New Company Tactics

VTBrown

Nope 18 years at ups

I recall in 97 when UPS sent out huige packets with their offer. You all will make money.

We will look back in 5 years and see if the average upsers wage percentage increase or ups profit increase is more. I think you know what the answer will be.

You can't really look at it that way. I'm sure the largest growth in profit (an opinion) is in the International market. Something we do not really have all that much effect on day to day.

Let's face it and stop complaining about money. Thats not the beef with this contract. The extremely small percentage of UPSr's who are here are upset with much of the non economic language.

You OBVIOUSLY must understand the countless posts here telling us to vote no are completely ridiculous. Take your energy away from this site and out in public to your fellow employees. Your not doing anything here but venting in all reality.

Much like "The Voice"......my god.

tieguy

Banned
No....your view is still clouded by being in management no matter how you want to spin it.

And your view is pretty clouded by the peasant syndrome. You think anyone in a position of leadership anywhere in your community, job or country is one out to oppress and steal from the average joe.

It's pretty freaken common for management to tote the "volume" is down crap. Yet since the paper allowance and EDD came into play they somehow found a way to add more stops per car on us.

I'm sorry I was using some reference material that showed me last years volume numbers and this years volume numbers. what you then do is compare those numbers. You then can covert the difference to a percentage. Had you you stayed awake in high school you would then have been able to use the same material and say "wow the volume is down ten percent this month". Its all simple math. No management perspective included in the formula.

Volume is down...yet we were dispatched with a 24 car plan recently (Friday)with 11 going out in the red :rolleyes:

Some people are meant to develop 24 car plans some are meant to sleep in math class in high school and then hump the 24 car plans the rest of their lives.

Until DHL stops hiring complete door knobs we have nothing to fear from them. They will always be able to get the customer that wants it as cheap as possible. No different then when they were Airborne.

FDX with it's formula just does not service the rural commercial and residential customers in a way that will ever win them huge national growth.

Right now FDXG is like the old UPS - "Oh...sorry I'm early today but I won't be back later. I'll take what you have, the rest can go tomorrow."

WHEN THOSE THINGS start changing is when we really need to be nervous.

after a rough start your post got a little better. I hope you're right. At the same time you appear to try to discount the point that volume will start diverting if this contract does not settle. You also appear to try to discount that we lose volume to our competitors in general. Thos 3 million or so packages fdx is delivering are the ones they aren't screwing up. So your're theory is not necessarily a blanket rule. Apparently there are 3 million customers out there that think fdx is good stuff. Before 97 those were all our packages.

browned out

You can't really look at it that way. I'm sure the largest growth in profit (an opinion) is in the International market. Something we do not really have all that much effect on day to day.

Let's face it and stop complaining about money. Thats not the beef with this contract. The extremely small percentage of UPSr's who are here are upset with much of the non economic language.

You OBVIOUSLY must understand the countless posts here telling us to vote no are completely ridiculous. Take your energy away from this site and out in public to your fellow employees. Your not doing anything here but venting in all reality.

Much like "The Voice"......my god.

So management here in the US will not share in the increased international profits which they have no effect on. Tell corporate that you don't want a percentage of the internation profit.

Please rethink

VTBrown

You see Tie this is the problem with you. I didn't attack you, yet you want to attack me. It discredits a lot of what you say and it actually supports most people's belief of management here at UPS.

I didn't say we were not losing packages to FDX. Though to think FDXG's growth success is only due to winning accounts from UPS is plain silly.

Ask any FedEx driver how their volume is now that RPS is FDXG. Lot's and I mean lot's of the original Express volume, mainly Express Saver is now at FDXG.

A lot of the growth numbers FDX totes for FDXG is/was at the expense of FedEx.

How do I know that? Well I was a FedEx courier for 4 years in NH. I'm still friendly with my ex-drivers and we talk. The FedEx courier covering our centers town, has gone to split shifts. She comes over...delivers her packages and then goes on a 2 to 3 hour lunch while she waits for pick ups. It's like that to varying degrees in their whole center now.

So your "before 97" comment really doesn't hold any value to me. Sure I'm convinced a good portion of those packages were UPS's. Though a good portion were RPS's and Airborne's as well.

You don't have the numbers, yet we are tot take your word as gospel on it.

Just the same that we are to believe that the down turn in UPS volume from last year is ONLY because we are losing packages to the competition. It couldn't be for much bigger global problem could it?

All of the onus has been put on us - the drivers to save the volume. When I can tell you from experience that I just entered two leads. True volume producing NEW leads. Sure small...but new volume and guess what. Following the progress at UPSers.com showed that sales can at times be a real problem here. The first one got passed around to different people for 5 days before he was finally called the first of the following week. The second? Disqualified for being on the "do not call list". All the while being entered perfectly through my diad, full name etc....

At the same time, I was the only driver in our center interested in being on the sales lead team. So I used my spare time to try and find ways of making things easier for us.....

One thought....let me have access to an email account to have contact with our sales executive. I would pool the drivers concerns, tips on volume that were not really lead ready and any other important info. Regularly email it to him and help be the middle man with our center.

He wanted absolutely no part of it....pretty much blew it off and said thats what the DIAD is for.

I asked for him to be part of our morning PCM's when he is there. To come in offer generic ground level advice to drivers for identifying and then breaking the ice with potential new leads. Instead of being at one once a month or so and just saying "anyone got any questions?"

