New branding!

bacha29

Before you X jocks become totally blind as the result of your completely undeserved sense of self importance allow me to remind you of the fact that 6 years ago Smith made it abundantly clear that Express in it's current form had become too expensive to operate and changes would be made .Those changes would be very expensive to implement but they would be implemented and would NOT be limited to what has been undertaken thus far that being early retirement packages, nearly an entire new fleet of airplanes, stock buy backs, benefit plan and legacy cost reductions many more part time employees, costly acquisitions in order to control markets.I think that they are no more than halfway through the process of reinventing that company. So if you x jocks want to stay safely tucked away in your sheltered little worlds be my guest but change is the only constant and nothing's binding and therefore if change finds it's way to you and you are not prepared who's to blame?

STFXG

No you cannot. I would bet that a majority of Ground drivers would be unable to pass a TSA background check for a hazardous materials endorsement.

Do you know how to pickup an 023 airbill, or even know what one is without doing a Google search?

How many of your drivers do you think could pass a background check for a SIDA badge?

So before you say you can do the same job as a Express driver, you should think again, and when you start talking about job knowledge to be a heavyweight express driver, you are way outclassed.
Lol. You think way too highly of yourself. Every single driver at Ground passes the same Express background check. SIDA badging isn't that hard to get. I'm sure learning how to fill out an airbill is overwhelming to the point that Ground drivers couldn't figure it out. Get over yourself.

Gone fishin

Before you X jocks become totally blind as the result of your completely undeserved sense of self importance allow me to remind you of the fact that 6 years ago Smith made it abundantly clear that Express in it's current form had become too expensive to operate and changes would be made .Those changes would be very expensive to implement but they would be implemented and would NOT be limited to what has been undertaken thus far that being early retirement packages, nearly an entire new fleet of airplanes, stock buy backs, benefit plan and legacy cost reductions many more part time employees, costly acquisitions in order to control markets.I think that they are no more than halfway through the process of reinventing that company. So if you x jocks want to stay safely tucked away in your sheltered little worlds be my guest but change is the only constant and nothing's binding and therefore if change finds it's way to you and you are not prepared who's to blame?
Just my opinion,but I don't have the same vision you do. Your trying to reinvent the wheel of a very simple process. A truck,freight and someone to deliver it. No drones ,self driving cars or robot couriers.
Fred's a billionaire because of the very way we have done it for years. Don't over think this.
Just the way I look at it right or wrong. I'm 28 years in

dmac1

I agree. Point being is a ground driver gonna do the express work for that money. No way,not all the stuff we have to go through with management.
Turn over bonanza. Service failures,fired drivers,lates.
Bye bye fed ex if you can't get my freight here on time
Too risky

Contractors will be more scared than employees about losing their contract, and you know they will make sure that they get the package delivered or picked up on time. If a contractor has 10 trucks, and thousands invested in purchasing the business, he is going to care a lot more than any fedex driver.

dmac1

Here's the way I see it. Both opcos continue to operate as they do now until they are forced to abandon the contractor model, then combining the two into an all employee workforce. The express side requires too much control for the contractor model to work. Ground maybe the cash cow but Express is the face of the company. Always has and always will be. Even if it could be done legally and logistically, they won't. Turn Express over to the contractors and watch the whole company burn to the ground. And at this point I'd pay money to see that.;)

Seems like most express drivers don't realize that all fedex ground drivers will be employees once ISP goes national in a couple years.

dmac1

No you cannot. I would bet that a majority of Ground drivers would be unable to pass a TSA background check for a hazardous materials endorsement.

Do you know how to pickup an 023 airbill, or even know what one is without doing a Google search?

How many of your drivers do you think could pass a background check for a SIDA badge?

So before you say you can do the same job as a Express driver, you should think again, and when you start talking about job knowledge to be a heavyweight express driver, you are way outclassed.
Ground drivers already pick-up and deliver HAZmat. The average ground driver is just as smart as the average express driver, and can learn and pass all the requirements at the same rate express drivers do.

