New call off procedure

SteeltownBrown

They have started a new call off/on procedure at my center. You still call off 1 hour before the shift starts but you have to call back on 24 hours in advance!!! If you don't you will not be permitted to come in to work. Now a one day call off will almost certainly become 2 forcing you to use up your paid days faster. Which I am sure will result in more warning letters if you go over the allotted 5. Was wondering if anyone else has heard of this. Now the company wants you to predict how long your flu will last. Is there anything the union can do about this insane rule.

QKRSTKR

Show me where any procedure about calling off is in the contract. I'd love to see it. Article, section. Thanks jump man. Cause u will find no such language.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Havent looked to be honest with ya. Your probably right then, just assumed there was an article in there about it. I trust your information to be correct then.

stink219

There is language of maintenance of standards and changes in operations. They can't make an arbitrary rule. Fight it on past practices.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Dude its simple.

Book off 1 hour before your start time and in the same breath book on for the following day. Then if you still don't feel good the next day, wash, rinse, repeat.

That should allow UPS to enjoy another pointless rule that will make zero difference other than showing you, your brothers/sisters, and management what dumb-asses they are. Again!

:fishbashsmile:

C

chuchu

It says the company has to give an employee (no more than) one hr to get to work when they call us in so we call ourselves back in or off 61 min ahead of our posted start time and we are good. Not one thing they can do about it. Although, out of courtesy most call in or off much earlier than that so they don't get in a jamb at the last minute. Keeps the PDS from getting AS mad as he would otherwise.
Some have gotten sick on the way to work and called in. Some came in, saw their dispatch and got sick.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
There is language in some supplements requiring that the employee notify the employer prior to returning to work after a moderate to prolonged absence. However, this sounds like a BS method of getting around the contractual 3.5 hour guarantee by bumping employees via a new BS rule. If it happens to you, file a grievance for your guarantee.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would just call out and back to work tomorrow at the same time. Out tomorrow because you are still sick (or have stuff to do)? Just repeat.

brown_trousers

Lol... its a ridiculous rule that cant be enforced. As far as the our disciplinary progression works, you can call in ANY time before a shift for a sick day. And when you come back to work you are still GUARANTEED your 3.5 hours even if dont give them 24 hr notice.

Our contract always supercedes those petty little rules they try to create!