Nope....sounded foolish and wasn't really interested.

So..as you can guess....we now have NO ONE involved with anything that has to do with leads at the center.

That is the truth of the joke about us needing to be worried about the competition. Let alone the fact that we need to hear every day how volume is down yet our stop counts are higher then they were in the past.

Get down of your high horse and look at it from the ground level. I've tried and I was met with absolute no interest from sales. The drivers themselves do NOT want to add MORE work to their day.

So you can come back and attack if you like. I'm more then happy with my life, love my kids, enjoy my job and especially enjoy the fact that I didn't have to finish college to actually be making more then my management partners on the operational level.

I go home and don't have to answer the phone if it rings.

browned out

You are right the problem is not the financials in this offer

Most full time drivers that I talked to would take no raise

to get rid of the bad new language

d-rek357

if ups really feels that volume is diverting and is scared for our future, maybe they should offer a contract that doesnt offend everyone but tieguy.

tieguy

Banned
Nope 18 years at ups

I recall in 97 when UPS sent out huige packets with their offer. You all will make money.

We will look back in 5 years and see if the average upsers wage percentage increase or ups profit increase is more. I think you know what the answer will be.

as you pull in 32 bucks an hour. Lot of hysteria coming from an 18 year driver.

tieguy

Banned
if ups really feels hat volume is diverting and is scared for our future, maybe they should offer a contract that doesnt offend everyone but tieguy.

ah another self appointed leader of the union. I think you might find there is someone else besides myself that is not offended when the vote comes in.

browned out

ah another self appointed leader of the union. I think you might find there is someone else besides myself that is not offended when the vote comes in.

Right There will be people who vote yes who are duped, did not read it or scared into voting for this abomination.

The regrets will last 5 years.

I hope that I am wrong.

browned out

you sure r smart, maybe u can tell me why i, a 9 year part-timer still waiting on a full time job should vote yes to this contract. seeing as they are still creating 22.3. but i guess everyone with 25+ years at ups are going to retire opening a job for me, right.

Please let us know when you go full time. I have a feeling with the new language you will have to jump thru alot of hoops and deal with alot of management game playing. Good Luck

ihadit

You see Tie this is the problem with you. I didn't attack you, yet you want to attack me. It discredits a lot of what you say and it actually supports most people's belief of management here at UPS.

I didn't say we were not losing packages to FDX. Though to think FDXG's growth success is only due to winning accounts from UPS is plain silly.

Ask any FedEx driver how their volume is now that RPS is FDXG. Lot's and I mean lot's of the original Express volume, mainly Express Saver is now at FDXG.

A lot of the growth numbers FDX totes for FDXG is/was at the expense of FedEx.

How do I know that? Well I was a FedEx courier for 4 years in NH. I'm still friendly with my ex-drivers and we talk. The FedEx courier covering our centers town, has gone to split shifts. She comes over...delivers her packages and then goes on a 2 to 3 hour lunch while she waits for pick ups. It's like that to varying degrees in their whole center now.

So your "before 97" comment really doesn't hold any value to me. Sure I'm convinced a good portion of those packages were UPS's. Though a good portion were RPS's and Airborne's as well.

You don't have the numbers, yet we are tot take your word as gospel on it.

Just the same that we are to believe that the down turn in UPS volume from last year is ONLY because we are losing packages to the competition. It couldn't be for much bigger global problem could it?

All of the onus has been put on us - the drivers to save the volume. When I can tell you from experience that I just entered two leads. True volume producing NEW leads. Sure small...but new volume and guess what. Following the progress at UPSers.com showed that sales can at times be a real problem here. The first one got passed around to different people for 5 days before he was finally called the first of the following week. The second? Disqualified for being on the "do not call list". All the while being entered perfectly through my diad, full name etc....

At the same time, I was the only driver in our center interested in being on the sales lead team. So I used my spare time to try and find ways of making things easier for us.....

One thought....let me have access to an email account to have contact with our sales executive. I would pool the drivers concerns, tips on volume that were not really lead ready and any other important info. Regularly email it to him and help be the middle man with our center.

He wanted absolutely no part of it....pretty much blew it off and said thats what the DIAD is for.

I asked for him to be part of our morning PCM's when he is there. To come in offer generic ground level advice to drivers for identifying and then breaking the ice with potential new leads. Instead of being at one once a month or so and just saying "anyone got any questions?"

Nope....sounded foolish and wasn't really interested.

So..as you can guess....we now have NO ONE involved with anything that has to do with leads at the center.

That is the truth of the joke about us needing to be worried about the competition. Let alone the fact that we need to hear every day how volume is down yet our stop counts are higher then they were in the past.

Get down of your high horse and look at it from the ground level. I've tried and I was met with absolute no interest from sales. The drivers themselves do NOT want to add MORE work to their day.

So you can come back and attack if you like. I'm more then happy with my life, love my kids, enjoy my job and especially enjoy the fact that I didn't have to finish college to actually be making more then my management partners on the operational level.

I go home and don't have to answer the phone if it rings.
Excellent post! I think you finally made some management stop and think before posting a response. Thank you.

boxmonster

WE where told in a morning PCM by management to make sure you vote and IF you needed a ballot to get with them they would make sure you got one:confused:1