New branding!

Gone fishin

According to this board there is plenty of turnover at a lot of express stations and the new hires are clueless. Hiring is a crapshoot. It's hard to tell who actually wants to work and who is just talking. That's the only skill required that can't be trained. The job is demanding if you don't really want to work you'll wash out quickly.
I agree and I think that the ladder raises are a result. Next generation isn't into the manual labor too much

bacha29

According to this board there is plenty of turnover at a lot of express stations and the new hires are clueless. Hiring is a crapshoot. It's hard to tell who actually wants to work and who is just talking. That's the only skill required that can't be trained. The job is demanding if you don't really want to work you'll wash out quickly.
This industry as a whole for a variety or reasons is experiencing high turnover. The days of the same guy running the same route at the same time of the day are over. The problem with X jocks is that they believe for reasons I can't understand believe that they are irreplaceable . Everybody's replaceable and they're constant grabbing for straws in an attempt to reinforce their belief that they are irreplaceable and is proof positive that they are worried or at least having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their jobs are nowhere near as secure as they have long believed. As for Exec32's one man rage against the machine and the unbalanced contract terms it still comes down to the same indisputable fact. Thirty TWO. YOU SIGNED THE DAMN THING !. You have 2 choices going forward. Either sell to somebody or get ready in a hurry for higher demands, higher precision and productivity requirements , higher reporting requirements all in the face of heavy downward pressure on settlements. Twenty three years of it taught me two things. CHANGE IS THE ONLY CONSTANT AND NOTHING IS TRULY BINDING.

TUT

I see all the Express Saver or 3 Day going to Ground via truck to existing Ground terminals, all the P1, P2 and 2 Day to existing Airport locations delivered by Express couriers who are only part time workers.

I think what people are alluding to and perhaps easier to say is perhaps Ground will handle Express shipments if they can make the same commit time. In Fedex's eyes it won't be Ground or Express anymore and they have the right to do whatever they like if it makes commit from A to B. Maybe.

dmac1

I think what people are alluding to and perhaps easier to say is perhaps Ground will handle Express shipments if they can make the same commit time. In Fedex's eyes it won't be Ground or Express anymore and they have the right to do whatever they like if it makes commit from A to B. Maybe.

And since ground drivers are cheaper, they won't need express local drivers.

TUT

I think that we can all agree that the conversion is now under way. It's just a question of how long it will take to make the complete conversion. As I said before I believe it will take 10 years at the most possibly as few a 5 years. How ,any years do you guys think it will take?

My gut would say you could be right that lots of plans are in motion, I'd guess a company your size 10-15 years to make it so it is literally just one company, that all operations can use each others systems and equipment. Miraculous amounts of variables.

Purplepackage

My gut would say you could be right that lots of plans are in motion, I'd guess a company your size 10-15 years to make it so it is literally just one company, that all operations can use each others systems and equipment. Miraculous amounts of variables.

5 years to switch all branding integrate scanners and at the end of the 5 i will assume ground will handle all 3 day freight. At least another 5 after that to figure out how they will integrate 10:30/12/3/4:30 time commits to ground

Gone fishin

5 years to switch all branding integrate scanners and at the end of the 5 i will assume ground will handle all 3 day freight. At least another 5 after that to figure out how they will integrate 10:30/12/3/4:30 time commits to ground
I think express will start handling the regional so called one day ground shipments

bacha29

That's a good way to put it. Whatever part of Xpress business Ground can do Ground will do it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Fedex express will disappear. No part ti,e, no nothing. Ground contractors can pick up and deliver packages just as easily as express, and do it cheaper too.
Keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking. Unless and until Fedex controls you to the extent it does its Express couriers, they won't be satisfied. And then you will be employees who are able to unionize. Catch-22.

dmac1

Keep smoking whatever it is you're smoking. Unless and until Fedex controls you to the extent it does its Express couriers, they won't be satisfied. And then you will be employees who are able to unionize. Catch-22.

You really don't understand that under the ISP model, control is just a minor issue when it comes to determination of employee status. The ISP model is likely to pass muster with almost every jurisdiction because the line is so blurry now. Company control is only one of the 10 or more factors that go into determining status. And even with the individual IC it was a close enough call to take 15 years to settle.

The ISP has employee drivers whom the contractor has every right to control, and under the ISP model, it is likely that fedex has the right to ask the ISP to deliver more under fedex's control. As stated, control is just one part of the test. With the extra entrepreneurial opportunity the ISP has compared to the old IC model, control is almost a moot issue.

Just like McDonalds corp can tell franchises when they must be open, and when they must serve breakfast, Fedex corp can tell the ISP when they must deliver certain packages.

FedGT

No you cannot. I would bet that a majority of Ground drivers would be unable to pass a TSA background check for a hazardous materials endorsement.

Do you know how to pickup an 023 airbill, or even know what one is without doing a Google search?

How many of your drivers do you think could pass a background check for a SIDA badge?

So before you say you can do the same job as a Express driver, you should think again, and when you start talking about job knowledge to be a heavyweight express driver, you are way outclassed.

......... How exactly does it make your point if we know what an 023 airbill is. That has to be one of the worst arguments I have ever seen. I guess your argument is that since we have not received any training on something that is completely irrelevant to our organization that it can't be done???

Bet you don't know all the different muscles that go into a hamburger so bet you can't cook one.

Also yes I would also bet you that the majority of ground drivers can get tsa clearance. Me and my bc ran an airport route last year for a guy and it didn't take much for us both to get clearance. Their background check isn't much more tedious than fedex's

Exec32

[
You really don't understand that under the ISP model, control is just a minor issue when it comes to determination of employee status. The ISP model is likely to pass muster with almost every jurisdiction because the line is so blurry now. Company control is only one of the 10 or more factors that go into determining status. And even with the individual IC it was a close enough call to take 15 years to settle.

The ISP has employee drivers whom the contractor has every right to control, and under the ISP model, it is likely that fedex has the right to ask the ISP to deliver more under fedex's control. As stated, control is just one part of the test. With the extra entrepreneurial opportunity the ISP has compared to the old IC model, control is almost a moot issue.

Just like McDonalds corp can tell franchises when they must be open, and when they must serve breakfast, Fedex corp can tell the ISP when they must deliver certain packages.
Economic dependence is another element to review for contractors status. Which by the way probably classifies 99.99999℅ of contractor entities as fedex entities.