New branding!

SmithBarney

Well first you've got to learn it's no longer Kinkos.

Problem is everyone still calls it Kinkos.... even here, customers ask where is the FedEx office to ship a package...uh which one?
Unfortunately We internally call it a "station" FedEx calls it a "Ship Center" or something like that.. FedEx friend'd up horribly changing the name of Kinkos...

Gone fishin

Mo' money. Eliminate express terminals, employee benefits, and fleet costs, plus a lot of the personnel, payroll, and HR would be eliminated with giving all pick-up and delivery to ground. ground. I believe that once fedex ground is ISP everywhere, and doesn't face legal challenges for that model, there will be nothing stopping them from dissolving express almost completely.
Except for the fact of the difference between ground and express worker. Ground
Mo' money. Eliminate express terminals, employee benefits, and fleet costs, plus a lot of the personnel, payroll, and HR would be eliminated with giving all pick-up and delivery to ground. ground. I believe that once fedex ground is ISP everywhere, and doesn't face legal challenges for that model, there will be nothing stopping them from dissolving express almost completely.
too big of risk at the end of the day. You know it's not as if drivers are making a 100 grand a year

dmac1

Except for the fact of the difference between ground and express worker. Ground

too big of risk at the end of the day. You know it's not as if drivers are making a 100 grand a year
Ground drivers are lucky to make $25000 gross. $12.50 an hour is common. NO benefits, no paid time off, no paid holidays. And if fedex can eliminate payroll and HR for thousands of drivers and packager handlers, and cut terminals by half, fedex will save tons of money.A few years ago, guys in my terminal were paying $90-$100 a day for 10+ hour days. There's no more risk with ground drivers than with express drivers. Express drivers just think they must be better because they were lucky enough to be hired. I worked with a lot of good honest hard working people and I've seen plenty of lazy express drivers too.

MAKAVELI

You hope bro. If UPS drivers can do it all with one service, so can fedex. The express packages will still be expedited to the hubs by air, etc, but that can just as easily be a ground hub. Where I live now, the express and ground are in the same building, or connected buildings at least.
UPS does it with an all employee workforce you tool. And makes more profit than express and ground put together.

Gone fishin

Ground drivers are lucky to make $25000 gross. $12.50 an hour is common. NO benefits, no paid time off, no paid holidays. And if fedex can eliminate payroll and HR for thousands of drivers and packager handlers, and cut terminals by half, fedex will save tons of money.A few years ago, guys in my terminal were paying $90-$100 a day for 10+ hour days. There's no more risk with ground drivers than with express drivers. Express drivers just think they must be better because they were lucky enough to be hired. I worked with a lot of good honest hard working people and I've seen plenty of lazy express drivers too.
I agree. Point being is a ground driver gonna do the express work for that money. No way,not all the stuff we have to go through with management.
Turn over bonanza. Service failures,fired drivers,lates.
Bye bye fed ex if you can't get my freight here on time
Too risky

SmithBarney

I agree. Point being is a ground driver gonna do the express work for that money. No way,not all the stuff we have to go through with management.
Too risky

Bingo, Ground drivers aren't use to having any commits let alone 4-5 depending on area. Then throw some Pickups in...
they still can't even get to same day pickups.

FedGT

Too risky
What is the difference of Express work? Do you guys have 50-75 oversized packages weighing between 80-180 lbs going to 3,4,5+ story apartments with no elevators? Most of my guys had anywhere between 100-120 deliveries a day (outside of peak) that spanned multiple express routes anywhere between 14-25 pickups.
We are very used to worthless management. Pricks busting your balls for any code, even if you are over 99.6. Firing your employees for unjust reasons. Fines for unjust reasons. I think we are much more similar than you think but we get to deal with it while they micromanage our business.

Last edited:

STFXG

Here's the way I see it going.

Express shifts to a part time workforce handling only P1. Everything else gets diverted.
They lose RLA status, but since the workforce has been cut so dramatically it's no longer an issue. If the remaining drivers do attempt to organize then express, as a delivery opco, will shut down and Express will just become a service.
Ground continues to be a cash cow. Profits are through the roof with the new model. Contractors get screwed on the regular with missed time commits. $20 per late delivery deducted.

And van... A company employee doesn't have to load the plane. Not sure where you got that from.

Fragiledonthrow

Let's have little poll. How long will it take for Xpress in it's current form to reinvent itself in some other completely different form or be phased out of the market altogether?. My guess is that it will take no more than 10 years possibly as little as 5 years. What do you guys think?
Jeez its crazy how many up beat contractors up in here. How about we have a poll. On when ground drivers wisen up and go on strike and screws up that whole ground opco.. 15 bucks an hour or 35(like ups) with bennies and some kind of retirement. Ground drivers are really ricky retardo.
This is whats really gonna happen. Ground and air will merge. And we will be like a ups. Bye bye contractors. Too much of a headache. Too many lawsuits. Ai No .

MAKAVELI

Here's the way I see it going.

Express shifts to a part time workforce handling only P1. Everything else gets diverted.
They lose RLA status, but since the workforce has been cut so dramatically it's no longer an issue. If the remaining drivers do attempt to organize then express, as a delivery opco, will shut down and Express will just become a service.
Ground continues to be a cash cow. Profits are through the roof with the new model. Contractors get screwed on the regular with missed time commits. $20 per late delivery deducted.

And van... A company employee doesn't have to load the plane. Not sure where you got that from.
Here's the way I see it. Both opcos continue to operate as they do now until they are forced to abandon the contractor model, then combining the two into an all employee workforce. The express side requires too much control for the contractor model to work. Ground maybe the cash cow but Express is the face of the company. Always has and always will be. Even if it could be done legally and logistically, they won't. Turn Express over to the contractors and watch the whole company burn to the ground. And at this point I'd pay money to see that.;)

fedex_rtd

Fedex ground drivers can do everything a fedex express driver can do, including picking up from Kinkos.

No you cannot. I would bet that a majority of Ground drivers would be unable to pass a TSA background check for a hazardous materials endorsement.

Do you know how to pickup an 023 airbill, or even know what one is without doing a Google search?

How many of your drivers do you think could pass a background check for a SIDA badge?

So before you say you can do the same job as a Express driver, you should think again, and when you start talking about job knowledge to be a heavyweight express driver, you are way outclassed.

fedex_rtd

My opinion on the rebranding thing to everyone having an orange EX, is for PR.

Everyone has associated the green EX for poor road manners and tons of crashes. Now it will just be a FedEx big rig that killed some innocent family, instead of one that was easily identified as a ground or "dirt bag" driver.

Purplepackage

My opinion on the rebranding thing to everyone having an orange EX, is for PR.

Everyone has associated the green EX for poor road manners and tons of crashes. Now it will just be a FedEx big rig that killed some innocent family, instead of one that was easily identified as a ground or "dirt bag" driver.

That could be what they are doing, but thats just to ridiculously simple.

Also where is Dano?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's have little poll. How long will it take for Xpress in it's current form to reinvent itself in some other completely different form or be phased out of the market altogether?. My guess is that it will take no more than 10 years possibly as little as 5 years. What do you guys think?

Within 5 years.

bbsam

Staff member
No you cannot. I would bet that a majority of Ground drivers would be unable to pass a TSA background check for a hazardous materials endorsement.

Do you know how to pickup an 023 airbill, or even know what one is without doing a Google search?

How many of your drivers do you think could pass a background check for a SIDA badge?

So before you say you can do the same job as a Express driver, you should think again, and when you start talking about job knowledge to be a heavyweight express driver, you are way outclassed.
Strange. I had three drivers leave who now work for Express.