MAKAVELI

Seems like most express drivers don't realize that all fedex ground drivers will be employees once ISP goes national in a couple years.
Not FedEx employees is that it too hard to understand? Once you add the control aspects of the FedEx Express system your contractor status becomes null and void.

bacha29

Ground drivers already pick-up and deliver HAZmat. The average ground driver is just as smart as the average express driver, and can learn and pass all the requirements at the same rate express drivers do.
With a few minor procedural differences they both do the same thing. Pick it up here. Haul it over there .Put it down here. To clarify your earlier comment. I think some if not many Express grunts do not understand the ISP format in the sense that the ISP must own depending on the size of the terminal 4-5 routes minimum. All of his drivers are lawfully employed as employees. And while the ISP contractor is actually an employee of his corporation the majority do not drive a route at least not on a daily basis. I say that because some may still believe that Ground guys are sole proprietor IC/ Owner Operators. Which will be completely eliminated in the next couple of years.

dmac1

Not FedEx employees is that it too hard to understand? Once you add the control aspects of the FedEx Express system your contractor status becomes null and void.
You obviously haven't been involved in the lawsuits like I was- going from fighting for employment rights against fedex all the way to the state court of appeals and winning as an individual, and then being a named plaintiff in the national lawsuit. As employees of a contractor, ground drivers can be placed under the control issues that previously were the problem. Fedex has completely eliminated the control issue by in effect making the contractors into delivery franchises. The ISP model isn't understood by most express drivers, but in effect all drivers will be employees, just like the burger flipper at McDonalds is an employee even if the owner of that franchise isn't an employee. That burger flipper is under complete control.

MAKAVELI

You obviously haven't been involved in the lawsuits like I was- going from fighting for employment rights against fedex all the way to the state court of appeals and winning as an individual, and then being a named plaintiff in the national lawsuit. As employees of a contractor, ground drivers can be placed under the control issues that previously were the problem. Fedex has completely eliminated the control issue by in effect making the contractors into delivery franchises. The ISP model isn't understood by most express drivers, but in effect all drivers will be employees, just like the burger flipper at McDonalds is an employee even if the owner of that franchise isn't an employee. That burger flipper is under complete control.
You are not a franchise you don't own nothing but your trucks.

dmac1

I'm not even with fedex anymore. But fedex contractors do own more than their trucks. They own the right to deliver packages in an area and get paid for it. That is another misconception many like you have.

dmac1

Just curious , I've had 3 different ground guys in my area in less than a year. How's turn over in other areas

Turnover is high because contractors can't pay much if they want to suck out a living off other peoples' labor. I wouldn't be an employer if I couldn't pay enough to hire quality people at a fair wage. But fedex knows that there are plenty of people who like the situation and have no moral qualms about it.

Gone fishin

Turnover is high because contractors can't pay much if they want to suck out a living off other peoples' labor. I wouldn't be an employer if I couldn't pay enough to hire quality people at a fair wage. But fedex knows that there are plenty of people who like the situation and have no moral qualms about it.
Exactly,express could never have contractors be cause of it. They would lose everything

bacha29

Not so. Prior to 1993 RPS contractors did not have goodwill. However under the 1993 out of court settlement between RPS ( Roadway) and the Internal revenue Service contractors were among other things awarded proprietary rights and goodwill Those rights can be withdrawn for just about any reason X believes will stand up to litigation should it arise but they do exist. And yes the command and control issues still exist but while it is by no means in the fail safe mode litigation wise the CSP/ISP format is more defensible from X's perspective. By the way. I just talked to the night supervisor. He concurs Xpress saver and 3 day business is expected to go over to Ground as one of the beginning phases of the transition. What do you have to say about that,Mak?

It will be fine

Just curious , I've had 3 different ground guys in my area in less than a year. How's turn over in other areas
According to this board there is plenty of turnover at a lot of express stations and the new hires are clueless. Hiring is a crapshoot. It's hard to tell who actually wants to work and who is just talking. That's the only skill required that can't be trained. The job is demanding if you don't really want to work you'll wash out quickly.