New branding!

SmithBarney

I don't think an Uber style delivery program will last much longer than the IC model lasted. Are Uber driver's commercially licensed and insured? Do their vehicles meet DOT standards? Do they maintain their vehicles? Most cities and counties require a business license, which means the Uber driver will need commercial insurance, and that will make it almost impossible to work on a part time basis.

I can't believe that Uber has gotten away so long already with big cities not requiring taxi permits for those offering personal transport for hire.

Not really, consider it equivalent to Pizza delivery drivers.

dmac1

Not really, consider it equivalent to Pizza delivery drivers.

Pizza delivery drivers are EMPLOYEES. There is no argument about that. They get an hourly wage plus reimbursement for use of their vehicle if they use their own. Uber claims their drivers are contractors.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pizza delivery drivers are EMPLOYEES. There is no argument about that. They get an hourly wage plus reimbursement for use of their vehicle if they use their own. Uber claims their drivers are contractors.

Pizza delivery drivers DO NOT get reimbursement for using their personal vehicles.

dmac1

Pizza delivery drivers DO NOT get reimbursement for using their personal vehicles.
I did- I got 50 cents per delivery. Plus an hourly wage, plus tips. Added up to about $20 an hour, back when gas was $1 a gallon. If there isn't actual reimbursement, you get a mileage deduction.

dmac1

There is a flat delivery charge that may or may not cover the actual cost of the delivery.
30 years ago, I was leaving the 'Hut' with 2-7 orders at a time, and only spending about 10 cents on gas driving a geo metro. I got 50 cents for each order plus min wage and tips of about $2 average, sometimes much more. Their insurance covered me while working, and my car payment came to about $3 a day. Average night was about 5-6 hours and 30-40 deliveries, and about 30-50 miles driven and walking out with at least $70 cash. It was actually a good paying job, considering I already had the car. Plus the reimbursement was tax free, as were the tips.

They didn't charge extra for delivery back then. If I was getting the $3+ the pizza shops charge now, I'd never have left.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

30 years ago, I was leaving the 'Hut' with 2-7 orders at a time, and only spending about 10 cents on gas driving a geo metro. I got 50 cents for each order plus min wage and tips of about $2 average, sometimes much more. Their insurance covered me while working, and my car payment came to about $3 a day. Average night was about 5-6 hours and 30-40 deliveries, and about 30-50 miles driven and walking out with at least $70 cash. It was actually a good paying job, considering I already had the car. Plus the reimbursement was tax free, as were the tips.

They didn't charge extra for delivery back then. If I was getting the $3+ the pizza shops charge now, I'd never have left.

My son had a 30 mile round trip delivery and the guy paid him the exact amount-----no tip.

dmac1

My son had a 30 mile round trip delivery and the guy paid him the exact amount-----no tip.
I worked in the middle of Kansas City- no delivery more than at most 5 miles away. After a while you learn who doesn't tip, and deliver those late, or altered. KC was a big sports town, and when a game was on TV, and the beer was flowing, tips were huge.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I worked in the middle of Kansas City- no delivery more than at most 5 miles away. After a while you learn who doesn't tip, and deliver those late, or altered. KC was a big sports town, and when a game was on TV, and the beer was flowing, tips were huge.
I miss that town. Grew up in Leawood, OP and Olathe. Delivered Dominos in Olathe in HS and as luck would have it, those delivery skills paid off at Ground. 30 mins or it was free! Now who says prior experience never counts! But back then circa 84, it was wages and tips only. My gas, my 3 quarts of oil a week in my worn out Z-28. But yes, I probably made $20/hr too! Enough and a lot more working at Chi Chi's that a $350/month apt in a brand new complex wasn't unrealistic.
"So mom, I'm making like $500 a week.. I'm thinking of renting at the new place up the road from Chi Chi's" *!*Whack in head!*! Now with my wife's kid's I'd whack then for not having ambition sooner!

Last edited:

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Did you know one family owns the majority HD and Ground in KC? I talked with them about 5 yrs ago. they had 65 routes, spent over a mil on fuel and maintenance and were opening their own repair palace.

My kid got code 07'd at her uni, waited all day for a pkg. Guess who had to run it out? Kid was like.. damn dad, do you know everyone?

dmac1

Actually Dominos clearly states on their website(web orders) that:
Any Delivery Charge is not a tip paid to your driver. Please reward your driver for awesomeness.
Yes, the delivery charge IS NOT a tip. That's all it says. But it is how they pay the driver. The wording is intended to make you think the driver is working off tips alone. Saying it is not a tip does not mean that all or part of it doesn't go to the driver.

bacha29

Did you know one family owns the majority HD and Ground in KC? I talked with them about 5 yrs ago. they had 65 routes, spent over a mil on fuel and maintenance and were opening their own repair palace.

My kid got code 07'd at her uni, waited all day for a pkg. Guess who had to run it out? Kid was like.. damn dad, do you know everyone?
Must be an awfully big terminal

Must be an awfully big terminal because a contracted entity is not supposed to have more than 30% of the total number of routes.