New backing rules

Re-Raise

Aren't you required to wear those ice grippers?

I have them only because the power company on my route provides them to their meter readers and they gave me a pair of them.

No one at UPS has ever offered them to us. They do have us sign a lot of things though.

tourists24

I'm not. The best way to show them how stupid this is, is to do it exactly how they want.
This is what I call "turning the brain off and work exactly as instructed"... follow EDD,,, methods,,, etc. No decision making needed when common sense is thrown out

UPSBluRdg03

The route I ran during Christmas averaged about 120 stops and around 180-200 miles a day, all rural. I had maybe 10 buisness stops each day. Very few houses are close enough to walk, I wouldnt even wanna begin to count how many times I put it in Reverse each day. Like I said Id be out till Midnight

EmerCond421

I have them only because the power company on my route provides them to their meter readers and they gave me a pair of them.

No one at UPS has ever offered them to us. They do have us sign a lot of things though.

We get a new pair every year - still have mine in the package. Never have used them; figured I'd crawl to the PC and put 'em on if needed. cya. :peaceful:

They had us sign off a few years ago - should have followed stewards lead as we were the last in ofc. and he refused. 20/20 hindsight. :biting:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

DVIR, HazMat training roster, and Annual Certification.
I sign nothing else, not even my paycheck since direct deposit.

Re-Raise

We get a new pair every year - still have mine in the package. Never have used them; figured I'd crawl to the PC and put 'em on if needed. cya. :peaceful:

Mine just slip over my boots and I couldn't imagine days like yesterday without them. We had about a 1/10 th of an inch of ice on everything yesterday and I can walk with no problems with them on.

As far as signing all this stuff has anyone here had them throw these things back in your face after an accident or injury?

I assume that is the reason for it, so they can say we trained you to be perfect and safe from every conceivable harm and you signed it. I sign it because they will just say the same thing anyway.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
As far as signing all this stuff has anyone here had them throw these things back in your face after an accident or injury?

Do not sign anything, they will try to pull it out later and show you were certified in this or that, and discipline you because," you knew better, it says so right here. This is your signiture isn't it?"

Re-Raise

Do not sign anything, they will try to pull it out later and show you were certified in this or that, and discipline you because," you knew better, it says so right here. This is your signiture isn't it?"

Won't they try to tell me I should have known better even if I don't sign it?

grgrcr88

Probably, but its alot harder to prove you knew better if there is not a piece of paper with your signiture on it.

They don't need any help, don't give it to them.

Work right slow and safe

I was thinking that this is just one more way to get rid of some people they dont want working for them. when they are out and about watching you they can say you backed and did not call write up or you get the boot one more way to get us out !!!:surprised:

JonFrum

Yes. And they note everything they show you, (usually by checking off your name on a roster,) so they can prove you were advised of the correct proceedures, signature or no signature.

grgrcr88

I would pick a rural house a very long way out that you need to back into the driveway, drive all the way out to it stop in front of the driveway, and since I do not use my cell phone drive to the nearest pay phone to ask if they wanted you to back!!

JustTired

free at last.......
OK......so you deliver to a rural resi, park on the road and walk it off. The next stop requires you to proceed in the direction you just came from. Guess you will just have to go around the block. Boy, those rural blocks can be killers.

If backing is so dangerous....(and I agree that it has the most potential for accidents).....why don't they just remove reverse from the transmissions?

beentheredonethat

I would be interested to hear what the management people on this site think of this.

Do you really believe we are incapable of making these types of decisions?

I back less than 15 times a day. Today, I backed into one driveway to avoid growing around the block to turn around. If that's what they expect, it will add less than 5 minutes to my day.

Although I'm no longer in operations. Here's what I think, 95% of drivers do the right thing the vast majority of the time. There's a small percent that don't and cause the accidents and injuries. I think the msg was mainly for them.

However, Even for the 95%, the minority of the time, people will make a decision to save them a bit of time, but add potential for more accidents. Such as barnyard indicated in his quote. He made a loop around block instead of backing and this will cost 5 minutes a day (or less). That's what the main portion of the msg was for. To stop those backs that don't save us much time and can be avoided.

Work right slow and safe

Although I'm no longer in operations. Here's what I think, 95% of drivers do the right thing the vast majority of the time. There's a small percent that don't and cause the accidents and injuries. I think the msg was mainly for them.

However, Even for the 95%, the minority of the time, people will make a decision to save them a bit of time, but add potential for more accidents. Such as barnyard indicated in his quote. He made a loop around block instead of backing and this will cost 5 minutes a day (or less). That's what the main portion of the msg was for. To stop those backs that don't save us much time and can be avoided.

How many times to you pull up to the curb and have to back to get out of someones drive way you can not park in the street and you can not block driveways