new bulk stop

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Part of the purpose of Basic is to save miles. These are primarily rural stops. What good would it do to have a seperate air driver delivering these boxes in the same areas as the regular driver. The regular driver is at some of these same stops or at least the same roads. We get the gravy part of the movement of these pkgs and the post office gets the leftovers. We don't have air drivers by us anyway.

I understand your point of view but u still cant show me stats on wether or not the majority of the basic is new volumn or suplimented c
shipper diverting ground over 2 downgraded basic. nor r u thinking of how much more ground will be lost 2 basic. also this same idea is out there now for fed ex to try the same and we r sooner or later going 2 have aggressive competition cutting rates on that. Im trying 2 stimulate some thought in this. when will it end. To late door is already open and when the competition starts there version of basic then that little edge we were trying 2 get will b gone.

Thus the circle of life, i meant shipping. None of this I mention? even sound remotely possable.

Show me that its new volumn and Ill leave it b.

And i do alot of resi air also. commercial and resi stops right around the ground guys who are greatful Im helping have take a piece of the high volumn of high commets off them.

barnyard

KTM rider
While it may take away some route work (very little), basic service adds sort jobs. The stuff has to be sorted and sent to the delivering center. UPS pays people to do that, so some people are seeing more work out of basic.

bad company

semi-pro
...shipper diverting ground over 2 downgraded basic. nor r u thinking of how much more ground will be lost 2 basic...

The shipper is only offering what consumers are looking for. Just like every other business in the world, it is the consumer/customer that dictates what services and/or merchandise is offered. That whole "Supply vs. Demand" thing; remember that from 4th grade?

The increase in basic volume can be attributed to (in no particular order):
A) Additional volume and new accounts won
B) Volume in which UPS already had, Ground or higher service levels, in which account holders (shippers) are downgrading.

This trend is being paralleled with our higher premium service levels. There is a dramatic reduction in 1DA volume. This shift in service levels resulted in our pilots to agree to an overall reduction of hours worked in lieu of layoffs... remember that?

Current economic trends are forcing companies to cut costs. UPS has taken the same approach in guiding the company... but you already know that.

Consumers have decided that they do not need their products the very next day; they can afford to wait a day or two. Consequently, ground shipments have not been affected nearly as bad as their respective air counterparts.

The very same thing is happening with some of our larger retail accounts. They have determined that their customers can wait for their orders and receive them in 5-7 days instead of the average of 2-4.

USPS and FedEx SmartPost can offer a solution that fits their needs at a significantly lower price. UPS can choose to offer a comparable service at a competitive price, or UPS can lose all of that volume to FedEx and the USPS.

Once the economy picks back up, consumers will want their products as soon as possible. Internet retailers must be able to offer fast shipping and order fulfillment in order to compete with other store front retailers. Consumers will demand faster service, and shippers will oblige; thus resulting in an increase in premium service level shipments and ground level packages. This change in demand will result in a decrease in BASIC level shipments.

Every thing is cyclical... sort of like your little Lion King Circle of Life analogy.

bad company

semi-pro
Without this deal, it might have been delivered by a mail carrier without a UPS barcode. [/QUOTE]

Anyone ever think of how many are shipping threw basic who can afford to ship ground & would of otherwise if this wasn't an option??????????

It doesn't matter if they can afford it or not. As the paying customer, they are the ones who get to choose how they spend their money. If UPS didn't offer the option, they would use FedEx and USPS who also offer the same option.

How much has been lost to basic when they were already a ground customer base before.

Probably a good little bit. Again, it doesn't matter because this is what the customer wants.

Next question, drum roll, when does it end. This new thing is just going to continue to grow and more ground will be lost to basic.

It ends when the consumer demands faster service and better reliability, while being willing to spend more money in order to get their wish.

The only reason to choose ground over basic really is for speciel requirements like signature request and things of that nature.

Wrong... do you work at UPS or not?... rhetorical question, please spare me.

10 yrs. from now ground could be no longer a standard but instead a special in the ranks of high comits like air and E.A.M's.

Maybe if we all drive around in flying vehicles like The Jetsons

Say hello to the future standard. say hellow to Basic. It's convenient, it's cheap and you don't have to wait all day tracking it cause it will be d.r. by end of day so rest assured all is well.

This has only been going for a few months and it's putting a notice to many already. It's been going on for more than a few months. Better late than never though I suppose...

The only way you can say that it's new work and not downgraded volumn is to prove that these are new customers and at least 80% of the basic service volumn is completly additional to our normal average volumn before basic.

What if it's 79% or 30%? Who died and made you CEO? *Again, rhetorical* It is a FACT that we have won new accounts that do use our BASIC level of service, in addtion to other higher levels of service offered by UPS.

Can anyone show me those stats????

Turn your letter of intent in, join Business Development, and ask your new boss to show you those stats. Maybe he/she will oblige. Otherwise, your SOL. No one has to show you anything. You're not that important nor am I.

:surprised::surprised::knockedout:[/QUOTE]

jenaestorgio

Hey, im hearing much about amazon, hehhe!

GAve you encountered Gograbber? Well, it alerts you when your wish list is back in Amazon stock again. This is the game, In Amazon, there are people who are monitoring the selling capacity of an item. If they think that one if hot in the market, they are buying every stock to manipulate the price - often 50 percent higher!

This is the reason why you are paying so high for some items.

The info is cool especially if you are buying frequently to amazon! Hope you enjoy that too!

I think we really have to be wise these days!