New branding!

bacha29

They can't mess with the express side. It is their bread and butter in revenue. As you can see with the turn over problem their trying to remedy.
People won't stay and they won't work 4 hrs
The express side relies on service and they will fail miserably with new drivers week to week.
That being said ,I better climb this raise latter pretty quick
In the near term you Express employees should be alright. The long term outlook from a job security perspective however has no doubt been reduced from a decade or more down to a few years. Right now you're basing your job security on the belief that X cannot tailor Ground 's contractor format in a way that makes it regulatorily compliant. In the near term and the current regulatory environment it probably can't. But I wouldn't sign my name to a 30 year mortgage on the belief that they will never be able to do so.

dmac1

I doubt they can make us all into contractors. They're going to turn all of us into little businessmen responsible for our own vehicles and taxes? Will we have to buy our rts? Aren't single rt owners really employees according to the courts? So they're going to have multiple rt owners and we're going to just meekly accept no benefits, less pay, no future at all? FedEx beat the Railroad Labor Act with Ground, but to convert Express over, which is highly doubtful legally, would probably destroy the company. They're turning a very nice profit now, do you really think they're going to mess with that? Dano is a liar by the way.

They don't need to make express drivers into contractors. They already have contractors covering all the areas you serve. They just need to fire you. Maybe the ground contractor servicing your old area will hire you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

dmac1

ISPs in certain places would need to hire a lot more than 2 or 3, your adding over 100 stops a day to each truck plus 30-40 pups a day depending on route and area
So they hire 10, or 6, and use their current drivers to deliver express packages. There is no reason to have two drivers servicing the same area all the time.

Gone fishin

In the near term you Express employees should be alright. The long term outlook from a job security perspective however has no doubt been reduced from a decade or more down to a few years. Right now you're basing your job security on the belief that X cannot tailor Ground 's contractor format in a way that makes it regulatorily compliant. In the near term and the current regulatory environment it probably can't. But I wouldn't sign my name to a 30 year mortgage on the belief that they will never be able to do so.
I believe that can be said for any job it seems now a days. The stock at 168 in a down economy,their making more money than ever and they just got a huge international chunk with tnt. Not to mention the e commerce boom.
I see no reason for Fred to shoot himself in the foot. He's Rollin

dmac1

I'm just arguing for the sake of it, within 5 years I'll be done anyway.

How much do you think X would take from you for a p1 late? I can only assume the contractor would have to eat that somehow, and believe me there are a whole lot of lates

Fedex likes making the contractors eat costs. Duhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

dmac1

Pipe dreams bro.

You hope bro. If UPS drivers can do it all with one service, so can fedex. The express packages will still be expedited to the hubs by air, etc, but that can just as easily be a ground hub. Where I live now, the express and ground are in the same building, or connected buildings at least.

dmac1

As of now when an employee is let go his severance is accrued vacation owed to him. I think it's possible for contractors to handle deliveries but am pretty certain the FAA will never allow anyone but regular employees to pickup pkgs and get them loaded all the way to the aircraft. That could be done with a smaller part-time workforce. FedEx would lose a lot of fulltimers if they initially cut their hours way down. These guys saying contractors will do it all aren't familiar with airfreight regs.
Fedex could just as easily send a contracted trailer to pick up from the airport. The FAA doesn't care who picks them up. I used to go to the airport every night to pick up a truckload of newspapers flown into Kansas City.

dmac1

What about kinkos? They accept express packages and then express employees pick them up. Wouldn't similar rules apply? Ground could pick up from shippers, express picks up from Ground and loads their planes.
A ground truck could pick up express packages from the terminal and take them to the airport just as easily as a current express driver.

dmac1

I see all the Express Saver or 3 Day going to Ground via truck to existing Ground terminals, all the P1, P2 and 2 Day to existing Airport locations delivered by Express couriers who are only part time workers.

Because ground drivers don't know where the airport is?????????

dmac1

They can't mess with the express side. It is their bread and butter in revenue. As you can see with the turn over problem their trying to remedy.
People won't stay and they won't work 4 hrs
The express side relies on service and they will fail miserably with new drivers week to week.
That being said ,I better climb this raise latter pretty quick

Fedex ground drivers can do everything a fedex express driver can do, including picking up from Kinkos.

bacha29

So they hire 10, or 6, and use their current drivers to deliver express packages. There is no reason to have two drivers servicing the same area all the time.
I think that we can all agree that the conversion is now under way. It's just a question of how long it will take to make the complete conversion. As I said before I believe it will take 10 years at the most possibly as few a 5 years. How ,any years do you guys think it will take?

dmac1

I believe that can be said for any job it seems now a days. The stock at 168 in a down economy,their making more money than ever and they just got a huge international chunk with tnt. Not to mention the e commerce boom.
I see no reason for Fred to shoot himself in the foot. He's Rollin

Mo' money. Eliminate express terminals, employee benefits, and fleet costs, plus a lot of the personnel, payroll, and HR would be eliminated with giving all pick-up and delivery to ground. ground. I believe that once fedex ground is ISP everywhere, and doesn't face legal challenges for that model, there will be nothing stopping them from dissolving express almost completely.

vantexan

They don't need to make express drivers into contractors. They already have contractors covering all the areas you serve. They just need to fire you. Maybe the ground contractor servicing your old area will hire you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
No, Ground will just have to hire more of the kind of people who are willing to work under those conditions. The vast majority of Express employees will move on to something else. Assuming of course that pigs fly and the world ends tomorrow....