another level of complexity and control from Memphis, and that they purposely waited until the SFA was over to announce the change.

I'm not worried about it, nor are most other couriers. Just more micromanagement we could do without.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Most FedEx drivers would do just fine at UPS. There are many of us with 20+ years of accident free driving. There are some people who will get canned, and they probably aren't cut out for a driving career. My point was that it's just another level of complexity and control from Memphis, and that they purposely waited until the SFA was over to announce the change.

I'm not worried about it, nor are most other couriers. Just more micromanagement we could do without.

Wait until you get telematics!!

The Mayor

I also saw the policy the other day (8-90). Another point that was not mentioned in any of the thread postings is that the person having the accident/occurrence will also recieve a warning letter (automatically). Then, depending on the severity of the accident and location can include up to a 1 to 2 day unpaid suspension. :surprised:

So, now this will also effect one's ability on being able to bid on open jobs, and have a 3-5 year role over on the performance review. I would like to see upper management begin to even try to perform or live up to the standards that they are putting into place. They wouldn't have a chance....we can't even get roads fixed correctly at my location. What a joke.

vantexan

I also saw the policy the other day (8-90). Another point that was not mentioned in any of the thread postings is that the person having the accident/occurrence will also recieve a warning letter (automatically). Then, depending on the severity of the accident and location can include up to a 1 to 2 day unpaid suspension. :surprised:

So, now this will also effect one's ability on being able to bid on open jobs, and have a 3-5 year role over on the performance review. I would like to see upper management begin to even try to perform or live up to the standards that they are putting into place. They wouldn't have a chance....we can't even get roads fixed correctly at my location. What a joke.

Even an occurrence gets a warning letter? And we're hit on our reviews for 3-5 years? So, another way to keep raises low. Get a small scratch, bang, 35 cent raises for the next 3+ years.

snackdad

It seems like as new policies are created now they come along with automatic warning letters/written performance reminders for any violation. First there was a written performance automatically when you had a CA. break violation of working more that 5.5 hours before minimum 30 minute break. Then there was a mandatory letter for missing a POD and now there is automatic warning letter for any accident/occurrence. Next thing you know there will be an automatic letter for calling in sick or questioning anything. There are probably more policies that I do not know about that come with an automatic letter.
The company is clearly creating very strict policies in order to keep turnover high to keep a low paid work force and to have a tool to ease veterans toward the door as they approach 20 years of service or are over 40. My senior manager told me that the Company considered the courier position a 3 to 5 year position. I sure wish they told me that bit of news when they promised me the moon in 1990.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It seems like as new policies are created now they come along with automatic warning letters/written performance reminders for any violation. First there was a written performance automatically when you had a CA. break violation of working more that 5.5 hours before minimum 30 minute break. Then there was a mandatory letter for missing a POD and now there is automatic warning letter for any accident/occurrence. Next thing you know there will be an automatic letter for calling in sick or questioning anything. There are probably more policies that I do not know about that come with an automatic letter.
The company is clearly creating very strict policies in order to keep turnover high to keep a low paid work force and to have a tool to ease veterans toward the door as they approach 20 years of service or are over 40. My senior manager told me that the Company considered the courier position a 3 to 5 year position. I sure wish they told me that bit of news when they promised me the moon in 1990.

Part of this may have been inspired by the government CSA initiative, but it appears that FedEx has declared war on career employees. They say it's not retroactive, but how can it not be for someone who is already on the bubble with 2 accidents? I read it today, and it's extreme. As Cactus pointed-out earlier, they had to know about this well before SFA, but they chose the week of "results" to release the policy. There is also a lot of management discretion as to how violations of this policy will be interpreted. In other words, they can do whatever they want.

I only hope that it inspires more people to think about protecting themselves with a union.

FedEx2000

Maybe FedEx2000 can clarify this, but there doesn't appear to be a re-set on the new accident policy. You're just done. I still have not had a chance to thoroughly review it yet. I guess there isn't a limit to what they'll do to us, is there?

My understanding was that it isn't retro-active, but i've been on vaca all week and haven't heard anything since it first came out. Not exactly sure yet how they are going to handle it with someone who already has a few on their record.

Where are you guys getting that it will hit your review for 3-5 years? The review as it currently stands requires a 24 month period of occurrence/accident free period to get a 7. Nothing has been said of any changes to that.

The other thing you need to realize is that Express is self-insured and every accident, no matter how minor, is an automatic approx. $20,000 charge to the station budget. We just add up the amount we spent on accidents the previous year, divided by the number of accidents, and viola! That is the amount that is charged to the station. Doesn't matter if you hit an awning or wiped out 5 other vehicles in the process. The insurance card you see in your truck for "Ace American Insurance" is basically just a "company" that we setup ourselves so that we have an insurance card to carry as required by law....but we are their only customer. We don't get indemnified by another insurance company.

vantexan

Where are you guys getting that it will hit your review for 3-5 years? The review as it currently stands requires a 24 month period of occurrence/accident free period to get a 7. Nothing has been said of any changes to that.

But this is the new policy. If an occurrence is on our record for 3 years and an accident for 5, will they affect our reviews for those periods? If not what's the point of them being on our records? Just an accumulation that could affect our being able to remain in a driving position? If we get an automatic warning letter that has to affect our review also right? So is the warning letter just on us for a certain time or for the entire time the accident or occurrence is?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The other thing you need to realize is that Express is self-insured and every accident, no matter how minor, is an automatic approx. $20,000 charge to the station budget. We just add up the amount we spent on accidents the previous year, divided by the number of accidents, and viola! That is the amount that is charged to the station. Doesn't matter if you hit an awning or wiped out 5 other vehicles in the process. The insurance card you see in your truck for "Ace American Insurance" is basically just a "company" that we setup ourselves so that we have an insurance card to carry as required by law....but we are their only customer. We don't get indemnified by another insurance company.

Why $20,000?

Who comes up with that kind of figuring?